TV - What are you watching?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got Netflix a couple of months ago, and have gone old-school and started watching the entire X-Files series (after finishing Bob's Burgers, of course!).

I only watched the last two seasons when it was on, and picked up a few re-runs. There are certainly some less than stellar episodes, but some are just outstanding. The "Colony" two-parter from Season 2 (1995) was worthy of a stand-alone movie, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
between Netflix and some streaming sites that I've found I'm going to dump the dish and save myself 70 bucks a month. I'll put up some rabbit ears in the attic. has anyone had experience with those digital ones?

between Netflix and some streaming sites that I've found I'm going to dump the dish and save myself 70 bucks a month. I'll put up some rabbit ears in the attic. has anyone had experience with those digital ones?
Yup. Find my posts. Dex and I just recently went through this. Best decision ever. Cable-free for 3 years now! :D

I got one of the flat antennas from Amazon for <$20. It seems to work really well, but then again, I am currently only about 10 miles from downtown Cincinnati. They've got an amplified version if you're further out, but I'm getting 20-something channels with the cheapie.

I've already got the laptop rigged up to the TV via HDMI and a wireless keyboard/touchpad. That's what I've been using for Netflix since the internet version is much nicer than the app on my blu-ray player. The current setup seems to be working pretty well, but I may see about building a PC that's a little more robust to replace the laptop.

I got one of the flat antennas from Amazon for <$20. It seems to work really well, but then again, I am currently only about 10 miles from downtown Cincinnati. They've got an amplified version if you're further out, but I'm getting 20-something channels with the cheapie.

I've already got the laptop rigged up to the TV via HDMI and a wireless keyboard/touchpad. That's what I've been using for Netflix since the internet version is much nicer than the app on my blu-ray player. The current setup seems to be working pretty well, but I may see about building a PC that's a little more robust to replace the laptop.
I believe Dex and I have the same Terk HD antenna that's also amplified. I get close 30 channels, most in HD and looks great. I have yet to have any signal degradation, even in inclement weather. Antenna is pointed in the most optimal direction (as indicated by antennaweb.org) and also mounted in the attic.

As for the PC, I just recently built a nice compact ITX PC for a client that would probably be perfect as a multi-media PC. Let me know if you're interested and I can send you the specs.

Cem- I got one of the $30 ones from wal mart to use for my garage tv.. Works really well to be honest..... Your up high but have trees so you may need a nicer set up!

I called to cancel my comcast cable last summer and they gave me internet + cable: HBO for $99/ month for a year.... Really can't beat that.....Internet alone is like $65/ month.....

So maybe next summer well go full wireless when I can stream HBO (GOT).....

I would love to do this, but what about TBS, TNT, ESPN for sports? Not to mention Fox sports Midwest or South. Can you get those without a dish or cable?

I finally finished HIMYM. I was close to not having it spoiled and then I accidentally saw some "Year in Review" that mildly ruined it.

Internet alone is like $65/ month.....

:blink: That high?! For what UL/DL speeds?

I would love to do this, but what about TBS, TNT, ESPN for sports? Not to mention Fox sports Midwest or South. Can you get those without a dish or cable?
Depends on what shows you watch. Most of the TBS/TNT/USA etc. can be streamed online using Hulu+/Netflix or the actual show's website itself will typically allow full content streaming (minus the prime movie channels). ESPN is a bit more of a challenge but can also be streamed online through various methods (how I watch TNF and MNF).

I finally finished HIMYM. I was close to not having it spoiled and then I accidentally saw some "Year in Review" that mildly ruined it.
What did you think? LadyFox thought "it ended dumb". LOL

I don't know what the speeds are but the only other option here is Century Link (& everyone tells me it sucks). AT&T doesn't have fiber in my area...

It works pretty well, 2 kids on XBOX, one kid doing something else on the internet, plus wife and I - no problems.. Its just what stuff cost in the "city"

I don't know what the speeds are but the only other option here is Century Link (& everyone tells me it sucks). AT&T doesn't have fiber in my area...

It works pretty well, 2 kids on XBOX, one kid doing something else on the internet, plus wife and I - no problems.. Its just what stuff cost in the "city"
I'd still be interested to see what that premium gets you for speeds. I'm also in the major metropolitan area and Internet alone isn't that expensive. Unless you are getting business-class type speeds. LOL

I think the bill is actually $49.99 but then you have a ton of Bullshit taxes and fee's that Obama likes to add in..

I don't like AT&T but I wish they would run more fiber in the area so there would at least be some competition!

the chicago burbs with comcast got all new boxes and routers forced upon them the provider to make internet speeds faster. both my parents and ILs have actually had a drop in speed since the new faster equipment

Internet alone is like $65/ month.....

:blink: That high?! For what UL/DL speeds?

Depends on what shows you watch. Most of the TBS/TNT/USA etc. can be streamed online using Hulu+/Netflix or the actual show's website itself will typically allow full content streaming (minus the prime movie channels). ESPN is a bit more of a challenge but can also be streamed online through various methods (how I watch TNF and MNF).

What did you think? LadyFox thought "it ended dumb". LOL
I'd concur. I got really into the plotline that happened over the last season to have it all pushed aside for the final two episodes.

we are not really watching any prime time shows anymore- outside of TWD...... really isn't much out there when we look... ready for GOT and True Detective.. I hope HBO's streaming option isn't a fortune when they separate from cable next year! we did enjoy that FX show Married...

Just for kicks I taped my antenna to the window next to the TV and I got really good reception just by doing that.

I think most every channel has their own website nowadays and provide episodes online and I'll still get the network shows over the antenna. I may see about either getting a TV tuner for the laptop or adding one to a new computer so I can use my PC as a DVR.

I haven't cut the cable quite yet, but the more I use it, I'm realizing the hardest thing will be losing the ability to scroll through the channel guide and finding something to watch...note, not necessarily a show I want to watch so much as finding something random to pass the time until something good comes on if that makes sense.

the chicago burbs with comcast got all new boxes and routers forced upon them the provider to make internet speeds faster. both my parents and ILs have actually had a drop in speed since the new faster equipment
This happened to us, too. The new modem has as router built into it, and our wifi UL/DL speeds now suck in the house. We are probably going to bridge the signal with our router that we used before the "upgrade".

Mrs Dex has been into Grays Anatomy on Netflix. She watched a few shows each day. It's not a bad show.

Cem- I got one of the $30 ones from wal mart to use for my garage tv.. Works really well to be honest..... Your up high but have trees so you may need a nicer set up!
LOL, the transmission towers on Lookout mountain make the garage doors open spontaneously around here, so maybe all I need is a coat hanger!

Back