What to do when you're up during the night with a newborn

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you prefer to have sharp things near your boys, then by all means continue...

Mr. YMZ never had to get up in the night. You're a good husband, NJMike.

I watched 30 Rock on Netflix streaming, and Portlandia on my DVR.

mr snick never had to get up either but it was more of because there was no reason for both of us to lose sleep if I had to be the one to feed him....not that mr snick ever heard minisnick stir in the middle of the night. Like minisnick, mr snick sleeps like the dead and is a major PITA to deal with with lack of sleep.

For both of our little ones, mrs. ble and I were a team. I'd get up and get the baby while mrs. ble got up and got ready in the glider that we had in our room. I'd hand over the little one and then pass back out while she fed them. I'd then get up and burp (and change their diaper if needed), and put them back to bed. With mini-ble2 that involved holding her upright for 10-15 minutes due to her reflux. I'd usually do this on the bed and there were several times that I would find myself dozing off and quickly waking back up.

Now both kids are great and sleep through the night pretty much all the time. It's very rare for us to have any issues, although mini-ble1 has nightmares quite often and I've had to go to his room to soothe him a few times.

For both of our little ones, mrs. ble and I were a team.  I'd get up and get the baby while mrs. ble got up and got ready in the glider that we had in our room.  I'd hand over the little one and then pass back out while she fed them.  I'd then get up and burp (and change their diaper if needed), and put them back to bed.  With mini-ble2 that involved holding her upright for 10-15 minutes due to her reflux.  I'd usually do this on the bed and there were several times that I would find myself dozing off and quickly waking back up.
This

Wifey and I came up with a system and took turns. She quit her job to be with the kids but I loved to be with the babies in the middle of the night with no other noises that theirs. No TV, no phone calls, nothing.

When they were done with the bottle, or clean, it was special to see them falling asleep again. It was priceless. I have a theory that we are so close as a family because of that, but I can be wrong.

I had the midnight to 3 am shift.... Netflix was my friend.

Raising a newborn is HARD!!!

Got her sleep 3.5 almost 4 hours I my arms I the recliner chair last night. That's huge, being less than a week old.

Wifey and I came up with a system and took turns. She quit her job to be with the kids but I loved to be with the babies in the middle of the night with no other noises that theirs. No TV, no phone calls, nothing.

When they were done with the bottle, or clean, it was special to see them falling asleep again. It was priceless. I have a theory that we are so close as a family because of that, but I can be wrong.

Awesome post.

Mine is FINALLY sleeping through the night at 16 months (knock on wood). Just got over a bout of the croup though.

We bottle fed and I would typically get up for late night/early morning feedings. I didn't do the middle of the night stuff since I don't need much sleep but do need at least 5 hours uninterrupted.

Now if he gets up in the middle of the night I typically take him since my wife became a stay at home mom and it's usually only once or twice.

Yeah, croup cough sucks. Every time my boy gets a cold, esp in the winter months, he's sure to get the croup cough with it.

HFS the croup scared my wife sh*tless with our first born. Not serious, but not at all fun.
Yeah I remember couple months prior I saw a youtube video with it and told my wife if I walked in on that I would rush my kid to the ER.

Then last Sunday he was fine when I put him to bed and an hour later it sounded like he couldn't breathe. Wife said it sounded like croup and did the mother thing and took over.

That was a terrible sickness to get over. That and ear infections I don't know what's worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 am and I'm hangin with my girl watching Duck Dynasty. Then if still awake maybe I'm treat her to a movie. Perhaps Despicable Me 2, but that's a conversation for a different thread.

Mike,

How are your other mini-mikes adjusting to the families newest addition?

Pretty good for their ages. My oldest is 4, and she's always trying to help so far- wanting to gold her. My boy is 2. He really doesn't have grasp of exactly who she is but he knows her name and always comes to tell us when she's crying.

My 6 y/o daughter is an only child at this point. She has been asking for a baby sister.

It must be nice to see your older two interact with and try to understand the baby.

My 6 y/o daughter is an only child at this point. She has been asking for a baby sister.

It must be nice to see your older two interact with and try to understand the baby.
It is pretty cool. Two years ago, my oldest became a big sister. She wasn't ready then but is more prepared now and is a good example for my middle child. That definitely helps since he follows her around like a lost puppy and imitates her.

Back