GOOD LUCK - and advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good luck to all test takers! It will be a long while before I take the PE, but i will be in the October group for PS test takers :Banane26:

^^ I can't recommend this enough. The confidence I gained from successfully completing the easy problems eliminated my nerves, and helped me focus on the "M" and "H" questions. Work as many problems as you can, and recognize that there will probably be topics you have never seen before. Which is where the CERM (or in my case, the EERM) can save your life. Anyways, save these the hard questions until the very last, and when in doubt, guess. Leave no blanks. I worked the exam this way, came to the end of the questions I knew, and realized I had almost an hour (!) left to check my work, and try and narrow down the answers on the hard questions.
I agree. The first two times (failed), I took the exam, I did not follow this advice. I figured that reviewing the test, labeling the questions (E for easy, M for medium, H for hard), and then going back to answer questions was a waste of time. However, the third (final and passing) time, I used this concept in my practice tests and during the actual exam. It is more efficient because it helps you answer the easy questions first, giving you more time for the more challenging ones. It also builds confidence. I answered all the questions with time to spare.

The first time taking the test, I lost so much time on the first few questions and felt defeated and stressed when I couldn't answer the first questions. I ended up needing to answer 10 questions with only one minute to spare, so I had to guess.

Also, if you start working on a problem, then decide it's taking too much time, it might be a good idea to write notes as to what reference books and page numbers you were using to try to solve the problem. When you come back to try it again, the notes you jot down, will help you save time in looking back thru the reference books.

As one of the few FIVE timers on this board (yes, 5!) I am the poster boy for the "never give up" attitude. It IS passable, all you have to do is commit to passing.

Good Luck!!

Remember, NO ONE asks you how many times it took you to pass the exam during a job interview.

When I took the PE in April 2008 I had a hell of a time getting any sleep the Wednesday night before the exam. I think I slept maybe an hour or two. This probably actually helped me get a decent night of sleep on Thursday night, the most important night of sleep! This may be something to think about. Had the test been on that Thursday, I would have been screwed! Instead, the decent night of sleep Thursday night helped me pass the test.

A few things I remember...

1. I chewed gum during the exam. Helped calm my nerves. If you are a gum chewer, don't forget to bring plenty.

2. I took a whole box full of snacks and drinks. Out of all that, I think I drank half a mountain dew for a little energy boost. Eating food was the last thing on my mind during the exam.

3. I arrived at the exam site 20-30 minutes early. This also helped calm my nerves. I couldn't imagine getting there right at the deadline and then trying to calm myself for the start of the exam. Get there early.

4. Bring your lunch. Turns out they provided lunch, but I had brought mine anyway. Honestly, when you start the afternoon portion, you won't remember what you just ate anyway. Just make sure it's not anything that will upset your stomach. Don't use this meal to see how hot of chili you can eat! This is not the time!

5. Don't get stuck on the hard ones. If you have to guess at the end, it should be on hard problems, not easy ones that you didn't have time to do.

As somebody said earlier, it's just a test. Stay calm. Remember that you have studied as hard as you could and you will do the best you can.

Best of luck to everybody!

To all PE candidates the bes of luck to you in the exam. Remember to pack your references carefully and when in the exam dont just start the paper from the first question but take a quick look through and do the all the easy questions first. You must attempt all questions dont leave non unchecked. Remember you have prepared well and all you now need to do is execute the plan. May the force of passing be with you all.

To all PE candidates the bes of luck to you in the exam. Remember to pack your references carefully and when in the exam dont just start the paper from the first question but take a quick look through and do the all the easy questions first. You must attempt all questions dont leave non unchecked. Remember you have prepared well and all you now need to do is execute the plan. May the force of passing be with you all.

^ ECHO echo

Good Luck!!
Remember, NO ONE asks you how many times it took you to pass the exam during a job interview.
seems unreal now, but during my most recent interview, while scanning my resume & seeing I had recently taken & passed the EIT/FE, the interviewer looks at me and says "first time?" (yes dammit!) I wear glasses, but i guess i still look pretty slow(?) :tardbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: NCcarguy: On a side note.....I also took 2 5-hour energy drinks with me, I drank one before the exam, and one at lunch time, and I never ran out of energy! I would suggest trying this BEFORE next Friday just to test that you don't have stomach (fudgey type) problems, but I think it made a difference!

I let my morning coffee carry me through mid morning, hit a red bull at 10:30. I had a coffee at lunch time, and chugged another red bull around 3:30 or so. That seemed to work for me!

Last edited by a moderator:
As one of the few FIVE timers on this board (yes, 5!) I am the poster boy for the "never give up" attitude. It IS passable, all you have to do is commit to passing.
Good Luck!!

Don't forget me KTULU - I am a fellow poster boy.

When people ask how many times I took the exam - I say "I only passed it once - same as all the rest of the PE's out there"!

And you are right KTULU - you won't get that question on a job interview.

One more thing. Double check the question # on the booklet and answer sheet every time you enter an answer. A right answer becomes wrong very quickly when entered into the wrong bubble. This is especially important on this test, since many questions are skipped until the end. The proctors WILL NOT give you extra time at the end, in the event you discover that you were off by one and have entered all bubles incorrectly.

As somebody said earlier, test out any energy drinks before the exam. Don't start slamming Monster Energy drinks and Red Bull the day of the exam if you have never drank them before. Personally, I was never lacking energy during the exam. The time rush seemed to keep me going. At about 3:00 pm though, I was definitely starting to get cloudy. An energy drink might do good at that point. Remember, most people pass or fail the exam, or so I have heard, by 1 or 2 problems. You have to maintain focus for all 8 hours.

Now as far as skipping problems on the exam. I worked the test from beginning to end but skipped problems that I didn't know how to tackle right away. I was surprised how many I was able to figure out on the second pass, thus saving quite a bit of time by not struggling on them the first time around. Sometimes a later problem will trigger something in your mind that will help on a problem you were stuck on. This method is just another option. Be sure to decide on whatever method you choose before the exam. Don't waste exam time deciding.

Good luck to everyone, especially my students. Remeber the exam is a light jog, not a sprint - do not break a sweat! Also read the entire exam first before you jump right in. Rank each question: easy (E), medium (M) and hard (H) and write down the units the problem is asking for as a reminder when you return to solve the problem. Do the easy problems first. Why? Warms up your brain and makes sure you complete the ones you know (low hanging fruit).

I'm one of your students , took your class in Chicago this Spring....i keep your advice very handy, i will let you know how it goes, hopefully I will pass this time.

thank you everyone for great advice ..GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TAKING IT TOMORROW..

^ ECHO echo
seems unreal now, but during my most recent interview, while scanning my resume & seeing I had recently taken & passed the EIT/FE, the interviewer looks at me and says "first time?" (yes dammit!) I wear glasses, but i guess i still look pretty slow(?) :tardbang:
I recently had a phone interview and was asked if I passed the first time. I did, but it threw me off guard because I was expecting any question EXCEPT that one!

Quote: NCcarguy: On a side note.....I also took 2 5-hour energy drinks with me, I drank one before the exam, and one at lunch time, and I never ran out of energy! I would suggest trying this BEFORE next Friday just to test that you don't have stomach (fudgey type) problems, but I think it made a difference!
Uhhh... the exam is TOMORROW!!! not next friday!

Back