WR PM Module: More Difficult Than Usual?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy!

Reaction score
I took the WR PM module for the first time.

For those of you who've taken it before, were the questions and level of difficulty typical of previous exams or did you think this one was easier or more difficult?

I took the WR PM module for the first time.
For those of you who've taken it before, were the questions and level of difficulty typical of previous exams or did you think this one was easier or more difficult?

Timmy, I took the exam in October 06 for the 1st time. I definately think the WR questions in the afternoon were harder. However, the 10 Env and 4 Geo questions contained in the afternoon module were easier for me. I also thought the morning portion was easier this time. We'll see in a few weeks.

This is my first time. I think the morning session is easy for me. The afternoon session is not an easy one but I don't think it is the most difficult one that has been given. The questions are really practical. If you have long enough working experience, you may find that it is not that difficult.

I took the exam last Friday for the second time this past Friday. I thought the WR afternoon module this time around was a little bit easier than the Oct exam. For some reason, I ran out of time on the morning session and thought the afternoon was easier. I made a couple of stupid errors on the morning part that I am still steamed about.

Timmy - care to discuss any further over email? Let me know

owillis

I'm an Electrical Engineer, and this was my first stab at the WR exam. I felt pretty confident with the AM section, as I finished half of the morning exam in one hour.

The PM session was a bit dicey. I did ten problems with a sense of confidence in the first hour, and afterwards resorted to brute force and intuitive guessing.

Dunno...I'm guessing I may have scored between 50 and 55 overall. I'll find out in mid-June.

I'm an Electrical Engineer, and this was my first stab at the WR exam. I felt pretty confident with the AM section, as I finished half of the morning exam in one hour.
The PM session was a bit dicey. I did ten problems with a sense of confidence in the first hour, and afterwards resorted to brute force and intuitive guessing.

Dunno...I'm guessing I may have scored between 50 and 55 overall. I'll find out in mid-June.
Why are you taking the Civil PE if you are an electrical? Switching over to the good side. If someone told you there is more money on this side, they are incorrect. Do you have questions regarding some of the problems in the morning and afternoon?

owillis

I passed the Electrical PE last year at age 51. Before graduating from college in EE at age 40, I did Civil Engineering for 19 years (sanitary sewer design, some traffic engineering, water distribution systems and stormwater collection). I'm taking the Civil PE exam for fun, and in case I ever want to retire and do some extra work on the side. Plus, I was curious to see how well I could test based upon prior work experience only.

There were certain questions that I had to guess on, as I lacked direct knowledge of the subject matter. I missed a couple of bunny questions, but I did come up big on some of the PM questions. We'll see how it pans out.

I took the October 06 exam and found this round to be a little harder than the previous, especially the WR questions in the afternoon. In addition, I found there to be a lot more qualitative type questions as opposed to quantitative. Hmmm? -steve

Without getting too specific, I thought a whole mess of the P.M. WR questions were based on the same equations. I mean it was like a broken record. Overall, very easy for me but I studied like a mad man.

SapperPE said:
Owillis: Do not fish for people to discuss the questions and answers with. Even via email, it is still a violation of your agreement with NCEES. We take that agreement very seriously on this board. If you want to break that agreement, do it without utilizing this board. Consider this a warning.
I just want to know what the correct approach was in solving some problems similar to those on the exam. There were about three questions I wasn't able to figure out after the exam. I was hoping to learn from my mistakes before the PE exam this fall.

owillis

I think that it's OK to discuss methods to certain types of problems, but there is a fine line. We just want everyone to be aware and monitor themselves on that.

We had a gentleman from NCEES PM Roadguy on here once, so we know they stop by now and again, but its about doing the right thing. Plus, there are people the create exam prep materials, etc. who fish for test questions. We just don't want our site used as a catalyst for that. I support those making study prep materials, and am glad they do, (even PPI) but I think Sapper is being on the cautious side, since the test was just Friday, and that is when the 'phishing' begins.

I just want to learn from my mistakes, that's all. There were questions that I had never seen before. I did find a couple of those questions in some reference books that I brought into the exam but still was not able to get an answer that was listed.

owillis

I know what you mean.

I've taken that thing 4 times, and have seen questions each time that I have no idea what they were. And all 4 tests were nothing alike.

It's amazing how many questions NCEES must have to pull from. They are very good about changing it up

I just want to know what the correct approach was in solving some problems similar to those on the exam. There were about three questions I wasn't able to figure out after the exam. I was hoping to learn from my mistakes before the PE exam this fall.
owillis
I'm thinking if you've talked enough about a particular problem to hammer out a solution with someone, you've probably gone too far.

As a reminder, when you took the NCEES examination you signed an agreement that included the statement that you agreed you “will not reveal in whole or part any exam questions, answers, problems, or solutions to anyone during or after the exam, whether orally, in writing, or any internet chat rooms , or otherwise.” This agreement also stated that failure to comply with this could invalidate your exam results.
Handle it however you like, we just can't condone that sort of thing here.

Without getting too specific, I thought a whole mess of the P.M. WR questions were based on the same equations. I mean it was like a broken record. Overall, very easy for me but I studied like a mad man.
I found something similar on my exam. 3-4 questions, from different topics, and with diferent givens, all boiling down to the same equation. (I took the full envl exam.)

Bottom line I guess is that some equations are just important, and that there are only so many equations to go around.

I didn't plan on citing certain problems from the exam (even if I did remember them), contrary to all relies to this post.

I just want to better understand what methods and/or equations to use for certain types of problems. How else to you learn from previous mistakes? Sorry for the confusion.

no ones trying to jump on you but there is a way to ask about how to do a certain type of problem without stating that it was a "test" problem. & we do have ncees people monitoring the site so we just dont want you to get in trouble.

i thought the WR part was about hte same this time. I failed the test in october. But i got allthe WR questions right in october. I got everything else almost completly wrong. Imagin that.

SO i studies the other stuff this time, and i think i did better.

I took the water resources depth in the spring of 06' and 07'and thought that 07' was much easier this year......or it was a question set that fit my experience better. we will see! bump

I thought it was pretty close to last spring. There were a couple of prob. that were much harder than last time but overall probably pretty close. All that matters now is that its over to never be seen again!! :bananalama:

Back