When to add the "PE" to your signature?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad I paid thousands of dollars for a degree so I can be lumped together with custodians and janitors.

I'm fairly certain I've seen this issue discussed on this forum before. The need to protect the dignity of the Profession and eliminate things like this happening is an ongoing issue. I've always said that if this continues we're not far away from Adam Sandler's Water Distribution Engineer...

Our company has offices in multiple states and while we don't have the addresses of all offices on our cards, we do work in multiple offices and don't have multiple business cards. We are thinking better safe than sorry. We also don't allow anyone to have "engineer" in their title unless they're licensed.

I agree that if an engineer is offering services in another state it should be clear that he/she is licensed in that state.

Our company has offices in multiple states and while we don't have the addresses of all offices on our cards, we do work in multiple offices and don't have multiple business cards. We are thinking better safe than sorry. We also don't allow anyone to have "engineer" in their title unless they're licensed.

I agree that if an engineer is offering services in another state it should be clear that he/she is licensed in that state.
I've worked in consulting, both for an engineering firm and privately on the side. It depends on what the client's requirements are and also what the specific application is. There's no "better safe than sorry", it comes down to what both the state and corresponding client requires.

As was mentioned previously, there's nothing in most state licensing statutes which stipulates you must indicate the corresponding state when using "PE/P.E." in your signature via letter, drawing, email, etc.

Back