What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is their equipment
99% sure then that the issue is hardware-related. They generally buy those in bulk and "recycle" them to other subsequent customers. They usually aren't even worth a dime a dozen. I would look into buying your own router, something much more robust and reliable. I believe I posted some router recommendations earlier in this thread.

Converted my GS4 to be able to use wireless charging. Works pretty slick. Minimal cost too.

Wireless charging is based on new Qi (inductive power standard) system technology. It's quite profound IMO.

Devices that operate with the Qi standard rely on electromagnetic induction between planar coils. A Qi system consists of two types of devices – the Base Station, which is connected to a power source and provides inductive power, and Mobile Devices, which consume inductive power. The Base Station contains a power transmitter that comprises a transmitting coil that generates an oscillating magnetic field; the Mobile Device contains a power receiver holding a receiving coil. The magnetic field induces an alternating current in the receiving coil by Faraday's law of induction. Close spacing of the two coils, as well as shielding on their surfaces, ensure the inductive power transfer is efficient. :thumbs:

howitworks-sm-20110624.jpg

Ref: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/24/engadget-primed-how-wireless-and-inductive-charging-works/

Last edited by a moderator:
^In other words, the charger and the phone make up a pair of coils that comprise a transformer, with air being the core material. I wonder how efficient this is, though, given the magnetic permeability of air is very low.

but you still have to have the base plugged in and set your phone on top of it so the only piece missing is the wire between the two devices. Althought the idea of "wireless charging" sounds great it's not much of a convenience. If they can set up large pads say at an airport to charge multiple devices simultaneously, then that would be a good service.

Here we see the latest Qi system technology in operation:

7312477986_58b84f35b5_b.jpg

colecovision-sgm-opcode.jpg

God help the person who tried to put these away when the cord was uncoiled, for it would not fit and the wrath of my mother was swift and fierce.

I thought blue smoke was bad?
blue smoke from PC boards is bad. Blue smoke from a genie's lamp followed by the appearance of a hot-looking genie willing to do her master's bidding is good.

but you still have to have the base plugged in and set your phone on top of it so the only piece missing is the wire between the two devices. Althought the idea of "wireless charging" sounds great it's not much of a convenience. If they can set up large pads say at an airport to charge multiple devices simultaneously, then that would be a good service.
The same could be said for wall outlets and a breaker panel. The idea would be to have the charging base built in and wired such that it wouldn't be removed like you would your charging cable. Either way, it's quite an innovative approach of things to come.

Fox, do you know if converting an RS-485 signal to RS-232 is as easy as plugging in a converter?  One of the jobs I'm working on is requesting RS-232, but the Honeywell controller we are using for it only outputs RS-485.  

Back