Electrical PE Exam - Apr. 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth.. I felt the morning was fairly straightforward and the afternoon much more difficult for me.  

I studied about 250-300hrs starting in December. 

The questions seemed mostly aligned with the different areas per ncees guide.  

For the second half, it wasn't that I wasn't familiar with the question but rather the phrasing of the question and provided info.  Lot of theory and much less computational which was the exact opposite to what I was expecting.  

Good luck everyone!
^ This.

I want to say that I feel good about my chances of passing, but I don't want to say it out loud because there is the very real chance that I won't pass. I do remember feeling this same way following the FE, and I wound up passing it. 

My friends at work (all of whom are PEs) are having fun with the fact that it will be six to ten weeks before I get my results, which is why they are telling me I should go ahead and start studying for October. Some even claim to have made bets with each other that I failed.

For what it is worth.. I felt the morning was fairly straightforward and the afternoon much more difficult for me.  

I studied about 250-300hrs starting in December. 

The questions seemed mostly aligned with the different areas per ncees guide.  

For the second half, it wasn't that I wasn't familiar with the question but rather the phrasing of the question and provided info.  Lot of theory and much less computational which was the exact opposite to what I was expecting.  

Good luck everyone!
This one was a lot less theory than october for sure. 

Good information. How about comparing it with PPI/Kaplan/Chhaya/CI practice tests, 
I did all of the CI tests, none of the others you mention there.  I would say that the test was more difficult than the CI tests. 

It's not so much the material, but the way that questions are asked.  The NCEES test has a way of asking questions in a manner that is meant to confuse you.  Sometimes non-pertinent information is provided, sometimes there is a word in the sentence that makes the problem a lot more work, or a lot less.  There was one question in particular on the test that made me re-read it over and over to be sure of my answer.  Of course, after discussion with some work folks the next day on my method (cause I couldn't remember the exact question), turns out I was probably wrong, which is tremendously frustrating since it should have been a gimmie question on an easy topic.  I always found that if I did my calculations on the CI test and my answer was one of the choices, I was always correct.  I also felt this way about the FE which I took in October.  For the NCEES test I had several occasions where my answer was one of the choices, and it was wrong. 

Overall the CI tests do a good job of making sure you have the fundamentals.  There were no tricks, but I felt they covered all of the important aspects of the tests.  However, when I stat down and treated the NCEES practice exam like the real test (spent a Saturday at work with no distractions doing both 4 hour sessions with a 1 hour break in between to simulate the exact test environment/duration) I didn't do nearly as well as what I did on the CI tests. 

On the CI tests I would break them out into 20 question sections and give myself 2 hours.  I would then use my strategy where I read all questions and give them a 1-3 based on difficulty/time to complete, then do them in difficulty order.  By the end of my studying I would routinely get 16-19 correct in each block of 20. 

The NCEES practice exam shook my confidence quite a bit, and sadly there is only 1 of them.

I did all of the CI tests, none of the others you mention there.  I would say that the test was more difficult than the CI tests. 

It's not so much the material, but the way that questions are asked.  The NCEES test has a way of asking questions in a manner that is meant to confuse you.  Sometimes non-pertinent information is provided, sometimes there is a word in the sentence that makes the problem a lot more work, or a lot less.  There was one question in particular on the test that made me re-read it over and over to be sure of my answer.  Of course, after discussion with some work folks the next day on my method (cause I couldn't remember the exact question), turns out I was probably wrong, which is tremendously frustrating since it should have been a gimmie question on an easy topic.  I always found that if I did my calculations on the CI test and my answer was one of the choices, I was always correct.  I also felt this way about the FE which I took in October.  For the NCEES test I had several occasions where my answer was one of the choices, and it was wrong. 

Overall the CI tests do a good job of making sure you have the fundamentals.  There were no tricks, but I felt they covered all of the important aspects of the tests.  However, when I stat down and treated the NCEES practice exam like the real test (spent a Saturday at work with no distractions doing both 4 hour sessions with a 1 hour break in between to simulate the exact test environment/duration) I didn't do nearly as well as what I did on the CI tests. 

On the CI tests I would break them out into 20 question sections and give myself 2 hours.  I would then use my strategy where I read all questions and give them a 1-3 based on difficulty/time to complete, then do them in difficulty order.  By the end of my studying I would routinely get 16-19 correct in each block of 20. 

The NCEES practice exam shook my confidence quite a bit, and sadly there is only 1 of them.
Thanks a lot. It make sense now. Best of luck.

I went through the 4 volume of CI and felt was much easier than the ncees Exam.

CI is a great fundamentals check but not similar to the PE, in my opinion.  Graffeo practice and ncees sample are the most like it.  I was disillusioned by CI until I started on the sample exam. 

Did any of you take the School of PE Power Exam course? Did it seem like a total waste of time to you? I did until I realized I need to use my time more wisely. Did anyone take a course they really liked? I did buy Graffeo's prep book and found it somewhat useful but he lacks a code section.

Thanks.

I'll tell you this, it was a MILLION times better this time vs what it has been in the past!   Though I did find it very useful for the FE. Heck, I have been out of school for 22 years. Took the FE for the first time last year and I do think that the sope FE course did help me pass. BUT the PE - with our boy Nieves, in F-16, sucked more air, than an A-8 taking off a carrier in the med. 

9 hours ago, Apothe said: So who was the guy that said you only needed the NESC table of contents lol
never trust that guy. I figured that out in October ... 
I would be one of those guys who made that statement regarding the NESC. I only give advice based on my experience and, in that case, advice given in the GA Tech review course. Use it as you see fit. Each test is didferent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be one of those guys who made that statement regarding the NESC. I only give advice based on my experience and, in that case, advice given in the GA Tech review course. Use it as you see fit. Each test is didferent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will say that I was very glad to have had a copy of the NESC with me for this exam. 

Did any of you take the School of PE Power Exam course? Did it seem like a total waste of time to you? I did until I realized I need to use my time more wisely. Did anyone take a course they really liked? I did buy Graffeo's prep book and found it somewhat useful but he lacks a code section.

Thanks.
School of PE was 50% better than Spring/Fall of 2016 because those were Dr. Nieves days. This time around they got 4 PE's, 1 for each section. Circuits and Rotating Machines had the best Instructors Mr. Sarmad Raheem and Mr. Jules (Jay) Marchesseault. The General power/NEC instructor was good but hard to understand his accent.  The transmission distribution guy was not very good, comparable to Dr. Nieves. I forget their names. A school is only as good as its greatest teachers.

School of PE only recommends the Camara ref book and NCEES practice book, this is a big mistake. Elsewhere in the forum many people mention a lot of other references, gotta use those. and ofcourse your own printouts from searching on topics and definitely a few formula pages for quick reference.

School of PE was 50% better than Spring/Fall of 2016 because those were Dr. Nieves days. This time around they got 4 PE's, 1 for each section. Circuits and Rotating Machines had the best Instructors Mr. Sarmad Raheem and Mr. Jules (Jay) Marchesseault. The General power/NEC instructor was good but hard to understand his accent.  The transmission distribution guy was not very good, comparable to Dr. Nieves. I forget their names. A school is only as good as its greatest teachers.

School of PE only recommends the Camara ref book and NCEES practice book, this is a big mistake. Elsewhere in the forum many people mention a lot of other references, gotta use those. and ofcourse your own printouts from searching on topics and definitely a few formula pages for quick reference.
Glad to hear they are listening to people's reviews. But unfortunately, the damage has been done. 

Glad to hear they are listening to people's reviews. But unfortunately, the damage has been done. 
Yeah. Lesson Learned: Dont put all your eggs in one basket. That applies to prepping for the PE exam as much as it applies to monetary investments.

I ended up using both Testmasters and School of PE to pass mine. 

Dr. Nieves was for the school of PE. The testmasters was the professor that is on the youtube videos for the majority of lectures except for the code section. I took school of PE and retook the test with testmasters and the combination got me through. 

The REAL fun has yet to begin around here.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back