What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/stream-notebook-348017--1#!&tab=vao

Don't be fooled by the low ratings and price tag - I've had mine (in pink :wub: ) for 4 years and it still runs like the day I bought it. It takes a couple seconds to boot up, has great battery life, is incredibly lightweight, and just a joy to use for basic streaming, spreadsheets and word processing. The hard drive space is limited but I save all my files on a micro SD that I leave in the slot. Not sure how Chromecasting would work on it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't have a Surface.

It may be a good option though. Apple/Google make nice products but they are expensive for what they are. 

YMZ's HP may be a good idea too. 

Okay, recommendations please. Or thoughts on the Pixelbook.

Basically, I'm going to be looking for a new laptop sometime this year. My old macbook pro has finally started to act extremely slow. It's about seven or eight years old, so I'm okay with replacing it at this point. I do not, however, feel the need to go with another macbook. I mainly use my laptop for streaming video on the laptop or chromecasting to our TV and keeping lots of files (which I'm sure is relevant).

I'm not a gamer and want a headphone jack (though I suppose I won't really need that, as soon as I set up my Pixel buds) and at least two USB ports (gotta charge two bike lights at once some times!). I'm looking to spend around $1200 max (ideally closer to $1000), and I guess I'm just looking for basic functionality with good speed.

Thanks in advance!
The Pixelbook is a fine machine. They are sleek & efficient and akin to the Samsung Spin 2-in-1 notebooks (plus they are relatively cost efficient). I really like the 2-in-1 design which provides the versatility of a tablet but also offers similar horsepower to that of a full-blown notebook (tough to beat that price-point too). The MS Surface variety are also similar to this but tend to command a higher price tag.

Don't be fooled by the low ratings and price tag - I've had mine (in pink :wub: ) for 4 years and it still runs like the day I bought it. It takes a couple seconds to boot up, has great battery life, is incredibly lightweight, and just a joy to use for basic streaming, spreadsheets and word processing. The hard drive space is limited but I save all my files on a micro SD that I leave in the slot. Not sure how Chromecasting would work on it, though.
A Celeron CPU and only 4GB of RAM?! You're better than that YMZ... ;)

J/K. I know LinkedIn doesn't require mass amounts of processing power. :D

Woah, I could buy five of those!!

I got a new ipad pro 256GB 12.9 for christmas.  I have an older ipad2 that I just use for surfing the net and basic email functions.  I wasn't expecting the ipad pro (I was shocked to see it's $1000 machine) and just started using it. 

I really wish it were a laptop as I've never been a mac person.

Any good fast tutorials on how to use this thing efficiently?  I hate the idea of tying things to the cloud as I want to keep my work and personal stuff separate and I hate having all that information "out in space".

I got a new ipad pro 256GB 12.9 for christmas.  I have an older ipad2 that I just use for surfing the net and basic email functions.  I wasn't expecting the ipad pro (I was shocked to see it's $1000 machine) and just started using it. 

I really wish it were a laptop as I've never been a mac person.

Any good fast tutorials on how to use this thing efficiently?  I hate the idea of tying things to the cloud as I want to keep my work and personal stuff separate and I hate having all that information "out in space".
First off, condolences on your gift. :thumbs:  My initial recommendation for you:

samsung-phone-catches-fire-under-pillow.gif

But on a more serious note, here's a good resource that should get you started on a few basics: https://www.imore.com/ipad-pro

On a separate note, 

I counted (9) desktop PC enclosures (not counting any of my own) in my PC parts inventory. I might have a problem... :lmao:

i have an ipad pro for work. same as you 12.9. i am obsessed with it. will you be using it for work? 

my most used app is goodnotes - it's great for my hand calcs and for marking up pdfs. it's like 5 dollars i think? I also have bluebeam which was like 10 dollars, but opens up the availability of studio sessions, which lets you have almost full functionality on PC without paying upwards of 300/year for a full license. 

and apple pencil is as bae as any apple product could be. still salty i didn't get a surface instead. 

I miss Bluebeam so, so much. My current employer only has Acrobat whatever-y what that is cumbersome and not terribly user friendly to use instead.

Granted, I know we don't have the fanciest Acrobat program, but still.

I miss Bluebeam so, so much. My current employer only has Acrobat whatever-y what that is cumbersome and not terribly user friendly to use instead.

Granted, I know we don't have the fanciest Acrobat program, but still.
do you have an apple device? ( i feel like you might) 

I have the bluebeam revu app on my idevice. (might have bluebeam for android too)

I just create a studio session on my ipad, and then use bluebeam revu (expired trial version) to add drawings to the studio session and modify them as needed, and then print to pdf when I need to send the information somewhere! I hope this is useful info to you!! 

Also, my paid app on my ipad air 2 for work transferred as still a paid app on my ipad pro 12.9. win. 

do you have an apple device? ( i feel like you might) 

I have the bluebeam revu app on my idevice. (might have bluebeam for android too)

I just create a studio session on my ipad, and then use bluebeam revu (expired trial version) to add drawings to the studio session and modify them as needed, and then print to pdf when I need to send the information somewhere! I hope this is useful info to you!! 

Also, my paid app on my ipad air 2 for work transferred as still a paid app on my ipad pro 12.9. win. 
I have an older macbook pro laptop I'll be replacing in the coming months with something non-apple. It's a personal laptop anyway, and not used for business. For work, I have just my in-office setup, which is two screens and a PC tower.

Just don't try to actually print something on a physical printer. #AppleDontPlayThat #Fail

doesn't look like they have bluebeam for android yet either :( rude.

i have an ipad pro for work. same as you 12.9. i am obsessed with it. will you be using it for work? 

my most used app is goodnotes - it's great for my hand calcs and for marking up pdfs. it's like 5 dollars i think? I also have bluebeam which was like 10 dollars, but opens up the availability of studio sessions, which lets you have almost full functionality on PC without paying upwards of 300/year for a full license. 

and apple pencil is as bae as any apple product could be. still salty i didn't get a surface instead. 
thanks that's good news.  not sure if I'm going to use it for work or not.

I wasn't sure what "bae" meant so I checked online.

Here's the definition on Urban dictionary:

BAE

The most fucking annoying way to say girlfriend, boyfriend, crush, or any other sort of significant other. Commonly used by ghetto folks, swagfags, and annoying fucktards
Yo Yo she's my bae
Jesus Christ, this person is fucking retartded.
#babe #baby #swag #ghetto #hot
:D

BEFORE ALL ELSE or something like that. I never use it as any sort of significant other. Unless I'm in a subconscious relationship with goat cheese. :dunno:  

I always thought bae stood for "Before Anyone Else" and that it was popularized by the Bey herself (or maybe her Beyhive).

Latest posts

Back