Whatcha Playin?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lemme SMASH

(having a smash bros get together later today)

I'm pretty late on this but finally started playing The Witcher 3 on PS4.  Fantastic game so far.  I keep moving away from the main quest and exploring (walking randomly) which is pretty cool but also gets me in trouble sometimes.  I haven't been able to dedicate as much time  as I want to it but definitely will keep at it.  Can't wait to finish and get the expansion packs!

OK, so Witcher 3 is one of the best PS4 games I've ever played.  The controls are not as polished as some of the newer titles (God of War, AC), but the diversity of characters, story line, and the side quests are above and beyond anything I've ever played.  Almost none of them are "go kill so and so" or "retrieve X", but rather, are legitimate mini-stories within the game.  Leveling is drastically increased as the game progresses, and at no point does it feel "too RPG-ish", i.e. reliant on potions, etc.  

VERY glad you recommended it, Ram, because it would have been totally off my radar otherwise.  
Late to the game too, but I started playing Witcher 3 last month. I don't get much time at it so I haven't gotten too far, and I don't know what level I am yet. All I know is I took a side quest to find some dude's brother and ended up in some shitty mine where a giant spider keeps killing me. 

But the really cool thing is I started reading the books, on the recommendation of a friend, and that has really made the game seem so much more immersive, and given me the right mindset/ethics etc needed to "be" Geralt, and to appreciate his friends etc.  

@Supe finished the game if I remember correctly.  I haven't been able to play that much recently but other than the different schools of armor quests and the main quest I don't have much left (I think).  

You'll need to be aware of your level because the quests can be notoriously difficult if the recommended level is well above yours.  I ran into a few problems where I'd accept a quest and spend hours fighting some monster (and dying) because its level was so much higher than mine.  Once you start leveling up and getting access to better abilities, weapons, and armor the game really picks up speed.

Yep!  I forget where the tipping point is, but you start leveling up a good bit faster as the game progresses, usually because the main story line gives you huge experience points in return.  On the flip side, most of the generic/smaller side quests have little impact other than being fun or being able to find/loot some new armor, etc.  I'd say you can beat just about any mission about 2 levels higher than what you're ranked.  Beyond that, you have to pick and choose.  And level up the mind control spell as much as you can early on - it ends up being used during dialogue, and in most cases, helps you avoid lopsided fights.

Doing a second play-through of Red Dead Redemption 2.  First time I basically followed the story line and would do a side quest or two as I found them.  This time I am actively exploring everything I can as soon as possible. I was hoping to complete all the side missions before I finished the main story (Chapter 6), but there are a few that require access to areas of the map that only come in the Epilogue. I had read there was a work-around to gain access early but a recent update eliminated it.

As it sits now, I have done everything possible for my current progression in the main story.

Doing a second play-through of Red Dead Redemption 2.  First time I basically followed the story line and would do a side quest or two as I found them.  This time I am actively exploring everything I can as soon as possible. I was hoping to complete all the side missions before I finished the main story (Chapter 6), but there are a few that require access to areas of the map that only come in the Epilogue. I had read there was a work-around to gain access early but a recent update eliminated it.

As it sits now, I have done everything possible for my current progression in the main story.
I don't know if I could make it through that one again. Towards the end the mandatory horse riding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Awesome game but I'm to impatient. 

Yeah, going for 100% requires a ton of patience. Finding, studying, tracking, killing, and skinning every animal is insanely difficult. Then doing the same for all the fish, finding and training all of the horses, then picking all the plants. Only have a few left in the map open right now.  I've spent several hours just looking for a parakeet down by Saint Denis (still haven't found it).  I used to do the same thing with Grand Theft Auto trying to find all the hidden stuff.

Going through it this way certainly gives me a true sense of appreciation for the level of detail the developers put into the game.

Yep!  I forget where the tipping point is, but you start leveling up a good bit faster as the game progresses, usually because the main story line gives you huge experience points in return.  On the flip side, most of the generic/smaller side quests have little impact other than being fun or being able to find/loot some new armor, etc.  I'd say you can beat just about any mission about 2 levels higher than what you're ranked.  Beyond that, you have to pick and choose.  And level up the mind control spell as much as you can early on - it ends up being used during dialogue, and in most cases, helps you avoid lopsided fights.
I went back to the first area (White Orchard) and started taking all the side quests to get more points and loot more junk. So far it's worked out pretty well, but I am still at Level 3. I'll get back on the trail soon with the main story. But again, it's cool reading the  book and knowing who Ciri is and what she means to Geralt. 

I don't know if I could make it through that one again. Towards the end the mandatory horse riding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Awesome game but I'm to impatient. 
That's what I hated about the first RDR.  It felt like the mandatory riding was way worse.  I may play through it again at some point, but only to target the side missions from the actual characters and some of the bounties.  I also never tried to rob a train (outside of the main story line), and I'm not 100% sure I got all the creepy stuff that happens in some of the stores, though I think I did (e.g. the guy being chained up in I think the gun store).

I went back to the first area (White Orchard) and started taking all the side quests to get more points and loot more junk. So far it's worked out pretty well, but I am still at Level 3. I'll get back on the trail soon with the main story. But again, it's cool reading the  book and knowing who Ciri is and what she means to Geralt. 
I forget where the tipping point is, but somewhere between I think level 8 and the low teens it starts to accumulate much more quickly.  Thankfully, you can tackle the single digit difficulty missions a few levels below to help speed it up.  It's definitely way slower down low, though depending on how it aligns with main story line timing, there are a few higher ones that seem to take forever to level up through side quests, but you'll find yourself something like 4-5 levels down from where you need to be.  

Yeah, going for 100% requires a ton of patience. Finding, studying, tracking, killing, and skinning every animal is insanely difficult. Then doing the same for all the fish, finding and training all of the horses, then picking all the plants. Only have a few left in the map open right now.  I've spent several hours just looking for a parakeet down by Saint Denis (still haven't found it).  I used to do the same thing with Grand Theft Auto trying to find all the hidden stuff.

Going through it this way certainly gives me a true sense of appreciation for the level of detail the developers put into the game.
Spent the entirety of my 3-day weekend (Queen's Birthday) getting to 100% of everything possible with Arthur, then fired off the last 3 missions. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I still cried.

I forget where the tipping point is, but somewhere between I think level 8 and the low teens it starts to accumulate much more quickly.  Thankfully, you can tackle the single digit difficulty missions a few levels below to help speed it up.  It's definitely way slower down low, though depending on how it aligns with main story line timing, there are a few higher ones that seem to take forever to level up through side quests, but you'll find yourself something like 4-5 levels down from where you need to be.  
Maybe I am late to the party, but I just found out that Netflix will be starting the Witcher as one of it's new series at the end of the year, with Henry Cavill (Superman) as Geralt.  Based on the books, not the games, and shot in Hungary for the outdoor portions.  Sounds like it might be pretty decent. 

Maybe I am late to the party, but I just found out that Netflix will be starting the Witcher as one of it's new series at the end of the year, with Henry Cavill (Superman) as Geralt.  Based on the books, not the games, and shot in Hungary for the outdoor portions.  Sounds like it might be pretty decent. 
I hope so, but as with everything, Netflix is hit or miss.  Henry Cavill is pretty good (I liked him when he was in The Tudors, which was quite a ways before Superman), and hopefully the production values are good enough to not embarrass the game.

Back