retake exam: Power

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow Engineers-- Remember, the PE test is designed to find the "Minimally Competent" engineer. This is the D level student. The test is written to make sure that the D level student can pass this examination. After all, the D student is barely passing.

Now, the minimally competent engineer has to have, at least, a basic understanding of the core test areas. After all, you probably passed an ABET accredited program at your college or university
As somebody who has graduated from college with decent grades, passed the FE the first time and has now failed the test twice (with scores not very close to passing), I find this comment insulting.

</rant> The problem with the exam is that is that it is almost completely irrelevant to my job (despite it being requred to advance to higher levels in it). My major was EE. Our school didn't even have a Power concentration if I wanted to take classes in it (not many do). Now that I work at an MEP firm, I still don't need to know the inner workings of transformers or generators. </rant>

I find it amusing multiple people are recommending all this extra studying of the NEC when it is only a maximum of 10 questions on the test and this person already got 6 of them correct. It's one of the subjects he did best in.
Agreed, most EE programs do not have an emphasis on power, especially if your university is a "research institution" where they focus on on the high tech stuff. I was a ME major so when doing the EE PE, I bought the following textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Systems-Analysis-Design-Duncan-Glover/dp/0534548849/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1325655348&sr=8-3

It is the textbook used by universities with "practical curricula". This was my first source. Each chapter has plenty of practice problems. I downloaded the solutions manual (if you interested). After reading chapters 2, 3, &4 and working problems from the book, I was able to answer the majority of the questions on the practice exam that were not code related.

I would skip ch 5, but if you have time read 6-11 (some of these chapters are more practical than others). The book is well indexed, so even during the exam I was able to look up stuff that I had no clue about. The book might be a bit overkill, which is why I recommend skipping lots of stuff especially the heavy math things.

Then I read the PPI EERM. In my opinion, it does not have enough details, but still a great reference. If you combine these two references, it should be adequate. Let me know if you'd like additional study tips.

Thanks, palvarez

Also, to continue with my earlier train of thought, only 61% of first-time PE takers and 27% of re-takers pass this test. Think about that. That's of all the people who graduated college, (very likely) passed the FE and (very likely) have at least 4 years of experience in the job before taking the test. Imagine if that many people in yout classes failed. Actually, imagine if that many people in your graduate level classes failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey palvarez,

Were you allowed to bring sample questions/solutions books in the exam or does CA disallowed them?

thanks,

First, while the problems may be irrelviant to your job, which is probably true, it is more about being able to figure stuff out. As an engineer I run across new stuff all the time that I need to figure out. If you can't pass within 3 tries you don't have the thinking process to be an engineer IMHO.

Second, even though I passed the first time, I wrote a list of items the day I walked out of the test to study and sharpen my skills for next time. Somebody that walks out and says they don't know what to study next time shouldn't be taking it again.

Third, there are many people taking that PE that have no engineering education. Many states allow PE's not be educated. If they changed that requirement that every test taker must have a minimum of a BS degree, the pass rates would increase. Also, not all BS degrees are equal. You may have gotten A's in a small college but would have only gotten C's at a big university.

This is one thing in life you don't get a trophey for just because you participated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just found this site when I was trying to google "retake PE exam" to find if there is a limitation of tries you can make. I am going to have my exam 10 days later, and just started less than 20 days ago. I am surprised that the exam date is not at the end of April or October as I expected, so ended up with one month left for study. Anyway, I hit this thread, and did learn something, especially Mike Holt's NEC video, and other information, really helpful! Thanks, guys!

My 1st post in this forum....and one of the most helpful threads with lots of information

I just found this site when I was trying to google "retake PE exam" to find if there is a limitation of tries you can make. I am going to have my exam 10 days later, and just started less than 20 days ago. I am surprised that the exam date is not at the end of April or October as I expected, so ended up with one month left for study. Anyway, I hit this thread, and did learn something, especially Mike Holt's NEC video, and other information, really helpful! Thanks, guys!

Back