Electrical PE Exam - Apr. 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All,

I need a help to pass my next PE Exam, i did this exam twice at last October and this last April, i feel i did better at April comparing to last October but still did not pass, i used as much as i can from the above mentioned references but now i am disappointed and need help to get properly prepared to the exam by organizing the references and books and some extra drills, both exams i did poor at 35/80 for October 2016 and 34/80 for April 2017 which surprised me!

Your help highly appreciated.

@ Mobius thank you, i was using the following references:

1. NEC, 2014
  2. THE ELECTRICAL ENGINEER'S GUIDE TO PASSING THE POWER PE EXAM, ALEXANDER GRAFFEO
  3. COMPLEX IMAGINARY POWER PRACTICE EXAM
  4. SPIN-UP FOR THE ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING PE EXAM (POWER), CORY LANZA
  5. CAMARA PRACTICE PROBLEMS
  6. CAMARA POWER REFERENCE MANUAL
  7. HAND-WRITTEN STUDY BINDER FROM ELECTRICALPEREVIEW.COM
  8. NCEES PRACTICE EXAM

@ Mobius thank you, i was using the following references:

1. NEC, 2014
  2. THE ELECTRICAL ENGINEER'S GUIDE TO PASSING THE POWER PE EXAM, ALEXANDER GRAFFEO
  3. COMPLEX IMAGINARY POWER PRACTICE EXAM
  4. SPIN-UP FOR THE ELECTRICAL AND COMPUTER ENGINEERING PE EXAM (POWER), CORY LANZA
  5. CAMARA PRACTICE PROBLEMS
  6. CAMARA POWER REFERENCE MANUAL
  7. HAND-WRITTEN STUDY BINDER FROM ELECTRICALPEREVIEW.COM
  8. NCEES PRACTICE EXAM
First, I'm no expert.  I will only say that I took the test 20 years after school, have a degree that is not in EE, and had no clue where to start.  This is what worked for me.  I paid the money for the School of PE refresher course.  I know it's a lot, but it's less than many and more than some.  It's in the middle.  I have some issues with the class in little things, but overall it's a good idea to get instruction rather than try to haphazard your way through.  

Second, dedicate yourself for around 3 months prior to the test.  Most people will recommend various time ranges from 1 week to 6 months.  Here's why I like longer times.  Let's say you assume you're planning to spend 100 total hours on studying for the test.  You could take 24 hours a day for 4 days prior to the test.  And then you'd be wiped out.  Or you could spend 8 hours a day for the last 2 weeks, which is probably still going to wear you out.  Or you could spend 4 hours a day for the last month.  But that's real dedication and no time for any breaks.  So I did 4 hours a day every other day, but I allowed some weekends and some time with family and just breaks for a day sometimes.  After 3 months I had completed all of the materials of the refresher, taken 2 practice exams, and still managed to have a life on occasion.  So give yourself more time than you think you need so you can take breaks.

Analyze your reports and figure out where you need help the most.  Find someone who knows those areas and ask them to teach you.  Remember, I'm a 20+ yr out of school and I took Physics.  I asked ended up getting help from one of the drafters I work with who is studying for his EIT.  It's not a shame to ask, most everyone wants you to pass.

For my practice exams I actually took 2 plus a third kind of.  The first time I sat down with a practice exam, I was methodical.  I addressed each question until I had the right answer.  As I went I marked up and tabbed my reference materials with subject matter.  So I knew where to find answers to types of questions quickly.

The last part comes from my wife.  She recommended that I actually take the test as if it was test day using a practice exam.  She proctored the test and I took all my reference materials to a conference room at work on a Saturday.  I spent 4 hours on the AM portion and 4 hours on the PM portion.  She also gave me a strategy that I would never have thought to use.  One is the classic read every question answer easy one etc that everyone knows.  But she told me to take a break in the middle of each session.  Stop working at the 2 hour mark of the test and just breath.  go to the bathroom and splash water on your face.  just relax for a few minutes and then go back to it.  It really helped my stress less than I normally do.

Here's some off the wall things I also did.  Go to Youtube.  Seriously.  Search subject matters that you struggle with.  It's amazing how much information you will find.  Not because it's the best information, but because it's often the stuff you already know presented in a different way.  Everyone learns in different ways.  Absorb as many different explanations of a subject that you can find.  Electrical PE Review on YT is a great source for material.  But I also found Learn Engineering has some great visuals on concepts that help make things click in your head.  Their series on induction and synchronous motors is incredibly helpful.

That's all I have.  I know it's not "the answer" but I hope it helps.  Others with have different and maybe even more useful advice also.

@Mobius great job explaining a strategy that worked for you. I'm sure others will benefit from it. Here are some youtube links that helped me understand more the concepts I reviewed from my textbooks to supplement @Mobius post.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnd9K2cN1WicLyr-o3_ytCA

https://www.youtube.com/user/shriefsaed

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrMuhammad2010

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoTRQknkwX5_Xv5s7m3v31g

https://www.youtube.com/user/ValenceETS

https://www.youtube.com/user/BTCInstrumentation

https://www.youtube.com/user/ABBPOWER

You get the idea!

Hello All,

I need a help to pass my next PE Exam, i did this exam twice at last October and this last April, i feel i did better at April comparing to last October but still did not pass, i used as much as i can from the above mentioned references but now i am disappointed and need help to get properly prepared to the exam by organizing the references and books and some extra drills, both exams i did poor at 35/80 for October 2016 and 34/80 for April 2017 which surprised me!

Your help highly appreciated.

Here's some off the wall things I also did.  Go to Youtube.  Seriously.  Search subject matters that you struggle with.  It's amazing how much information you will find.  Not because it's the best information, but because it's often the stuff you already know presented in a different way.  Everyone learns in different ways.  Absorb as many different explanations of a subject that you can find.  Electrical PE Review on YT is a great source for material.  But I also found Learn Engineering has some great visuals on concepts that help make things click in your head.  Their series on induction and synchronous motors is incredibly helpful.
I've said it a couple of times already, but I recommend @Electrical PE Review for a review course. I took his online review course leading up to the PE. Passed it on the first try.

The material is presented in a very concise manner and Zach is very responsive via email. The videos are top-quality and he has an excellent introduction that really puts the exam in perspective.

I made a 1" three-ring study binder from his course and never once referenced it...not because it wasn't useful, but because I was able to retain the information much better since I wrote it down myself instead of just highlighting another person's material.

He has a pass guarantee - if you take his review course and you don't pass, I believe he lets you take the course again for free, so you really don't have anything to lose.

I spent approximately 8 to 10 hours per week and finished his course in 11 weeks, so lots of great information to cover.

Back