Random Topics 3.1 - Page 130 - Shoot the Breeze - Engineer Boards Jump to content
Engineer Boards

Random Topics 3.1

Wow, so maybe I'm in the minority in never having done it...

I'm thinking of getting some large pan sieves to start the journey of milling my own flour, and think a great double purpose would be for rinsing rice too... This might be a new thing I simply have to do every time I cook rice!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

JUST TURNED IN MY PAPER AND FINISHED GRAD SCHOOL. WOOOOOOOO

My wife died unexpectedly on the 3rd. The ER couldn't save her or the baby. Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It's been fun, folks.  From AC Slatering to treadmills to boobs on a plane... party on, EB.      

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Road Guy said:

We dont rinse the cauliflower rice ;)

It gets rinsed on its own by the garbage juices in the dumpster.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
23 hours ago, leggo PE said:

Wow, so maybe I'm in the minority in never having done it...

I'm thinking of getting some large pan sieves to start the journey of milling my own flour, and think a great double purpose would be for rinsing rice too... This might be a new thing I simply have to do every time I cook rice!

I cook it in water. The point of rinsing it would be ????

55 minutes ago, Unintended Max said:

I cook it in water. The point of rinsing it would be ????

I think it washes some of the starch off of of the rice, which can do things like prevent the rice from sticking together, which in turn gives a much better texture to the rice and better overall cook. I think I'm going to make it standard practice in our household!

5 minutes ago, Road Guy said:

All this rice talk is making me want to stop and get a little sesame chicken on the way home......

Kind of like that Postmates pad thai commercial...

Edited by envirotex
an extra squeeze of lime, please

My parents ordered a new router off amazon the other day. I went to set it up this morning, but I ran into a few issues. Right off the bat, when I opened the box I noticed there wasn't a pamphlet to walk through the setup and there was no user manual. I remember there being one in the router I set up at their office a few weeks ago (same make and model). I didn't need the guide anyways since I had just set one up, so I plugged the router in and opened the Linksys configuration app. The app normally works perfectly for me, but for some reason it wasn't finding the router. I was really hoping to walk through the app setup because it allows me to easily set the wifi name and password (I planned on keeping it the same as their previous router so I didn't have to go to all their devices and reconfigure the wifi). After messing with the app for a while I just decided to look at the bottom of the router to get the default network name and password. When I did that, I noticed something on the bottom. It was branded "Vivant Smart Home - Not for Resale." Then everything clicked as to why there wasn't any setup guide or router manual in the box, and why the app wasn't detecting the router. Somehow Amazon go ahold of a Vivant security system Linksys router. The box was exactly the same as a consumer model, but I guess Linksys goofed when sending them to Amazon? Idk.

Going to return it now and just run up to Office Depot. I don't trust buying electronics off Amazon.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:03 AM, Chattaneer PE said:

My parents ordered a new router off amazon the other day. I went to set it up this morning, but I ran into a few issues. Right off the bat, when I opened the box I noticed there wasn't a pamphlet to walk through the setup and there was no user manual. I remember there being one in the router I set up at their office a few weeks ago (same make and model). I didn't need the guide anyways since I had just set one up, so I plugged the router in and opened the Linksys configuration app. The app normally works perfectly for me, but for some reason it wasn't finding the router. I was really hoping to walk through the app setup because it allows me to easily set the wifi name and password (I planned on keeping it the same as their previous router so I didn't have to go to all their devices and reconfigure the wifi). After messing with the app for a while I just decided to look at the bottom of the router to get the default network name and password. When I did that, I noticed something on the bottom. It was branded "Vivant Smart Home - Not for Resale." Then everything clicked as to why there wasn't any setup guide or router manual in the box, and why the app wasn't detecting the router. Somehow Amazon go ahold of a Vivant security system Linksys router. The box was exactly the same as a consumer model, but I guess Linksys goofed when sending them to Amazon? Idk.

Going to return it now and just run up to Office Depot. I don't trust buying electronics off Amazon.

Or someone bought a Linksys router and returned the Vivant one. 

• Like 3

I bought some solar powered outdoor lights from Lowes over the weekend and one of them was a rock rolled up in plastic - I mean it really wasnt an expensive item, $15? - annoying just to have to drive back to the store and "return the rock"

• Haha 3
15 minutes ago, jean15paul_PE said:

Or someone bought a Linksys router and returned the Vivant one. 

I thought that initially! But I checked the SN on the bottom of the router and it matched the SN on the box.

• Like 1

Shot a 145lb 6-point this morning. Using my dad's old PSE that's older than I am (the broadheads, too)!

Was one of 8 deer that I saw this morning.

• Like 1

Wait.  Was there actual convo in here about washing rice?  YOU ALWAYS WASH RICE.  THREE TIMES.  TRY TO GET CLEAR.

Also, I have peeled hazelnuts before.  It is a terrifying process involving boiling and many little skins going everywhere after blanching and rolling in a towel.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JayKay PE said:

Wait.  Was there actual convo in here about washing rice?  YOU ALWAYS WASH RICE.  THREE TIMES.  TRY TO GET CLEAR.

Yes. You must keep up with the threads!!

I've gotta be honest, I rinsed my basmati rice last night (like 5 or 6 times), and I did not notice as much as a difference as I did with the jasmine. It basically tasted the same as no rinsing, which means I probably won't rinse basmati rice in the future. I think the lack of change might have been because basmati rice doesn't have as much body as jasmine.

1 minute ago, leggo PE said:

Yes. You must keep up with the threads!!

There are too many threads.  I just want to try and talk about working out and maybe baking once in a while.

I'm doing a no-spend-vember this month, because eating out and coffee at work are killing me.  I am now bartering with co-workers.  I am baking cookies for lattes.

As for rinsing rice...I do it more for the rice cooker.  I was 'raised' by a group of Chinese girls in college and it's been beaten into my head.  Wash the rice.  Middle finger for water if on stove.  Fill to lines in rice cooker.  Add good salt.  Always make sure to fluff RIGHT AFTER or else burn on the bottom (which sometimes we like)

Just now, leggo PE said:

@JayKay PE, what does "middle finger for water if on stove" mean??

You stick your finger into the pot of rice. Where your fingertip touches the top of the rice layer, the water level should be at the middle of your finger before your first knuckle (the middle of your finger pad).

Sorry, being nosy.

• Like 2