GOOD LUCK - and advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know T_McK, all I know about you is that you have been banned from this forum before, and what I can garner from your recent spate of posts. And I can honestly say that smarmy posts like this one are probably why you have been banned in the past, and will likely be banned again in the near future. You are one passive-aggressive little forum troll.
Hey, that's a little harsh - I'm not looking for any trouble. One man's "smarmy" is another man's "clever".

I've had my battles in the past but what we need to focus on right now is those who are taking the exam next week. They need my help. They might be able to use your help too, if you could refrain from name calling.

"Do not do unto others as you would expect they should do unto you" - from the only Book I need.

I only needed to take the test once, so I will defer to your superior experience level.
That being said, my fondness for the CERM is well known, and I know it good enough that I feel like I wrote it. Worked for me. JMHO.
as far as i can recollect you had taken the test twice. and i guess you are at it again. giving out biased, pre-conceived advise....pls refrain from it. we all have good intentions of helping fellow engineers here... and we all respect each other here....

Last edited by a moderator:
I only needed to take the test once, so I will defer to your superior experience level.
That being said, my fondness for the CERM is well known, and I know it good enough that I feel like I wrote it. Worked for me. JMHO.
I only took the test once myself and probably one reason is I took the advice of coworkers that had taken it once or more previously.

That being said, good luck to those who are taking it next week.

Here are my :2cents:

1. Do a pre exam location trip so you know how to get there and where to park.

2. Double check to see if you have to pay to park.

3. Leave with enough time in the AM, that if your ride breaks down, you can call someone to pick you up and take you.

4. Bring snacks (quiet ones) and drink for the exam

5. Leave a lunch in the car

6. Bring pain killers (atlease 4 pills)

7. If you have arm problems (carpall tunnel etc.) an ergonomic grip to put on the pencil.

8. Dress in layers.

9. Have fun!

10. Keep all recipts for filing expense reports or for tax deductions if comapny does not pay.

Here are my :2cents:
1. Do a pre exam location trip so you know how to get there and where to park.

2. Double check to see if you have to pay to park.

3. Leave with enough time in the AM, that if your ride breaks down, you can call someone to pick you up and take you.

4. Bring snacks (quiet ones) and drink for the exam

5. Leave a lunch in the car

6. Bring pain killers (atlease 4 pills)

7. If you have arm problems (carpall tunnel etc.) an ergonomic grip to put on the pencil.

8. Dress in layers.

9. Have fun!

10. Keep all recipts for filing expense reports or for tax deductions if comapny does not pay.
The reference manuals have a ton of good tips.

I've already had a bad dream where I forgot my yellow slip!

The reference manuals have a ton of good tips.
I've already had a bad dream where I forgot my yellow slip!
Made sure mine was in box and was placed on top.

The drive to the test location is a good idea. Since I work near where I was supposed to test I made a run a couple of days before the test.

Good luck to all. Like many, I didn't pass on my first attempt, but passed last year. You most likely know yourself better than anyone. So, look at all of the advice and suggestions and do what YOU think is the best for YOU. We're cheering for you.

I credit my pass on the first try to all the advice I got, and followed, from the members here.

Good luck to all taking the April '08!

^^ I didn't know that you knew how to do Mechanical Engineering stuff.

I only took the test once myself and probably one reason is I took the advice of coworkers that had taken it once or more previously.
That being said, good luck to those who are taking it next week.
Well, whoever you are you finally screwed the pooch.Even the great, infallible, real Tom failed the first time and admitted it on several occasions. If all of his posts hadn't been deleted we could look it up.

I had a feeling you were an imposter, but now there's no doubt......

^^ I didn't know that you knew how to do Mechanical Engineering stuff.
Well, you never know. I mean, I've thought about picking up a CERM and seeing what I could learn. The guy, though arrogant, obviously has a thirst for knowledge.

Well, whoever you are you finally screwed the pooch.Even the great, infallible, real Tom failed the first time and admitted it on several occasions. If all of his posts hadn't been deleted we could look it up.
I had a feeling you were an imposter, but now there's no doubt......

No sir. I went at this test on a mission. One and done. Took a review class that was one day a week August through April and then studied my tail off until the October exam. I worked problem after problem. I hate standardized tests and did not want to take it again.

I should have taken this exam years ago but putting it off because of my fear of the exam. Plus I got sick of hearing my employers tell me that if you only had a PE the sky's the limit. So I just gritted my teeth and muttled through.

Like I said I wish everyone the very best. Don't stress out over it. You are probably ready to take it right now.

My only advice is stay calm and they do give you enough time. You will be very surprised.

Good luck to everyone, especially my students. Remeber the exam is a light jog, not a sprint - do not break a sweat! Also read the entire exam first before you jump right in. Rank each question: easy (E), medium (M) and hard (H) and write down the units the problem is asking for as a reminder when you return to solve the problem. Do the easy problems first. Why? Warms up your brain and makes sure you complete the ones you know (low hanging fruit).

No sir. I went at this test on a mission. One and done. Took a review class that was one day a week August through April and then studied my tail off until the October exam. I worked problem after problem. I hate standardized tests and did not want to take it again.
I should have taken this exam years ago but putting it off because of my fear of the exam. Plus I got sick of hearing my employers tell me that if you only had a PE the sky's the limit. So I just gritted my teeth and muttled through.

Like I said I wish everyone the very best. Don't stress out over it. You are probably ready to take it right now.

My only advice is stay calm and they do give you enough time. You will be very surprised.
Oh dude, my bad. I thought I was responding to the Tom impersonator. Sorry.

Good luck everyone! This is my second try and I am infinitely more relaxed this time...I think that's because I found out that failing neither killed me, nor made me a bad person, nor did it really ruin my career....it just cost a lot of money that I could be using for other things. At the end of the day I still have a family that loves me and more chances to take a test.

That being said...I hope I pass!

under a week away. just remember to stay calm and not get psyched out about the test...it's just a test. Make some time this week for yourself to do something that you enjoy, whether it's curling up with a good book at the local coffe shop for a few hours or even just playing with your kids (if you have been studying like crazy this might help them too). At this point trying to study new topics wont help...organizing references and notes would be more benefical. Good luck!

Good luck everyone! This is my second try and I am infinitely more relaxed this time...I think that's because I found out that failing neither killed me, nor made me a bad person, nor did it really ruin my career....it just cost a lot of money that I could be using for other things. At the end of the day I still have a family that loves me and more chances to take a test.
That being said...I hope I pass!
Well said.

That's what I keep trying to remind myself as I am in the final frantic sprint of studying here and freakin' out that I only put 120+ hours in instead of 200+ hours, and only have 100 pages of problems I worked instead of 200....and still feel horribly ill prepared. And I really tend to takes these things personally. BUt at the end of the day, other than some lost time and money, if I don't pass, I am no worse off than I was 6 months ago. It's not required for my job and is just more of a "personal goal" than anything at this point. But the fear of sitting down, freaking out, not knowing how to do any of the problems, freezing up, and walking out with everyone on the street point and laughing at me has me all bound up in knots right now.

ack!

Back