GOOD LUCK - and advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck everyone. For you first time takers, nerves will wear off within the first few minutes. Just get in there and work your problems, you'll do fine.

Good luck to all FE and PE test takers !!! Just qualifying to take the exam deserves applause :appl: We're all rooting for you !!!

Get 'er done. One problem at a time. Don't give up. Never surrender. One problem at a time.

There is nothing to fear but fear itself. Don't be afraid of the test. Get to know it in and out, by skimming through it. Get a feel for it. Work the easy ones (this will build your confidence), then the medium ones, and lastly the harder ones. All the problems carry the same weight.

If you get stuck on one problem, jot down the reference and page you were using to try to figure it out. This will save time when you come back to it. Skip it and move on. Don't worry if you have to skip a few, no one is looking at how you're taking the test.

Get 'er done. One problem at a time. Don't give up. Never surrender. One problem at a time.

Good luck all..like everyone has already said, it is the fear of the REAL thing than the actual questions.. most all questions will be what you have already encountered one way or the other. Just remember, every questions counts so don't forget the low hanging fruits. If a problem seems nonsense at first, just look at the units and do the math to get to the answer, no one cares if you know the basics (I had a environmental problem in AM for which I used this trick, I had never heard of the terminology used in the problem...). You know enough.

Take a deep breath, don't get rattled, and ever think of quitting coz you know you will fail or you are tired or whatever reason. Keep going, just think that this is not worth doing again. There will be lots of "freebies", make sure you check them though, it's worth the time to check rather get those wrong.

In the end, I will quote the words from someone on this board that got me going, "Kick that test in the ass and say Bring It On..........."

Good luck all..like everyone has already said, it is the fear of the REAL thing than the actual questions.. most all questions will be what you have already encountered one way or the other. Just remember, every questions counts so don't forget the low hanging fruits. If a problem seems nonsense at first, just look at the units and do the math to get to the answer, no one cares if you know the basics (I had a environmental problem in AM for which I used this trick, I had never heard of the terminology used in the problem...). You know enough.
Take a deep breath, don't get rattled, and ever think of quitting coz you know you will fail or you are tired or whatever reason. Keep going, just think that this is not worth doing again. There will be lots of "freebies", make sure you check them though, it's worth the time to check rather get those wrong.

In the end, I will quote the words from someone on this board that got me going, "Kick that test in the ass and say Bring It On..........."
SOOO TRUE!

WELL.....the time is almost here, so I thought I would dig up this old post that I did a couple of years ago....I think there are some good mentions in the posts. I will say though that I did decide that the "5 hour energy" drinks were the way to go!!!! Red bull picks me up, then I crash, but these little drinks worked MUCH better.....other than that, and of course the fact that I have passed the exam since this, everything else pretty much applies.....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Good list NC !

I took the FE in April (passed!) now I'm taking the PE in two days...

Good advice on reading the questions carefully and checking units. You do have time.

Go thru and doing the questions you know for sure and are easy, then go back and do the others. You will see things in the questions you've already done that will help you on some of the problems you didn't recognize the first time. Don't worry if you skip over half the questions the first time. It will make you feel good to get the easy ones out of the way - and you'll see that you have more than 6 minutes each to tackle the rest.

I took everything I could to the FE - snacks, drinks, ibuoprofen, etc. I was running on adrenelin - didn't feel tired, but I had my bottle of Starbucks iced coffee just in case... doesn't hurt to be prepared!

Good Luck to all, I'll see you in a few days after the board is open again.

I'm off for the afternnon to do a final check of my materials and to load the car, then a few hours of nothing

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Let the hours of studying do the work and stay relaxed......breathing is always a plus^^ :)

Thought I would move this back up.....MAYBE someone will find it helpful!!!!!

Good luck to all!!! this is truly an exciting time, and from one of MANY 4-time takers on this forum, DO NOT get discouraged if it doesn't work out this time, we're here to help you next time!

Just remember the classic Bene Gesserit mantra...

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

good luck to everyone from another 4 timer.

it CAN be passed, you just gotta believe and don't give up.

Good luck everyone, from a THREE timer. What worked finally? Relaxing. It's a damn test, not your life. You studied...now go in a kick that test's ass!

What worked finally? Relaxing. It's a damn test, not your life.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!!! I couldn't agree more. That's the way I approached studying and the test...people thought I was nuts, but it paid off.

Good luck to everyone, especially my students. Remember the exam is a light jog, not a sprint - do not break a sweat! Also read the entire exam first before you jump right in. Rank each question: easy (E), medium (M) and hard (H) and write down the units the problem is asking for as a reminder when you return to solve the problem. Do the easy problems first. Why? Warms up your brain and makes sure you complete the ones you know (low hanging fruit).
^^ I can't recommend this enough. The confidence I gained from successfully completing the easy problems eliminated my nerves, and helped me focus on the "M" and "H" questions. Work as many problems as you can, and recognize that there will probably be topics you have never seen before. Which is where the CERM (or in my case, the EERM) can save your life. Anyways, save these the hard questions until the very last, and when in doubt, guess. Leave no blanks. I worked the exam this way, came to the end of the questions I knew, and realized I had almost an hour (!) left to check my work, and try and narrow down the answers on the hard questions.

I don't recall there being much of a difference in difficulty between a.m. and p.m. sessions. The same slow and steady approach worked for both sessions. I took the Environmental test with 100 questions, not 80, but I never found myself rushed for time.

Also, at this point (3 days prior) you shouldn't be trying to learn new material, but reviewing what you've already studied, organizing your materials, etc. The night before the test I stayed in a hotel near the test site with a friend - we went out for dinner at a delightful Italian deli and enjoyed a cool beverage. Got up the next day with plenty of time (we each brought 3 alarms!) and generally kept each other loose and upbeat. And yes, we both passed.

Good luck, everyone!

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.
Thanks for the advice and I love the Dune quote (I think I should say that when they pass out the test). This site has been a great help for finding stuff to study and at least knowing that there are others out there going through the same anguish I am.

I wish everyone luck.

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

I will face my fear.

Only I will remain.
I haven't read Dune in so long I forgot all about this passage. Thanks! I printed it and have it taped to my computer and will tape it inside one of my books for the test.

Latest posts

Back