What states get actual number grades?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you think i need to relax. you're uptight.

you're entitled to your opinion. and I'm entitled to ignore you... comment away :D

you think i need to relax. you're uptight.
you're entitled to your opinion. and I'm entitled to ignore you... comment away :D
You're right, I can read your posts in just this thread and tell that you are cool as a cucumber. Masterful control of stress whle waiting for results.

I passed the test a couple years ago. I live in California. Take a look at how long we have to wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, now to be serious. It is understandable that people are stressed out waiting for results. And

it isn't really fair that they come in at such different times. But in most cases we are talking about a week

or two. Only in some really egregious outliers (like California) is the disparity truly outrageous.

That aside, look at it this way.

You will get your results. You will either pass or fail.

1. If you pass - most states will not tell you the score, but does it really matter? Are you going to

go through the hassle of asking for a recount because you don't like the score, even though you passed?

THe state is just making the decision whether you should be licensed or not. Above and beyond that, they are not

required to rank your performance. THat's not the purpose of the licensing procedure. It's up to them.

2. If you don't pass - everybody gets the same diagnositc report.

I got my actual score from VA for the FE and the PE. Passing is 70. Everyone knows that. They gave me my number grade for the test. Both of them were over 70 of course. My FE score was very high. I have not heard of any getting an higher score than me.

exactly my point
OK... so there are two of you that don't understand how this country works. Good thing for you they don't test "jurisdiction" on the exam. Licensing is a STATE issue, not a national issue.

I recommend you quit your belly-aching and do something more productive (unless, of course, you find it therapeutic to complain to a bunch of strangers... in which case, have at!). Until there's a national license, you'll have to keep dealing with the state boards. Or maybe you can move to a different country that doesn't give states so much control over themselves.

I hate to ask... but have you lived all your life in the U.S.?

OK... so there are two of you that don't understand how this country works. Good thing for you they don't test "jurisdiction" on the exam. Licensing is a STATE issue, not a national issue.
I recommend you quite direct your belly-aching and do something more productive (unless, of course, you find it therapeutic to complain to a bunch of strangers... in which case, have at!). Until there's a national license, you'll have to keep dealing with the state boards. Or maybe you can move to a different country that doesn't give states so much control over themselves.

I hate to ask... but have you lived all your life in the U.S.?
I knew jurisdiction was not in the exam and so did not learn it!!!! (Just kidding)

Do not take my complaints seriously..... I am just frustated over the uncertain wait.....

As Mike would say I have lost it...(Mike this is just to make things lighter not to point finger towards you)....

No I have not spent my life in US.

I got my actual score from VA for the FE and the PE. Passing is 70. Everyone knows that. They gave me my number grade for the test. Both of them were over 70 of course. My FE score was very high. I have not heard of any getting an higher score than me.
What year was that? I know i got my FE score when i first took it, but then they stopped giving them. Probably better, it was depressing to see "68".

in maine we got our FE scores, but i dont think we get our PE scores, which is a little odd

Fair enough! Yes, it is certainly frustrating, but as Benbo has pointed out, the pain will fade once you get your pass letter.
I know but for MD it looks like still there are some days before we cool off!

After the results I will be relieved...... even if I failed. Meanwhile you guys have to bear with people like me, complaining about how poorly coordinated this whole thing is!!

I know but for MD it looks like still there are some days before we cool off!
After the results I will be relieved...... even if I failed. Meanwhile you guys have to bear with people like me, complaining about how poorly coordinated this whole thing is!!
You think this is a long wait.

You realize I have to wait as long as you have already, PLUS 11 days in order to watch college football again!

You think this is a long wait.
You realize I have to wait as long as you have already, PLUS 11 days in order to watch college football again!
I had to wait for results, and now football. I think that is worse than you.

BTW - in FL - passing get pass only, fail get a score

I had to wait for results, and now football. I think that is worse than you.
BTW - in FL - passing get pass only, fail get a score
i think that's probably a good strategy. i've looked at the diagnostic breakdown before and i didn't think it was helpful at all in determining how close you were to passing.

I really do appreciate everyone's responses. even those who don't agree with me

I can't say I'm not curious about what my score was, but I don't really care that much with a passing grade. I'd really want it if I had failed though.

i've looked at the diagnostic breakdown before and i didn't think it was helpful at all in determining how close you were to passing.
I looked at a diagnostic the other day from someone in one of our satellite offices. He was asking me for an opinion on what he should work on. Did you look at the bottom of the diagnostic sheet where it says it bold letters that it's not intended to provide scoring information?

I looked at a diagnostic the other day from someone in one of our satellite offices. He was asking me for an opinion on what he should work on. Did you look at the bottom of the diagnostic sheet where it says it bold letters that it's not intended to provide scoring information?
Mike, I DIDN"T look at it very closely, as it wasn't mine and the owner wasn't letting it out of his hands. From what i remember, and bear with me if I'm incorrect, it was like 6 months ago, it just gave percentage of how much of each section you got right. Also the sections it subdivided into didn't seem to relate to the break down in the CERM, and it didn't say how many questions were in each section. So if it said "50%" there's a big difference if there were 4 questions or 10.

Is that correct? Hopefully I won't actually need to try and decipher one...

Mike, I DIDN"T look at it very closely, as it wasn't mine and the owner wasn't letting it out of his hands. From what i remember, and bear with me if I'm incorrect, it was like 6 months ago, it just gave percentage of how much of each section you got right. Also the sections it subdivided into didn't seem to relate to the break down in the CERM, and it didn't say how many questions were in each section. So if it said "50%" there's a big difference if there were 4 questions or 10.
Is that correct? Hopefully I won't actually need to try and decipher one...
It matches up to the specification on the ncees website. And you're right - you need to look at it along with that specification to see how many questions are in that area and then how well you did. It tells you how well you did in each area and we figured out pretty close how many he got right, but without knowing the passing score, it's hard to tell how close you are. However, as he had several categories at 50% or less, it was pretty clear to me that he probably has a good bit of studying to do......

Back