Christmas gifts /

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a news story about a guy going around stealing those off peoples doors.. it made me LOL

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/contact7/thief-caught-on-camera-stealing-video-doorbell
LOL.  This is their actual alarm system.  Indoor motion sensors, door and window contact sensors.  All wireless with battery and cellular backup.  We're adding the doorbell and three of their spotlight cameras.  We could get by with two, but I want one right at the corner of the garage just to piss the asshole neighbor off, knowing we can see everything he does regardless of whether he's in his front yard or the back.

What's actually kind of neat is that there's a RING neighborhood feature to the alarm app.  Gives you updates whenever neighbors report ****, including the option of uploading their camera footage so you can get a look at people who steal packages, sketchy vans trolling the neighborhood, etc.  It also shows a location map of all the crimes reported (by police) in a given span.  We're getting more and more break-ins in the area as all the developers flood the outskirts with apartment complexes.  Hopefully some big ass LED floodlight cams are a nice deterrent, LOL.

What's even funnier was the look on Junior's face when I told her that I'll be able to check when she comes home or leaves the house, including trying to sneak in/out, so I've effectively ruined her high school social life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mrs. Supe got a RING security system.  Spent all last Friday installing it.  Merry xmas.
Weird.  My wife asked for this too.  I got the remote mount camera.  Ill get to install it over xmas break I'm sure.  I hope it doesnt call me everytime the dog walks by.

Weird.  My wife asked for this too.  I got the remote mount camera.  Ill get to install it over xmas break I'm sure.  I hope it doesnt call me everytime the dog walks by.
They do a decent job of discriminating people from pets.  With the cameras, you can also set "motion zones", i.e. you can ignore certain areas within view to not trigger it.  

Mrs. Supe is really OCD about leaving the house (double checking doors, locks, etc.), so its really eased her anxiety knowing that her phone can tell her that anything that happens in the house.

I've been thinking about that Ring/Nest doorbell camera as well.

I haven't pulled the trigger simply because of the region that I live in. I don't think think those cameras can take several winters of -15 to -20 nights. I'm really curious on how they work in the cold though.

I got a Ring doorbell and now I'm looking into the floodlights. The only issue is that the location that I'd like to install the floodlight is much higher than I can reach myself, so I'd need to hire someone to come do it for me. I'm also a little unsure how well the camera will work at that height, so I've been doing some research on it. The security system will be next if the doorbell and floodlight go well.

I haven't pulled the trigger simply because of the region that I live in. I don't think think those cameras can take several winters of -15 to -20 nights. I'm really curious on how they work in the cold though.
My issue is just the opposite.  It gets direct sunlight, and some have been noted as prone to overheating.

I got a Ring doorbell and now I'm looking into the floodlights. The only issue is that the location that I'd like to install the floodlight is much higher than I can reach myself, so I'd need to hire someone to come do it for me. I'm also a little unsure how well the camera will work at that height, so I've been doing some research on it. The security system will be next if the doorbell and floodlight go well.
I'd think you be fine if you can angle it down.  I plan one about where our flag pole used to be mounted to capture the side yard and front door, one on the corner of the garage which will cover the driveway/garage/back entry gate, and one by the back door which will cover the door, yard, and tool shed.

Setup wasn't bad - a few of the sensor "handshakes" required some removing/reinstalling batteries or removing/re-adding the device through the app, but once you figured it out, it went smoothly from there.  I do like the fact that it can integrate with the cameras, and that they have stuff like CO, smoke, and flood alarms that also integrate.  The app has been very reliable so far.  We plan on adding the professional monitoring at only $100 for the year, which was the big selling point compared to the $50/$60 per month that CPI and ADT were asking with less features.

Although it may not coincide with the temperature rating, my Nest Hello worked fine at about -18 deg F. 

The Nest also has a better wideangle view than Ring. Integrates with Amazon too. Super easy install for existing mechanical door chimes. :thumbs:

I got this for my mom- can anyone guess what it is?

7751d8d144f4a800d4d4bce225059253.jpg

Pervs....

It’s part of a whisky barrel that has been made into a wine bottle holder - it mounts on the wall....

Back