Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then a couple of guys were up to no good started making trouble in the neighborhood

Does it feel like more than 1 PPV?
I suspect your criteria is 1in/sec peak particle velocity (PPV) which is actually a fairly aggressive limit depending on what it applies to.  For comparison 0.03 in/sec is where vibration often are perceptible to humans and 0.1 in/sec would be distinctly perceptible.  Elevated floors may amplify vibrations depending on the frequency of the ground vibrations.  O.5 in/sec has a low probability of cracking plaster.  You really need 3-5 in/sec before you run the risk of doing any potentially harmful damage structurally.  If you're at .5 in/sec on the 10th floor.  It definitely worth complaining about.

I suspect your criteria is 1in/sec peak particle velocity (PPV) which is actually a fairly aggressive limit depending on what it applies to.  For comparison 0.03 in/sec is where vibration often are perceptible to humans and 0.1 in/sec would be distinctly perceptible.  Elevated floors may amplify vibrations depending on the frequency of the ground vibrations.  O.5 in/sec has a low probability of cracking plaster.  You really need 3-5 in/sec before you run the risk of doing any potentially harmful damage structurally.  If you're at .5 in/sec on the 10th floor.  It definitely worth complaining about.
I'm totes past 0.5

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have you measured it?  0.5 in/sec is pretty high.  I would seriously contact building management and complain.  See if they are monitoring vibrations currently, where the seismograph is located, and ask for data.

feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss details.

Back