Wait to add P.E. after name?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCProjectEngineer PE PMP

Out in the Field
Reaction score
I believe you can't call yourself a P.E. until you are issued your license number... therefore you shouldn't add it to your e-mail signature or after your name when signing letters. Is this the general consensus here or is it OK to add the letters after your name now while waiting for the license?

I'm going to wait until after I'm assigned a number before I add "PE" to my e-mails, business cards, resume, etc.

EB doesn't count.

Plus, they'll never find me.

I believe you can't call yourself a P.E. until you are issued your license number... therefore you shouldn't add it to your e-mail signature or after your name when signing letters. Is this the general consensus here or is it OK to add the letters after your name now while waiting for the license?

This is NOT true at all! 

It is 'PE' (not 'P.E.') that you should wait to put after your name.

;)

Who says that's my actual first name? ;)
Me.

rkCBZGlpurIli.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I waited. 

Texas gave me a six digit number and they call it PE number.. Is that license number too??

The Okie engineering board says I'll have my license within two weeks, which is how long it'll take my new "bidness" cards to be printed and shipped. I'll start haranguing everyone with my P.E.-ness then.  :wacko:

Thoughts on adding PE after your name on linkedin? I havent done it because i think it looks tacky. But i guess im on the fence.

I noticed that more experienced engineers (typically supervisors) dont often add the PE to their name. 

Latest posts

Back