What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fox, do you know if I can use a Motorola modem on the Comcast triple play for internet and cable only? I got a better deal getting the triple play, but I don't need the phone. I was thinking maybe I could save the $10 a month and getting my own, but I don't know if it would work since I also have the phone service.

Fox, do you know if I can use a Motorola modem on the Comcast triple play for internet and cable only? I got a better deal getting the triple play, but I don't need the phone. I was thinking maybe I could save the $10 a month and getting my own, but I don't know if it would work since I also have the phone service.
You should be able to but will likely have to call their "tech" support and provide the corresponding MAC ID. I did that with TWC as soon as they started charging $3/month for their awful generic modems that were a dime a dozen. I went with a really nice Motorola (DOCSIS 3.0) unit. Now I have no physical equipment from TWC. Just their internet service.

ok fox, how do i change the resolution on my main monitor (dual set up) when the only choice I have is 800x600 int he drop down box. returned to work this morning and the monitor display was F up.

right now I switched the control to Mon. # 2 and turned off the main one until the help desk sees fit to send someone out to fix it.

Fox,

What are your thoughts on those stand alone "raspberry Pi" computer boards?

I'm thinking about getting one to do some ham radio internet stuff without having to turn on my computer.

ok fox, how do i change the resolution on my main monitor (dual set up) when the only choice I have is 800x600 int he drop down box. returned to work this morning and the monitor display was F up.

right now I switched the control to Mon. # 2 and turned off the main one until the help desk sees fit to send someone out to fix it.
Sounds like a video driver issue. Is this a laptop or desktop PC? Typically when you only have a single low-resolution display choice, something has gone wrong with the corresponding display driver. Depending on the manufacturer, often times 3rd party software (i.e. AMD or NVidia) will be installed that can instead control the dual-display resolution as opposed to allowing Windows to do it. IIRC though, you probably don't have the appropriate administrative permissions to mess with your display driver. You can check the make and model of it by right-clicking on your "My Computer" icon and selecting properties. Then choose "Device Manager" and navigate to your "Display Adapters". Hopefully your help desk will know how to do all this.

Fox,

What are your thoughts on those stand alone "raspberry Pi" computer boards?

I'm thinking about getting one to do some ham radio internet stuff without having to turn on my computer.
Excellent for small projects like you just described. And processing power is always evolving so they are getting better all the time. To the point where they can even be utilized in light multi-media center control applications. I have yet to embark on any DIY projects of this nature. Perhaps after graduate school. ;)

the guy who remoted in couldn't figure it out, but i wasn't paying attention after he put me on hold. If the person with the help ticket doesn't show up by Thursday I might try messing with the drivers, I saw those buttons. But I didn't want to get yelled at for doing things that aren't in my job description.

the guy who remoted in couldn't figure it out, but i wasn't paying attention after he put me on hold. If the person with the help ticket doesn't show up by Thursday I might try messing with the drivers, I saw those buttons. But I didn't want to get yelled at for doing things that aren't in my job description.
Do they allow you to do Windows Updates? Or is that micro-managed by your IT?

micro managed by it but they roll them out on a fairly regular basis. at first i thought that was what had happened because my computer was on when i got to work this morning...thats usually what happens when an update is forced over the weekend.

well i'll be damned....I started messing with the drivers and the IT guy called right in the middle of it...oops. I hadn't had a chance to check the the resolution options after the latest iteration, but it worked when he took control of my computer.

So let's say Junior got hooked on watching "Fullmetal Alchemist". In doing so, she got through season 4, only to find that season 5 isn't on Netflix due to some licensing dispute with Funimation. Where (purely hypothetically) would one be able to watch Season 5 online?

So let's say Junior got hooked on watching "Fullmetal Alchemist". In doing so, she got through season 4, only to find that season 5 isn't on Netflix due to some licensing dispute with Funimation. Where (purely hypothetically) would one be able to watch Season 5 online?
PM'd.

So help me around this- I have my main company email, but I also am “on loan” to two other clients (governments) who don’t allow non-government cell phones to access their emails from. I have tried to go around this system and have tried both my kids Samsung POC as well as my apple POC- neither seem to work.

I also cant seem to get everyone at both locations to use my normal email address, and I don’t want to be seen as “not responsive”

I have a remote log in I can struggle through, but I am on the road so much it is a PITA to use to make sure I don’t miss an email.

I can’t even find an email feature for forwarding emails (maybe the governments don’t like that?)

Anyone have any bright ideas so I can keep track of all three email accounts on one device?

Are some (or all) of these govt. email exchange clients? If so, forwarding should be possible through the online exchange client. Unless the client admin has disabled this feature. But this would be a good place to start.

I must have downloaded a virus on my home PC because it keeps resetting my Chrome home page to www.trovi.com. At home it's not a big deal, but because I use the same login for chrome on other machines, the home page is reset on all of them. Whats the best way to sniff that problem out and eliminate it?

Thanks! I'm not at home at the moment but will get these answered and will try the malwarebyte.. We did disconnect from Internet.... It's a 2 year old dell PC, not even sure which windows....?
As I mentioned above, most likely Win7. In which case the "F8" trick will work to get to safe mode. Do safe mode "without network". And here are the software packages and definitions you should use:
SAS: http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

Definitions (for manual install): http://cdn.superantispyware.com/SASDEFINITIONS.EXE

Choose the "quick scan" method. Remove anything it finds.

MBAM: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Definitions (for manual install): http://data-cdn.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

I would also highly recommend you run this rootkit discovery utility:

TDSSKiller Anti-Rootkit: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/dl/4/

And if we have to take the proverbial "gloves off", let me know. But that will take us down a much more advanced path. ;)

Latest posts

Back