Electrical PE Exam - Apr. 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The REAL fun has yet to begin around here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Man, the guys at work are having a great time with this.

Another FE is taking his this October. They suggested to him that he carpool with me to Birmingham.  :rolleyes:

well lets keep talking about the exam. If you took school of PE, completed all complex imaginary problems, and reviewed everything twice, if you fail would you take another online course and what would it be?

well lets keep talking about the exam. If you took school of PE, completed all complex imaginary problems, and reviewed everything twice, if you fail would you take another online course and what would it be?
Seems everyone is focused on a course rather than focusing on what works for them.  Personally, I did not take a formal course.  I didn't want to spend the money, and also, no one knows me and my abilities better than I do.  I will go on the record and say that no course will be a 100% lead pipe cinch guarantee for success on this exam, and if someone tells you that, I hope your BS filter is tuned!  I can't speak from experience, but from what I've gathered, these courses are regurgitated material from session to session.  This test is dynamic, not static.  My first piece of advice to anyone taking the test would be, read the NCEES outline on their website and build your studying off it.  Your weaknesses will become apparent, and from that point, you can adjust your study habits to mitigate/improve these weaknesses.  The outline is clear and concise and will give you the topics that the next exam administration will cover.  Will you see all of them?  Who knows, but if it is on there, it is fair game.  When I took the exam, I would guess that 95% of the material identified in the outline was on the exam.  

From my point of view, I don't believe any course could prepare me in the manner I could prepare myself.  For a lot of reasons, but namely, I had to cover the material (I could go at my own pace, use different approaches, etc.), prepare my materials (no course will do this for you, and no manual/book/binder is an all-inclusive resource... plus, you need to know how to use these resources) and focus my mind and keep my nerves steady.  Some may disagree entirely and feel that a course is the way to go, but I do not for the reasons indicated above.  Just my  :2cents: , whatever that is worth.

Good luck and don't let the wait kill you!  We've all been there, and boy, does it suck harder than a Dyson, but it's done.  Enjoy springtime and let the dice fall where they may.  If you're unsuccessful, you will know where you were weakest and how to improve the next time.

Seems everyone is focused on a course rather than focusing on what works for them.  Personally, I did not take a formal course.  I didn't want to spend the money, and also, no one knows me and my abilities better than I do.  I will go on the record and say that no course will be a 100% lead pipe cinch guarantee for success on this exam, and if someone tells you that, I hope your BS filter is tuned!  I can't speak from experience, but from what I've gathered, these courses are regurgitated material from session to session.  This test is dynamic, not static.  My first piece of advice to anyone taking the test would be, read the NCEES outline on their website and build your studying off it.  Your weaknesses will become apparent, and from that point, you can adjust your study habits to mitigate/improve these weaknesses.  The outline is clear and concise and will give you the topics that the next exam administration will cover.  Will you see all of them?  Who knows, but if it is on there, it is fair game.  When I took the exam, I would guess that 95% of the material identified in the outline was on the exam.  

From my point of view, I don't believe any course could prepare me in the manner I could prepare myself.  For a lot of reasons, but namely, I had to cover the material (I could go at my own pace, use different approaches, etc.), prepare my materials (no course will do this for you, and no manual/book/binder is an all-inclusive resource... plus, you need to know how to use these resources) and focus my mind and keep my nerves steady.  Some may disagree entirely and feel that a course is the way to go, but I do not for the reasons indicated above.  Just my  :2cents: , whatever that is worth.

Good luck and don't let the wait kill you!  We've all been there, and boy, does it suck harder than a Dyson, but it's done.  Enjoy springtime and let the dice fall where they may.  If you're unsuccessful, you will know where you were weakest and how to improve the next time.
Thanks. Your right. The first time I took the test and relied fully on the course material with a horrible instructor. The second time I prepared on my own using practice problems I failed at to build my understanding. Closer to the exam School of Pe offers their class so I took it again to see if anything changed. All instructors were new (no more Nieves who just reads slides and does not give you theoretical understanding of subjects). 2 were great, the other 2 not so much. That helped me to solidify fundamental theory of things. 

now we see if that technique worked for me. Your right everyone is different. I need classroom style. 

I kept mental notes of the things (classes/books) I used to prepare for the exam, how well I felt those things prepared me for the exam, and the references I actually used out of all of the references I brought with me. I'm delaying sharing this information until I get my results.

If I pass, it might be useful information to others; if I didn't pass, probably not, unless knowing what not to do is information others are looking for, but I'll share what I think I shouldn't have done if I don't pass anyway. 

The biggest problem I see is that some of the people who take these classes are shocked after the exam that the class didn't cover that particular area or question.

The simplest way I was able to explain the test to non-engineers: There are a million possible questions you need to study for, pick 80.

No prep class or book is going to properly prepare you if all you do is take the practice test, score well and then think that you are ready. The ideas of what it is they are asking or the theories behind it all are what is important. You passed college, you should be able to do algebra. Why the intense focus on "doing problems"? My biggest hurdle was what formula do I use? Once I cleared that hurdle, I passed the test. Most problems on the test are fairly straightforward, once you cut through all the BS.

Taking a class or not is an individual choice. There is some merit to it, but if you rely on it as your only source for studying, then you might be disappointed.  

The biggest problem I see is that some of the people who take these classes are shocked after the exam that the class didn't cover that particular area or question.

The simplest way I was able to explain the test to non-engineers: There are a million possible questions you need to study for, pick 80.

No prep class or book is going to properly prepare you if all you do is take the practice test, score well and then think that you are ready. The ideas of what it is they are asking or the theories behind it all are what is important. You passed college, you should be able to do algebra. Why the intense focus on "doing problems"? My biggest hurdle was what formula do I use? Once I cleared that hurdle, I passed the test. Most problems on the test are fairly straightforward, once you cut through all the BS.

Taking a class or not is an individual choice. There is some merit to it, but if you rely on it as your only source for studying, then you might be disappointed.  
The ideas of what it is they are asking or the theories behind it all are what is important. Great.

The explanation you have given seems to be the best among others. I have not yet appeared in a PE exam but I get it like this, scoring 100% in CI practice test is not a guarantee pass, but if you work out the theory behind whatever you do, yes it may be. True. Thanks.

Yep, agreed!  I don't understand the "shock."  If you're shocked after taking a course and struggling with the test, your approach was entirely insufficient.  Having good materials and knowing how to use them, I would argue, is  more valuable than any course money can buy.

3 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: The biggest problem I see is that some of the people who take these classes are shocked after the exam that the class didn't cover that particular area or question. The simplest way I was able to explain the test to non-engineers: There are a million possible questions you need to study for, pick 80.

The ideas of what it is they are asking or the theories behind it all are what is important. Great.The explanation you have given seems to be the best among others. I have not yet appeared in a PE exam but I get it like this, scoring 100% in CI practice test is not a guarantee pass, but if you work out the theory behind whatever you do, yes it may be. True. Thanks.
I studied mist effectively by categorizing and copying every single formula I could find and organizing them according to the outline NCEES provides. This, plus a lot of 'examples' yielded good results for me.

I studied mist effectively by categorizing and copying every single formula I could find and organizing them according to the outline NCEES provides. This, plus a lot of 'examples' yielded good results for me.

I agree with you in the sense that if you have studied until your mind feels like it's going to explode then the main thing left is how well you've organized your material.  I expanded my GA Tech course manuals with additional info from the internet and also re-tabbed.  I also cross-referenced those sections with appropriate problems from CI, Spinup and NCEES sample test.  Finally I meticulously prepared my note sheet over a two-week period.  Just knowing where everything increased my confidence and prevented me from having panic attacks.  Plus the info was further ingrained into my brain. 

My State Board's website says "There will not be another update until May 19." In the PE Exam section. 

However, this section of the website posts the status of applications that are under review to sit for the exam. 

View attachment 9464

Interesting picture above...

So if you pass the exam you have 5 months to get 30 PDH's for renewal - what if you took courses in 2017 but before you were licensed? I happen to like the way Texas allows their PEs to take a exception for their first renewal...I think that's fair.

I'm not sure if that note applies to *newly* licensed PEs, or not, but I think it would be a little unreasonable to expect that to happen, IMO.

Even if you pass the PE Exam, don't you have to submit an application to be licensed? In other words, passing the PE Exam does not grant automatic licensure, does it?

If that's the case, it could be another 4-6 weeks after getting your results before you're "official," which means you really only have about ~12 weeks to get 30 PDHs?

This leads me to believe that the note applies to those who were licensed in 2017, but not newly licensed in 2017. 

I'm not sure if that note applies to *newly* licensed PEs, or not, but I think it would be a little unreasonable to expect that to happen, IMO.

Even if you pass the PE Exam, don't you have to submit an application to be licensed? In other words, passing the PE Exam does not grant automatic licensure, does it?

If that's the case, it could be another 4-6 weeks after getting your results before you're "official," which means you really only have about ~12 weeks to get 30 PDHs?

This leads me to believe that the note applies to those who were licensed in 2017, but not newly licensed in 2017. 
You are correct...I was stuck in the (old Texas) mind set that you had to be approved to sit for the exam which meant if you passed you were automagically licensed. Good call.

It might be that way in my State, but I'm not sure. A friend of mine earned his last October. I remember him refusing to put the "PE" after his name until it was official, but I'm not clear if he had to formally apply for his license, or if his application to sit for the PE sufficed. 

I can tell you that for all the information they asked for, it should be enough to be its own application, but they probably don't bother with the background checks until they've received notification that the applicant passed the test.

Anyway, I'll ask him tomorrow. 

...A friend of mine earned his last October...

Anyway, I'll ask him tomorrow. 
So, I talked to him and I was way off - first, he took his PE Exam April 2016, not October. Second, he told me I should not consider him my friend.

He said he took his test April 15 and got his results May 19, to which I responded, "Hey, not-my-friend, that sounds like you got your results before the Memorial Day holiday - what's interesting is you got your results on May 19 last year and the State BELS website says they will not update their website until May 19 this year. Maybe I'll get my results tomorrow!"

He replied, "With that impressive amount of deduction, I'll be surprised if you pass."

I laughed nervously and wondered if he was serious or not.

He also confirmed that he was exempt from the 30 PDH requirement for 2016 (the year he passed), but he does have to report 30 PDHs this year and then punctuated this summary with, "but you won't have to worry about it anyway."

Thoroughly deflated, I asked if he had to apply for licensure after he passed, or if his exam application served as his application. He replied, "I had to basically write a check for like 50 bucks to complete the application process. The PE Exam application provided the information needed by the State to grant licensure once they had my check."

I thought I was in the clear when he concluded with, "But I'm sure they dropped your application in the circular file once the results came in, you know?"

I was like, "Okay. Thanks - sorry I bothered you."

He was all like, "You suck. I'm changing my number."

He also confirmed that he was exempt from the 30 PDH requirement for 2016 (the year he passed), but he does have to report 30 PDHs this year and then punctuated this summary with, "but you won't have to worry about it anyway."

Thoroughly deflated, I asked if he had to apply for licensure after he passed, or if his exam application served as his application. He replied, "I had to basically write a check for like 50 bucks to complete the application process. The PE Exam application provided the information needed by the State to grant licensure once they had my check."

I thought I was in the clear when he concluded with, "But I'm sure they dropped your application in the circular file once the results came in, you know?"

I was like, "Okay. Thanks - sorry I bothered you."

He was all like, "You suck. I'm changing my number."
The animosity between you two is hilarious.Next step would be a restraining order! ROFL

Back