Washing machine broke, technically minded help please!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNAPE/SMOTT PE

Wait, what?
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm frugal and will fix my crap when it breaks vs buying new. My washing machine is top load, and stopped agitating and spinning.

I ordered the coupling and changed it (damned heavy motor!), and it worked again for two loads and has broke again. In the original coupling, the white pieces with prongs that go in the rubber peace between the shafts were not broken off, only one of the white pieces was broken in the "ring".

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I've asked my fellow ME's at work, and they don't know. I'd like to try to fix it. This was my third time working on this washing machine, first time changing the coupling.

Can you post some pictures?

There's more mechanically-inclined people here than me, but my first thoughts with it breaking so quickly after being replaced are either something wasn't put back together right, the replacement part was junk, or something is binding putting extra stress on the coupling.

I haven't taken it back apart, it's a pita to do. So no pictures of my actual machine. (Small laundry room)

The washing machine is a kenmore 70 series 110 model.

I was thinking that, about not getting it on right, but I made sure it all fit, as best I could, like it was supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
You prob already did all this, but maybe you missed something.

I went round and round with ours and after ordering $150 bucks in parts and it still didn't work I just broke down and got a new one before I wasted anymore money....

Solid advice but we're mech engineers. We can't help it.

View attachment 7211 I had to take a pic of the pic to get it to upload.

When I got it apart, this is what it looked like. This was a brand new coupling.

I've had the washer/dryer set for 10 years now. And it was used, given to me by a friend who bought a house and the house came with a new set.

For a free washer, I think I've spent right at $100 in the past ten years keeping it fixed. If it breaks after this second coupling change, I will be looking at a new one.

Uh oh. Something is wrong with the basket. Might have seized up. Can you turn it by hand?

Back