What does the Fox say?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they just wrap ears of corn with spools of wire.

I know there aren't many fans of Microsoft here, but if you are interested in obtaining a FREE* copy of Windows 10, take a look at the link below. I've been running it on my media PC for probably over a year now and it's pretty good. Definitely worked a lot of the quirks out that came up in Win 8/8.1 (i.e. the start menu is back). And free is not a bad deal. Only stipulation for the free upgrade is that users have Win 7 or 8/8.1.

http://www.maximumpc.com/windows-10-arriving-on-july-29th/

Microsoft today announced that Windows 10 will be arriving officially on July 29th. The software giant previously gave hints that Windows 10 would launch in the summer time frame and AMD CEO Lisa Su indicated likewise, but now users have a date to look forward to.

Users of Windows 7 and 8.1 are also receiving taskbar notifications of a free upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 as an even bigger release than Windows 8 was, and you'll be able to upgrade to the same SKU (example: Home edition to Home edition) for free. Of course, if you're willing to pony up for more features, other SKUs will be available too.

There were previous indications from Microsoft that users with pirated copies of Windows 7 and 8.1 would have "attractive" options for getting Windows 10, but no confirmed word yet on what those options are. Although we're pretty certain that if you're pirating Windows already, Windows 10 will be "free" for you anyway.

Some notable features of Windows 10:

- Edge, Microsoft's new browser

- Cortana, digital assistant

- Xbox Live and integrated Xbox app, stream games from Xbox One

- Windows Continuum, flip between desktop/laptop/tablet modes

- DirectX 12

- Start menu

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe the Windows machines should stop being such drama queens.

I'm running Windows 8.1 on my computer at home. I'm mainly ok if I stick to the desktop.

I signed up for the Windows 10 upgrade. I'll download it when I can but I will wait to actually install it until I stop hearing the upgrade horror stories.

Believe it or not, I am optimistic about this.

Supe,

How's the phone's reception? My wife has the S4 and it absolutely sucks when comparing it to my Motorola Razr. Otherwise she really likes her phone but will need an upgrade soon.
LOL, you live in MN. Nothing works there. :p

It's not the phone, but rather the provider and the quality of towers. The internal antenna of the S4 can be considered top of the line with its high gain. And is especially efficient on a TRUE LTE network. Note I said true because there are certain providers who claim LTE, but it's just a marketing ploy. I've been all over the US and a few places international and have never had reception issues on the GS4. Just sayin'. ;)
Ha Ha ha!

I was also mistaken. she has an S3. but that still doesn't explain the difference in service since we have the same provider. I can call her from my phone in the living room ("Honey, I need a beer..." :) ) and the call will be dropped.

Truly frustrating. :p

LOL, you live in MN. Nothing works there. :p

Not even the Vikings!

I'll be headed to the hinterlands of Nebraska next week. Is it worth it to buy a contract free phone from the local wireless company to be able to call home and (more importantly) blast my facebook friends with pictures of my vacation?
AP showed up for practice this week and he didn't even have a switch with him... :p

The new Droid turbo...

Thoughts?

Comments?
Looks like a bad@ss phone. But don't have any operational experience with it.
that was my feel too, both pro and con. I'm strongly leaning towards the S6 though. gonna make a decision and pull the trigger by Saturday
UPDATE:

I pulled the trigger and made the switch from AT&T to Verizon, and upgraded to the Galaxy S6.
Did you go with the edge plan?

I would be more surprised not to, as opposed to seeing a difference.

Next step, start cutting the cords to the "other" services

Back