What states get actual number grades?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GR84W8

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that Texas got number scores- do any other states get these?

i see all these views. you people could at least tell me your state and yes/no...

I don't know about grades or pass/fail, but don't you think if this is a national test there should be some uniformity

yes, unfortunately they seem to give the states too much power. and my state has apparently decided to stand in the corner and not take any of it.

Do they actually give a score, or are people just working backwards from the diagnostic report to figure out a raw score? I really don’t know, as I took the exam for the first time in April. I know someone that recently took the FE and claimed that he missed passing by three problems. He was basing this off of the percentages given for each subject area from the diagnostic report.

texas is the only(maybe one more don't remember) state that still gives an actual test score. They are not back calulating.

I belive MA stopped providing a numerical score ~'04-'05 it is just pass/fail now. Of course the provided score was based on the mysterious "cut score" (70 or above passed) so it had no obvious direct connection to the true number of correct answers an individual got on the test.

Don't you Tennessee was as quick with your results?
Good Luck GR8!
I do wish they were faster. we just had an EI in here saying the hardest part of his LEED test was waiting the one minute for the computer to process his results. I gave him the staredown

Texas is the only state that I'm aware of. NCEES used to publish the scores along with the pass/fail notification. They stopped doing this a few years back, leaving that up to the individual states to decide. I can't remember where I read it, but someone on the Texas Board stated, and I'm paraphrasing here, "You earned your score. You deserve to know what it is!"

KY has no number scores.

When I took the FE in IN in 2002, I got a pass letter with a number (it was in the 70's, not sure the exact number) written in pencil at the top of it. I always assumed that was my actual score, but never knew for sure.

i think most states decided to not report scores for more of legal reasons. This way if a designed failed, the lawyers couldn't use the line of questioning test scores and engineering competancy. Putting two engineering against each other on the stand debating the one with the higher score is the better expert etc...

Back