Washing machine broke, technically minded help please!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did hear about the vinegar trick. I haven't tried it myself though. I think I'll try it next time I need to "clean" the washing machine.

Still, you do need to do some specific things for those front loaders if you want for it to work out for you in the long run.

Seems like a lot of extra work for a very expensive piece of equipment. I will keep my top loader.

The front loader works out well for us because we have the washer and dryer stacked. Our little house needed the pantry space and the front loader allowed us to be more efficient with our square footage. We previously had a top loader that didn't get the clothes as clean as the front loader now does. The clothes come out drier from the front loader as well. I think they are easier to work on as well. We had the belt that turns the drum go out on ours once and it was a half hour fix.

huh, it wasn't my intention to start sounding like a washing machine salesman... :huh:

Our machine was the machine I remember doing laundry in as a kid that my parents then gave to us. I hope it keeps up the good work for awhile. (pleasepleasepleasedon'tbejinxed)

we wasted a repair visit on our front loader before we threw it out (I'm a civil)

The repair guy said the old top loaders were built like tanks and would last forever with a little TLC.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a front loader. Just leave the door open and run the cleaning cycle with bleach and you shouldn't have any troubles.

Also, don't buy one of those LG or Samsung washers. They leak from what my coworkers tell me.
honestly, on laundry day, I just wash the whites last and the bleach from that washer load must be good enough, I think I've cleaned the machine maybe three times in 7 years, and my husband often forgets to leave the door open but as long as I catch it with in a day it seems to be fine
We wash our clothes with a little bit of vinegar. It seems to help keep things fresh for some reason. I'm not sure what the chemistry is when mixed with detergent but the clothes and towels have a fresher smell for a longer period of time also. Probably the real reason why we hardly ever have to clean the front load washer is because it hardly goes a day without running. Before using vinegar, all of our clothes and towels had a musky smell (especially the towels after getting wet) no matter what we did. this was probably due the our well water chemistry but it's fixed now with the vinegar.
The vinegar thing works great. We do the same with our towels. So don't throw away that old wine.

LG front loader here. No smell, no issues 4 years later. Cleans better than toploader and uses less water. It's not hard to remember to leave the door open after a wash...

Same here. I have LG washer and dryer, both front loaded. The washer is one of the HG detergent machines. It's been installed about four years now and haven't had any odor or mechanical issues (knock on wood). I've followed, for the most part, the recommended maintenance which is simply draining and wiping routinely.

Well, I kept my old one...for now. I ended up fixing it after all.

Just bugged me too much not to tinker with it, especially with all I'd already done.

Back