Christmas gifts /

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just learned my office has an interesting Xmas gift tradition. We get a lot of gifts from contractors, consultants and clients. Some addressed to the company, others are addressed to the respective project team members. Each of the gifts are piled up under the tree, then on the last Friday before the Xmas holiday break we have a lunch party. During the party, we are then allowed to select any gift under the tree, one at a time, until they're all gone. The selection order is based on seniority. Any personalized cards are given to the appropriate person it was addressed to.

In years past, everyone goes home with 2-3 gifts.

It sucks that everyone is so butt hurt about giving presents - we were “ordered”
Not to do anything but the corporate email card - so fucking stupid...I won’t be sending that to anyone for **** sure

Also christmas break hasn’t even started yet and I’m already sick of my kids laying around on their ass all the time...

The kids ended their school year on Friday last week. They don't go back to school again until the end of January (summer/Xmas break). The adults' Xmas break starts this coming Friday and most of us don't go back until Jan 7th. The whole country basically shuts down for 2 weeks (some are closed for 3), minus the "essential" stuff like emergency services and retail. A few construction projects will still continue, but only if they are on critical roads since the traffic is significantly less. Most of the hospitals send as many patients home as they can (within reason).

Really hard to believe my oldest starts high school in 6 weeks...

When I was a kid, my dad worked at a sign company. They’d make the signs here, but he would coordinate with installers wherever the signs were going to be put up.  Installers were always trying to send him stuff for Christmas but he was never allowed. One summer we went to a lodge at a state park with a big lake and rented a boat and jet ski for a long weekend. Apparently one of the installers called the office looking for him and they told him we were on vacation. We took the boat/jet ski back to the marina at the end of the day and dad went to pay the bill. Guy says both had already been paid for as well as our fuel for the day. Guy tracked down where we’d gone and called up and paid for everything...don’t remember how much it was, but it had t be a couple hundred $$$.

I bought my dad a really nice Movado once I started working.

He promptly switched it for an applewatch when those became a 'thing'.  I was distraught until he bought me an Invicta to apologize.  I am now trying to trick him into buying me a Charriol.

I am giving to several people (who have everything and are hard to buy for) “The Best Jar Opener EVER” as defined by me - oil filter pliers.

You laugh, but we once bought a pair of golf-ball finding glasses to our family gift exchange.  It was the most stolen/passed around item that entire night.  EVERYONE WANTED THEM.

s-l300.jpg

The gift I sent my folks - which is the only one I mailed 2 weeks early is now looking to be lost by UPS and the **** we sent out last Tuesday via USPS govt mail has all already been delivered?

I ended up getting an engine oil cooler, two books on racecar aerodynamics, some welders pencils (they mark/show up on metal and don't clog up like sharpies do), and a couple t-shirts.  Pretty good!

Back