World Cup.. Y A W N.... and Im asleep...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The expression suit up as it relates to football means to put on your shoulder pads helmet etc.........

The expression suit up as it relates to football means to put on your shoulder pads helmet etc.........
I think most people in the world would think wearing a helmet to play football would be a bit silly. :p

Maybe it would get rid of the occasions where "football" players lay down and cry when the Soccer ball gets stolen from them. :dunno: :dunno:

soccer_injury_blog.jpg

drogbadivedailymail_crop_exact.jpg

flopping-is-forever-in-nearly-every-sport.jpg

Somebody call the wambulance...

Last edited by a moderator:
When i was in little league, I was 12 or 13 at the time our coach would be drunk at practice and games. Was just like bad news bears. I think he was doing it for community service because his kids were all older. But he would cuss at us and hit line drives at us. Looking back at it it was a real unsafe environment. One of the other parents stepped up about 3/4 of the way thru the season and took over.

I've coached 5 yo soccer and it's hard to expect them to do everything right. I didn't expect much at all, my main focus was to get them to stop chasing butterflies or picking dandelions.

The news is reporting that a large viewing area for the World Cup in Nigeria was just bombed by one of those peaceful loving Muslim suicide bombers

Yes! There are several football games scheduled for today in fact! I see three games on for today; Australia vs. the Netherlands at noon, Spain vs. Chile at 3 and Cameroon vs. Croatia at 6. :D

Yes! There are several football soccer FOOTBALL games scheduled for today in fact! I see three games on for today; Australia vs. the Netherlands at noon, Spain vs. Chile at 3 and Cameroon vs. Croatia at 6. :D
fixt
It was right to begin with, just because you silly yanks decided to use that word for a a different game (that doesn't utilize your feet) doesn't mean that when people do use the word properly you should try and correct them. :p

A red card is issued for egregious stupidity (see Pepe's red card for head-butting a German player after an elbow yesterday), or for accumulating two yellow cards in a single game.

I used to ref kids soccer for the city a few states ago, I "red carded" a coach once.... when I said kids, I mean 5 to 10 year age groups... that one was a half field so it must have been a 5 yo game and the coach was dropping f-bombs on the field in the face of the kids of his own team when they made mistakes.
My first year after little league, my younger brother was still in the league so I umpired there that summer, ages 5-12. I had to throw out a teeball dad who showed up drunk, launching four-letter words at the opposing players... 5 and 6 year olds.

Yes! There are several football soccer FOOTBALL games scheduled for today in fact! I see three games on for today; Australia vs. the Netherlands at noon, Spain vs. Chile at 3 and Cameroon vs. Croatia at 6. :D
fixt
It was right to begin with, just because you silly yanks decided to use that word for a a different game (that doesn't utilize your feet) doesn't mean that when people do use the word properly you should try and correct them. :p

It was the British not us Yanks that named it Soccer and was named soccer first before everyone else decided to call it "football".

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/06/the-origin-of-the-word-soccer/

In fact, in the early days of the sport among the upper echelons of British society, the proper term for the sport was “Soccer”. Not only that, but the sport being referred to as “Soccer” preceded the first recorded instance of it being called by the singular word “Football” by about 18 years, with the latter happening when it became more popular with the middle and lower class. When that happened, the term “Football” gradually began dominating over “Soccer” and the then official name “Association Football”.

So you are wrong... Soccer is the "gentleman's" name for the sport. In essence, "Football" is the name you use if you are middle or lower class....

:poking:

If it's on the interwebs it must be true... ;)

Punting and field goals aren't accomplished with the use of one's feet? :huh:

Weird...

....and LOL Jim. Well played sir.

I had heard the term soccer was developed by the British. Although I thought it was to differentiate it at the time from Rugby Football. Never heard the part about about the upper/lower class thing. It still doesn't change the fact that most of the world decided it was probably a good idea to refer to the game where you use you primarily use your feet as football.

Yes, the punter and kicker do use there feet in American Football, however, most fans don't seem to count them as "real" football players and the NFL itself seems to be changing the rules to make them irrelevant. So I think it's high time we change the name of american football to "Players only actually doing anything for a few seconds before they take a break to chat about the next play with one another".

And who says Soccer is boring? :p

I had heard the term soccer was developed by the British. Although I thought it was to differentiate it at the time from Rugby Football. Never heard the part about about the upper/lower class thing. It still doesn't change the fact that most of the world decided it was probably a good idea to refer to the game where you use you primarily use your feet as football.

Yes, the punter and kicker do use there feet in American Football, however, most fans don't seem to count them as "real" football players and the NFL itself seems to be changing the rules to make them irrelevant. So I think it's high time we change the name of american football to "Players only actually doing anything for a few seconds before they take a break to chat about the next play with one another".

On that basis, lets rename soccer to "fake some injuries and jog laps around a field for two hours" ball.

On that basis, lets rename soccer to "fake some injuries and jog laps around a field for two hours" ball.
Still sounds more exciting then watching people stand around and chat for 75% of the game.

Still sounds more exciting then watching people stand around and chat for 75% of the game.

That's still 25% more interesting than soccer.

That's still 25% more interesting than soccer.
Wha? :huh:

By my calculations soccer is, at the very minimum, 1/3 more interesting than american football. And that's before awarding bonus points for not having to put up with commercial breaks!

+100 LOTR...

...errrrr, I mean Soccer! +100 Soccer.

:p

Back