What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can she lead a normal life?
No. She'll be an engineer.

TheKnack.jpg

@knight1fox3, I bought my daughter a raspberry pi for Christmas.  It came preloaded with games that teaching programming. She's giddy about learning how to hack. Should I be concerned? 
Not in the slightest. A raspberry pi is a developmental device used to promote computer science. It's not very practical as a hacking tool since it doesn't really have that much horse power under the hood. :thumbs:

I have the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 and it's decent. I was looking at the HP EcoTank due to the cost of replacement cartridges. @Audi driver, P.E. did you go with the EcoTank?
No, I went with the Epson WorkForce WF-7610.  I also looked at the WF-7620 but it was $150 more and the only difference was that it can hold an entire ream of paper at a time.

So I know how to restrict write access to an Excel file but what I want to do is let only a handful write and let others view only.  The catch is that those with write authority should be able to write/save while the others are viewing simultaneously.  Any ideas?

So I know how to restrict write access to an Excel file but what I want to do is let only a handful write and let others view only.  The catch is that those with write authority should be able to write/save while the others are viewing simultaneously.  Any ideas?
Use Google sheets?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Can't - must be Excel in the directory it's currently located.  (We're archaic here)

It can be done, I don't know how

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20">

but some of our financial spreadsheets are set up where I can edit certain cells but not others, I have to get the finance people to change cells that I can't

Thanks folks.  I had our IT admin provide read only access to the folder and full access only to four people in the group that manage the effort daily.  Seems to have addressed the problem so far.

Okay, recommendations please. Or thoughts on the Pixelbook.

Basically, I'm going to be looking for a new laptop sometime this year. My old macbook pro has finally started to act extremely slow. It's about seven or eight years old, so I'm okay with replacing it at this point. I do not, however, feel the need to go with another macbook. I mainly use my laptop for streaming video on the laptop or chromecasting to our TV and keeping lots of files (which I'm sure is relevant).

I'm not a gamer and want a headphone jack (though I suppose I won't really need that, as soon as I set up my Pixel buds) and at least two USB ports (gotta charge two bike lights at once some times!). I'm looking to spend around $1200 max (ideally closer to $1000), and I guess I'm just looking for basic functionality with good speed.

Thanks in advance!

Back