Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^Yeah, that is pretty much what this is turning out to be, which I am cool with. There is only one other couple in the class, who already have a 4 year old, but needed a refresher. That is a little frustrating, as we were hoping to meet other couples our age that are expecting. :(

Anyway, the wife is starting to get VERY anxious about projects around the house, specifically the nursery. We replaced a window in the nursery in November, and to make the new one fit, had to do some 'modifications' to the rough opening, including cutting away some drywall. Since I have never done any drywall work, I am counting on my FIL to come help (he lives about 30 min. away). He is a ski instructor, and therefore has not had time to come down, but hopefully will tonight. It should not take us very long to do the drywalling, then I can paint, then all that is left is putting stuff together. I'm doing everything I can to be supportive and helpful, but every now and then I want to say 'Give me some time!', but I realize that once the kid comes, that is not an option. I view this as 'training'. Class #2 is tomorrow night, and will start with a video. I love movie night! :popcorn:

Oh I know. I am not really looking forward to it, except that it will give me an idea of what to expect... :blink:

Let's see, if I can remember that long ago, it seems like I was scared, too. Don't worry. You have the easy part. Just stay close to your wife's face and it won't be too bad.

^^^Yeah, that is pretty much what this is turning out to be, which I am cool with. There is only one other couple in the class, who already have a 4 year old, but needed a refresher. That is a little frustrating, as we were hoping to meet other couples our age that are expecting. :(
Anyway, the wife is starting to get VERY anxious about projects around the house, specifically the nursery. We replaced a window in the nursery in November, and to make the new one fit, had to do some 'modifications' to the rough opening, including cutting away some drywall. Since I have never done any drywall work, I am counting on my FIL to come help (he lives about 30 min. away). He is a ski instructor, and therefore has not had time to come down, but hopefully will tonight. It should not take us very long to do the drywalling, then I can paint, then all that is left is putting stuff together. I'm doing everything I can to be supportive and helpful, but every now and then I want to say 'Give me some time!', but I realize that once the kid comes, that is not an option. I view this as 'training'. Class #2 is tomorrow night, and will start with a video. I love movie night! :popcorn:
FWIW: We had the newborn in a cradle in our room for a few months before putting him in a nursery by himself and relying on the monitor. This approach might buy you some time and let your wife relax a little with respect to completing the nursery.

On a side note when/if you start using a baby monitor, remeber those things all operate on the same wireless frequency, so you might be able to hear the neighbors if they have any infants and are running the same monitor. More importantly, they might be listening to you and you don't know it. :eyebrows:

Not that there is really anyhting to listen to, since THE moment (not complaining here, have not been in the mood either). We are planning to have the baby in a basinet for awhile in our bedroom, to make feeding easier. We are considering just using our wireless home phones for monitoring. Any thoughts on that, oh wise and experienced eb.com members? :bowdown: :bowdown: :respect:

Not that there is really anyhting to listen to, since THE moment (not complaining here, have not been in the mood either). We are planning to have the baby in a basinet for awhile in our bedroom, to make feeding easier. We are considering just using our wireless home phones for monitoring. Any thoughts on that, oh wise and experienced eb.com members? :bowdown: :bowdown: :respect:
Can you set up the phones for one-way full-time transmission/monitoring without disabling the ability to receive incoming calls? Also suppose someone calls will theone near the baby start ring ing and scare the crap out of him/her?

Baby monitors are cheap I say just get a commercial one and be done with it.

Not that there is really anyhting to listen to, since THE moment (not complaining here, have not been in the mood either).
Get used to it. One more shot at sibling time and then put it out to pasture (unless you're going for a brood). :happy:

Just keep the baby in a cradle in the room, like someone else said. I don't know why it is so important to get the kid out and into his/her own room so early anyway. In many cultures, sucha s the one I have married into, the family living arrangements are a lot more flexible. We kept our kids in room for a long time, in their own beds. Everythign went smoothly and I never had any trouble sleeping or worrying about if they were OK in the other room. Of course, transitioning to their own room later is some trouble, but they get through it OK.

We didn't have any birthing classes around here. It was all new for me when it happened.

:blink:

The advice I was given ....

Once the baby is born, do NOT under any circumstances look back at the barn to see what is going on!

That was good advice. Wish I would have received it sooner! :wacko:

JR

I have decided (maybe) that I do not want to catch, or cut the cord. It just does not hold any interst for me, but things may change at the moment. MA_PE: good point. I will make that point to mother-to-be.

We are going to have a bassinett in our bedroom for a while as well. For feeding. And I think that I will just cut the cord; no sense in re-oiling my glove for one catch.. :p

Oh, and I think that we are in the home stretch. 36 weeks today, and our first was born at 36 weeks. So, the bags are packed, and the truck is idling in the driveway..I will keep everyone updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
FL - Hold the camera, it will keep you from doing other things while in there!

My wife had C-sections both times so they sat me in a chair, told me where to aim the camera, and told me when to be ready. The twins however, they wanted me to go over to the two side areas after they were 'extracted' to see them clear the lungs, get the footprints, etc. I did manage to look back and see my wife cut wide open on the table as the doctor exclaimed "All of your organs look good".

When my first son was born, we lived with my inlaws so we had no choice other than have his crib in our room. He slept in the family bed until he was about a year old (and we were well out of the inlaws house). For the twins, we bought a co-sleeper (glorified pack-and-play) to make the nights easier for feedings. They'll probably hang out in our room for another 6 - 8 months or until they exceed the co-sleeper's weight restriction or become mobile.

When we put my son is his own room, the first couple of nights were rough, but after a week he was fine with it. Likewise, when we switched from the crib to the 'big boy car bed' it took one night for him to get over it.

Since the twins have come home, he has regressed in only one respect - potty training. He was making good progress up until that time, so we are now going to try the chart with stars and rewards (bribery is a great thing) to get him back on track.

Funny potty training story--

My daughters are 5 years apart, so there was no regression for the older one, but the younger one used potty training to manipulate us! After she was potty trained well, she got mad at us one night and did not want to go get a bath. She stood right in front of us and peed--just like she was saying, "piss on you!" She was a tough little girl, but has turned into a great teenager.

JMHO, I went in for both C-sections on when my kids were born. 1st C was a surprise/emergency, 2nd was scheduled. We didn't have any cameras in the delivery room. I sat next to my wife's head and let the medical staff do what they had to do. They did set me up with the "scissors" all lined up on the cord to cut it so all I had to do was the actuall closing of the shears. I was more concerned that both the baby and my wife were OK and survived the process unscathed and less intent on physically participating or capturing the moment on film for posterity.

Thanks for all the advice! The wife watched 'the video' last night. I was in the other room so that I would only have to watch it once. She told me that it was very graphic, gross, and to be afraid! :eek:hmy: I'm not looking forward to movie night anymore! We got a camcorder for Christmas, but I think I will stick with still shots in the delivery room. Good luck, ktulu and to Mrs. ktulu! I'm not looking forward to those 'funny' potty training moments, either. Ray, I don't know how you can be on here, I think with twins I would be a zombie...you da man!

^ At least it was honest. I decided to take a Hypnobirthing class to prepare for childbirth, which is based on this premise: childbirth is natural, there's no reason it should hurt, the only reason it hurts is because you're afraid and tense, so you just need to relax. Movie night was a series of women with calm, peaceful looks on their faces, walking around, taking deep breaths, until out pops a baby.

Needless to say, I was never able to reach that state of nirvana, and if I ever saw the teacher again I'd have a few words to say..

Back