What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weve been using Claimwin (or something) and then use dos to delete whatever it finds...

Hit my first incredibly annoying Windows 10 snag. Whenever you would get into a high data usage situation, e.g. opening up multiple browsers and reloading pages quickly, upping the resolution level on a youtube video, etc., it would shut down the network adapter and you'd lose connectivity until you restarted.

I assume this was a common issue, because the one post I found describing the issue to a T had something like 8000 views. I did go to the Dell website and install the Windows 7 driver package for it though, and it seems to be working OK since.

I will say that the only thing I like better in Windows 10 so far is the new task manager, which includes options for disabling startup programs, etc. All stuff you could do before, just easier. I have not noticed it to be any faster than Windows 7 other than what seems to be a slightly quicker startup.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ I have not encountered this issue and I'm generally running a ton of programs (including numerous browser sessions). If you bring up the hardware properties on the network adapter, can you find a check-box that says, "allow Windows to disable this device"? I would un-check that. Also, how much memory are you currently running?

Start-up time for Win10 is equivalent to Win8/8.1 IMO. But still fairly quicker than Win7 (and also using a SSD).

^ I have not encountered this issue and I'm generally running a ton of programs (including numerous browser sessions). If you bring up the hardware properties on the network adapter, can you find a check-box that says, "allow Windows to disable this device"? I would un-check that. Also, how much memory are you currently running?

Start-up time for Win10 is equivalent to Win8/8.1 IMO. But still fairly quicker than Win7 (and also using a SSD).

I will take a look. I suspect that it is an issue tied directly to the use of Broadcom network adapters, as further reading revealed that this was a significant problem among Dell XPS system users in particular.

Thanks! I'm not at home at the moment but will get these answered and will try the malwarebyte.. We did disconnect from Internet.... It's a 2 year old dell PC, not even sure which windows....?
As I mentioned above, most likely Win7. In which case the "F8" trick will work to get to safe mode. Do safe mode "without network". And here are the soSucks!are packages and definitions you should use:
SAS: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

Definitions (for manual install): http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE

Choose the "quick scan" method. Remove anything it finds.

MBAM: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Definitions (for manual install): http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

I would also highly recommend you run this rootkit discovery utility:

TDSSKiller Anti-Rootkit: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/dl/4/

And if we have to take the proverbial "gloves off", let me know. But that will take us down a much more advanced path. ;)
Worked great, thanks!

Only issue left is that Chrome (only at home) still has Yahoo as the default search engine and "new tab" page despite me changing it multiple times. I may just un-install and reinstall it.

Worked great, thanks!

Only issue left is that Chrome (only at home) still has Yahoo as the default search engine and "new tab" page despite me changing it multiple times. I may just un-install and reinstall it.
Good to hear it! :thumbs: And no hard drives were damaged in the process? ;)

Do you need to have the Yahoo search engine? I'd recommend uninstalling it. And to prevent any future malware infections, you might consider using a more robust firewall program. I'm a fan of the free Comodo Firewall. It's a little annoying at first because it will ask you what you'd like to allow access to the internet. But for programs that access the net regularly, you can click the the check-box "remember this setting". After about a week of use, it should be tailored to your specific computing habits. And be sure to select "customize installer" where you can un-check a few other programs that it will try to install (only firewall is needed). Let me know if you have any further questions on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... Our entire office just came to screeching halt due to the encrypto virus. This should be interesting...

So to follow-up. We are currently scanning the server and individual workstations. Workstations are unplugged from the network. Once the server scan is complete we will be doing a restore of the system. So it's looking no network until around 1500 est and we lost all work from yesterday.

So to follow-up. We are currently scanning the server and individual workstations. Workstations are unplugged from the network. Once the server scan is complete we will be doing a restore of the system. So it's looking no network until around 1500 est and we lost all work from yesterday.
That is never a good thing.

Wow. Ya the single most important thing that can be done is to disconnect and shutdown the infected machines so the encryption routine cannot continue to run in the background. That stupid thing is a royal PITA! And I can't believe it's still actively infecting machines.

Also be sure to monitor any virtual drives (i.e. Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.) that people may have mapped as local drives as the CryptoLocker can be passed to those resources as well.

So we are finally into the restoration process. Should be good to go by tomorrow morning.

So you didn't have to go this route then?

WIRcKWY.gif

Back