What do you pay for cable/phone/internet

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can always ignore the cell phone. I know most people have the expectation that an immediate response is needed, but I have no problem ignore emails, phone calls. My wife gets mad at me because I'll ignore the home phone if I am busy with something else. If it is important, they can leave a message.
I can't figure out what's up with that. The reason I have voice mail/an answering machine is so that people can leave me a message! I've even had some folks try to answer my cell phone for me ! They only make that mistake once. ;)
My parents are the worst. When I am at their house and my BB beeps with a message, my mom will coming running to find me and let me know that someone emailed me. This is usually when I head up to see them for a Sunday dinner so I care even less about responding then during the week.

I don't have a cell phone.
You realize it is 2010?

Kidding-that is pretty impressive. I was a hold out for a while, but it really does make my life a whole lot easier.
badal doesn't have internet at home!

I just can't make the jump to cell phone. I really enjoy the times when I'm unavailable and don't want to pay $50/month to end that.
Do what I do; I got a Tracfone. 20 bucks every three months just in case I need it in an emergency.

Indeed we do. There is a shared fund for the mortgage and some savings, but most stuff is separate accounts. In fact, I pay the phone/internet and he pays cable. We have other expenses split too. It works out really well for us.
That's cool. I have some friends that do that as well. It would never work for us. My wife doesn't even know the passwords for our banking sites. If I didn't tell her how things were going, she would never know about our finances. The good thing is that she is very frugal, so I don't have to worry about her spending a ton of money.

Internet from Cox Cable $33, DishNetwork $65 and home phone from Vonage $15.

You can always ignore the cell phone. I know most people have the expectation that an immediate response is needed, but I have no problem ignore emails, phone calls. My wife gets mad at me because I'll ignore the home phone if I am busy with something else. If it is important, they can leave a message.
Our daughter is back living with us for awhile and she gets that automatic flinch to grad the phone if it rings during dinner or some other time that I don't care. She may lose the response before she moves out. I figure that is is there for MY convenience, not the caller's, and I'll get to it when I'm ready.

I had Verizon pay-as-you-go back before it became the plan it is now. That old phone hangs out in the car with a charger, so I can call 911 if I need to do so.

If anyone were to handle the finances, it would be me. My husband is pretty clueless about those kinds of things. He's been hovering over me while I try to do taxes, because he thinks it's some voodoo magic I'm performing. I'm filling in the blanks!

I have a bundle package from mediacom cable:

Family Cable, IP Phone, Cable Modem = $145

The local phone company is trying to break into the TV market, by offering IP TV. The same bundle (DSL instead of Cable Modem) would be essentially $80 / month for a year, then up to $120/mo. They just have to upgrade to a fiberoptics trunk near my neighborhood. Probably in the next year or two, then I'm switching.

I don't have a cell phone.
You realize it is 2010?

Kidding-that is pretty impressive. I was a hold out for a while, but it really does make my life a whole lot easier.
[SIZE=12pt]badal doesn't have internet at home![/SIZE]

I just can't make the jump to cell phone. I really enjoy the times when I'm unavailable and don't want to pay $50/month to end that. My husband, on the other hand, is a Blackberry addict. He pays that bill himself.
a fact my wife consistently "reminds" me about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay about $110/mo for Dishnetwork, but that's with 2 HDTV/DVR receivers, the sports package and HBO. Gotta have my Entourage.

Internet is DSL through AT&T, $30/mo

No Home phone, I only pay for my wife's Iphone which is about $60/mo. I use my work cell phone for my calls, but I don't really call anyone so it usually just sits on the charger unused.

We pay $150 for cable internet, phone with 200 minutes of long distance, and expanded cable (no premium channels) to the local monopoly telecom provider.

We have joint finances, I'm a nut with Quicken and I track where all of our money is spent. My wife stays at home with the kids so she doesn't have an income. We have a family cell phone plan that runs about $100 a month for both phones, no blackberry/iphone crap, just basic cell phones.

On another note, my wife has really gotten in to the couponing thing. I can't believe how much money she has been saving. Our grocery budget (which includes stuff like diapers, detergent, etc.) has gone from $800 a month down to $400 a month.

On another note, my wife has really gotten in to the couponing thing. I can't believe how much money she has been saving. Our grocery budget (which includes stuff like diapers, detergent, etc.) has gone from $800 a month down to $400 a month.
Couponing can be crazy. My wife does it in spurts, but when she is in to it, she goes all out. I have been with her when she has saved 75% off the bill.

For the most part, my wife and I do joint finances. One thing we do that has solved a lot of arguments is we each take a set amount of money out in cash at the beginning of the month. It is ours to spend as we wish, no questions asked. I want to go get blitzed, my decision. She wants to go spend ridiculous amounts (at least in my opinion) on clothing, her decision.

Couponing can be crazy. My wife does it in spurts, but when she is in to it, she goes all out. I have been with her when she has saved 75% off the bill.

For the most part, my wife and I do joint finances. One thing we do that has solved a lot of arguments is we each take a set amount of money out in cash at the beginning of the month. It is ours to spend as we wish, no questions asked. I want to go get blitzed, my decision. She wants to go spend ridiculous amounts (at least in my opinion) on clothing, her decision.

We did the individual allowance thing when we were both working and we were sans kiddos. That individual allowance got cut when Mrs. Chucktown decided to stay at home. We're probably 5 years away from being able to do that again.

My husband is kind of spoiled in the money department. He is responsible for one bill (mortgage note) and is free to spend the rest of his paycheck as he wishes. I pay all the other bills. He usually does pay for all automobile-related repair expenses though.

$98 for the fastest internet available and the HD cable package with the Showtime add on (just for Dexter and The Tudors). We don't have a need for a land line.

Back