What address to use for PE license?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngineerWarrior

Reaction score
Hi all!

i live in California and I have a PE license. In this state, your address is public record. This makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

can I hide my address from the public?

if not, can I use my work address instead of my actual residence?

I live in CA and have run into the same problem! While I don't think you can hide your address from the public, you can definitely use your work address. That is, I have coworkers who use our office address, so I don't think there is anything wrong with doing that so long as it is kept current.

^ this is essentially correct based on my conversations with my licensing board. I don't work and stamp things from my home (suburb of the nearest major city). My place of employment (in addition to other places I've worked in the city) is in the nearest major city and as such, this is referenced on my actual stamp/license. But my home address is on file with my licensing board. So there shouldn't be any confusion. 

^ this is essentially correct based on my conversations with my licensing board. I don't work and stamp things from my home (suburb of the nearest major city). My place of employment (in addition to other places I've worked in the city) is in the nearest major city and as such, this is referenced on my actual stamp/license. But my home address is on file with my licensing board. So there shouldn't be any confusion. 
What do you mean your home address is on file? How do I confirm the same thing!

What do you mean your home address is on file? How do I confirm the same thing!
Well I'm sure this varies by state. But my stamp/license reflects the major city and my mailing/contact address is my home address. At the time, it was just a matter of emailing the office admin to clarify.

CA PE Board only allow 1 address at a time and that's not good.  There should be one for business and one for mailing, imho.  Several of my co-workers use the work address while others use their home addresses and these are all public for all to see.  It's funny how they try to enforce privacy for everyone while doing something like this; list one's address online for all to see.  

In CA, I have seen others use a PO Box address and their place of business address.  You should be fine with either.  I don't love it either but I do use my home address with the board.  

Back