Truck problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ummm.. who filed bankruptcy? oh right... that was GM... guess most of world disagrees

Well,

obviously, I prefer my '68 Camaro over a Mustang, or I would have bought a Mustang (which are much cheaper I might add).

But, I'm not a loyal nut, for the right price, I'd buy a used Ford vehicle, if it were a good deal.

My wife's VOLVO XC90 is from a company now owned by Ford.... so..... whatever that counts as.

But it is fun to joke

I'm loyal to Fords, but I do like the new camero.

One of my dream cars is a 69 camero convertable. But another is a 68 Lincoln continental soft-top (ford).

I think most new chevy's, and dare I say fords, have gotten cheap on the interior. Everything is so plasticy and flimsy these days

Its funny how strong brand loyalties are. My dad was a grease monkey for many years and would agree with DVs interpretation.
My dad got mad a Ford over the Pinto and stayed that way. Not sure what he'd think of the auto industry these days.

I'm toying with the idea of a new truck but I'm going with a 3/4 ton this time around. I actually like the F-150 but the F-250 is ugly as sin. If I pull the trigger, the new ride will likely be a Sierra 2500HD.

Its funny how strong brand loyalties are. My dad was a grease monkey for many years and would agree with DVs interpretation.
My dad got mad a Ford over the Pinto and stayed that way. Not sure what he'd think of the auto industry these days.

I'm toying with the idea of a new truck but I'm going with a 3/4 ton this time around. I actually like the F-150 but the F-250 is ugly as sin. If I pull the trigger, the new ride will likely be a Sierra 2500HD.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... I love the 250... Give me a diesel 250 with a lift and some big-ol tires and 4x4 and I'll be a happy guy. The problem is, it's expensive to buy, fix up, and drive....

I grew up on a farm. To me, lifting a truck does two things:

1. Makes you lift crap that much higher to put it in the bed. Reduces it's value as a truck.

2. Raises the center of gravity. Makes it easier to wind up with the greasy side up.

1. Makes you lift crap that much higher to put it in the bed. Reduces it's value as a truck.

2. Raises the center of gravity. Makes it easier to wind up with the greasy side up.
I'm in the same boat, but would like to add:

3. Overstresses suspension and steering gear.

4. Draws attention to you...usual the gendarmes.

I'm in the same boat, but would like to add:

3. Overstresses suspension and steering gear.

4. Draws attention to you...usual the gendarmes.
but it looks cool :redface:

Seriously, I think it looks stupid when people get carried away.... I like a lift tho for clearance. It's fun for going off road, muddin, and here in FL - the occational flood (from hurricanes) evaider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep trying to convince my wife that it would be a good idea to get a third vehicle. As our primary vehicles age they are requiring more and more visits to the the mechanic, doing so leaves us with only one car to get both of us to work. I don't want to spend the money to get a new vehicle, I like the ones we have I just get fed up of playing "who can I hitch a ride to work with". I figure if we had another vehicle and just use it as a weekend driver or something we wouldn't have to worry about that issue. For some reason my wife doesn't like this idea. Maybe it has something to do with the vehicles I have been suggesting as a third car.

18425173064.290390643.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

:eyebrows:

I love american trucks, but own a jap car for my daily driver. But given the economy, I'd buy an american car if I was in the market for a new vehicle.

Their bringing back the Ford 5.0 for the new mustang which is one bad mo-fo. The camero SS is bad-ass too. and lets not forget the SRT Hemi vehicles

ah...a thread being hijacked on this site??? lol

Badal....If the steam is coming from under the hood, then I wouldn't think it was a head gasket. I KNOW that the 99 models had a problem with a fluid line that ran over top of the engine and would drip antifreeze onto one of the coil packs and cause that to feel like a miss.....I would think something like this certainly could cause your issue, AND would be mostly un-noticeable. These coil packs are finicky too, you try to wash the motor off and start it up and drive it, you may not get out of the driveway.

start the truck up and see if you see ANY sign of a drip onto the motor, I'm guessing that's what it will be.

^^^ That sounds like the legendary opti from the LT1 that is positioned underneath the water pump weep hole.

opti-decal-300x270.jpg

:lmao:

HAHAHA I wonder how many service departments Opti-spark enrichened over the years.

I've been a ford man all my life. Yes, I've had a chevy or two as well (not by choice I may add). The one chev blew through CV axles faster than I could get them changed; I hated that truck with a passion; was VERY happy to see it go to the crusher :)bash: ).

Now I'm getting away from all these computerized vehicles and going OLD school. Carburetors or non-turbo Diesels.

You can keep them new fangled, computer driven vehicles, I'll stick to something I can let sit at -50*F, unplugged, for a WEEK and still get it to start!

The good ol' International Scouts! If it ain't IH or got some IH in it, it don't get parked in my yard!

^^^ That sounds like the legendary opti from the LT1 that is positioned underneath the water pump weep hole.
opti-decal-300x270.jpg

:lmao:
My original opti went at 62k or so. I went with a Dynaspark (this was in 2002 or so, when they first came out). I only have about 70k on the car now though (94 Z Convertible that I bought new in 1994). 4th motor, but only 2nd opti.

(original motor spun a bearing at 17k after dealer "work", 2nd motor had a timing gear failure due to defective gear from Comp Cams, 3rd motor was a trashy little 4.3L L99 that I picked up just to drive the car around, and then now I've got a heads/cam 383 that runs quite nicely :) ).

Back