What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Audi driver said:
Can [mention=14295]knight1fox3[/mention] help me find a good printer that prints and scan 11x17?  My printer went TU yesterday [emoji20]
Only if you clarify exactly what you mean by TU
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

amazed-face-meme-smiley-emoticon.png

so trying to install a new hard drive in my kids laptop. going through all the Dell instructions but I keep getting the blue screen of death?

Do you have to rename all the old drive to something else to get it to recognize the new one?

Can @knight1fox3 help me find a good printer that prints and scan 11x17?  My printer went TU yesterday :(
I'm partial to either Canon or HP when it comes to reliability and performance. I'm sure either/both of these mfr's have models that can handle 11x17 scanning. Just don't have any specific ones off the top of my head.

so trying to install a new hard drive in my kids laptop. going through all the Dell instructions but I keep getting the blue screen of death?

Do you have to rename all the old drive to something else to get it to recognize the new one?
A couple of follow-up questions. Prior to installing the new drive, was the old drive first imaged (what software?) and said image transferred to the new drive? If yes, then I would start by booting the system with only the new drive installed (assuming you are looking to use both drives at once). If you continue to get the BSOD error even with just the new drive installed, I try entering the system BIOS/UEFI interface to see if the main board is detecting the new drive (make, model, size).

I cant recall the error messages we get, but the old hard drive was dead so no way (or easy way) to retrieve it.

Ill try and take some pics of the errors we keep getting.. PIA..

I cant recall the error messages we get, but the old hard drive was dead so no way (or easy way) to retrieve it.

Ill try and take some pics of the errors we keep getting.. PIA..
I guess my underlying point is, does the new drive have a bootable operating system loaded on it? And if so, is it a new install or the one from the previous drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
we had to download it from windows. I think we were going with windows 8?  Its a Dell Inspirion laptop that's probably 3 years old? But we had to put windows 8 on a thumb drive and direct the "blue screen" to read it from there.

I did this on our main PC and it was more straightforward since the old hard drive still worked.

we had to download it from windows. I think we were going with windows 8?  Its a Dell Inspirion laptop that's probably 3 years old? But we had to put windows 8 on a thumb drive and direct the "blue screen" to read it from there.

I did this on our main PC and it was more straightforward since the old hard drive still worked.
Yikes! Any reason to not go with Win 10? Win 8 was just so buggy and their install process is/was convoluted as well. If you/kid is really set on using Win 8, I'd suggest going with 8.1 because they "fixed" a fair number of issues that were prevalent in 8.0. But even 8.1 still has it's own underlying issues. Win 10 is the next solid MS operating system (like Win 7 after Vista). You should be eligible to get Win 10 with a valid Win 8 license key. And with the new drive installed, the Win 10 installation will pretty much do everything for you. I've been pleasantly surprised at how they've stream-lined the installation process.

Generally a BSOD immediately upon system boot up is not a good thing. And typically points to a hardware failure/incompatibility. A screen capture might help to determine the root cause.

I figured older would be better with an older laptop?  But we can try that - but I don't even think its getting to the point to read the software - I f'd with this last night but will record the error messages - cant do screen shots through DOS but will take photos

I'm partial to either Canon or HP when it comes to reliability and performance. I'm sure either/both of these mfr's have models that can handle 11x17 scanning. Just don't have any specific ones off the top of my head.
Do you like them $100 better, cause I'm thinking the Epson is a pretty sweet deal right now.

I figured older would be better with an older laptop?  But we can try that - but I don't even think its getting to the point to read the software - I f'd with this last night but will record the error messages - cant do screen shots through DOS but will take photos
Nah, if Win 8 works, Win 10 will also work as they are both based on the same operating system architecture. That might even alleviate the issue you are running into altogether. Also, if you have model numbers for both the old drive and new drive, we could quickly check compatibility.

Do you like them $100 better, cause I'm thinking the Epson is a pretty sweet deal right now.
You get what you pay for. When it comes to printing, I'm willing to shell out a little more for better print quality and system reliability. That's not to say Epson isn't good, I just have no experience with that brand.

You get what you pay for. When it comes to printing, I'm willing to shell out a little more for better print quality and system reliability. That's not to say Epson isn't good, I just have no experience with that brand.
Normal price was the same, but the Epson is 100 off. Going with the Epson.

Back