Truck problem

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
Ive got a truck problem i thought you guys might have some insight to:

Ive got a 2001 F150 4x4 5.4L super crew and for the most part it is in great shape, EXCEPT that I have had to replace the ignition coils twice in the past year and it needs it again I think. one year ago i took it in because it was missing really bad between 45-55mph. the mechanic said it was my coils and even though it was not possible (according to him) to find the exact wrong one he guessed and replaced one. of course this didnt work. after paying him $200 to replace one and not getting it done. i went on Ebay and bought 8 NON OEM ignition coils for $80 and put them in myself. this fixed the problem or seemed to for about 6 months. in June it did it again. so i did it again. Now for the third time in les than a year it is missing bewteen 45-55mph and i am tired of replacing the stupid things. the way i see it there are three possiblities:

1) its not the ignition coils and just coincidenal that replacing them fixes it temporarily

2) i am getting crappy coils.

3) im doing it wrong.

So fast forward a month or so, I have never gotten around to replacing the coils because the problem was so random that it never became a priority. Sunday i pull into church and there is steam coming out from under the hood. I cant find the leak, so i have a different mechanic look at it. He cant find a leak either but he had to put in ALOT of antifreeze. He asked if it was missing and i said yes (told story about coils). He thinks its a head gasket or some other god awful problem. could this have been my problem all along and not the coils? If so whats this going to cost roughly to fix?

For the steam issue, you probably have a freeze plug with a hole in it. With any luck, it's in the rear of the block where you can't reach.

Losing antifreeze and a miss can be signs of a bad head gasket. But, on older Chevy's (which is what I know, I don't know Fords), can also be an intake manifold gasket. Either way, need to do a cooling system pressure test to confirm (shops can do this).

If antifreeze is getting in to a cylinder - either past the head gasket or via an intake port, it'll cause a misfire. You should be able to plug in an advanced scan tool and do a Misfire Diagnostics, and it should be able to pinpoint the troubled cylinder.

The new coils "may" have covered up the problem, but now that it's (possibly) gotten worse, the new coils aren't powerful enough to overcome the additional water in the fuel/air mixture.

At least those are my hypothesis. :)

Try the f150forum.
Usuing their search, I came up with this:

http://www.f150forum.com/f4/truck-stutters-any-ideas-60884/
i actually posted there first. i didnt see this thread though. There were 4 pages of responses and everybody was in the same predicament as me...scratching their perverbial heads.
I've encountered more of that with the mod motors than any other engine I can think of. My Dad has a Lincoln TC that he's been driving around with the check engine light on. They can't find anything wrong, throws no codes, but they reset the light and it comes back on after a while.

Tech told hm if something really did go badly wrong, the appropriate warning light would come on to indcate the problem.

Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive got a truck problem i thought you guys might have some insight to:
Ive got a 2001 F150 4x4 5.4L super crew and for the most part it is in great shape, EXCEPT that I have had to replace the ignition coils twice in the past year and it needs it again I think. one year ago i took it in because it was missing really bad between 45-55mph. the mechanic said it was my coils and even though it was not possible (according to him) to find the exact wrong one he guessed and replaced one. of course this didnt work. after paying him $200 to replace one and not getting it done. i went on Ebay and bought 8 NON OEM ignition coils for $80 and put them in myself. this fixed the problem or seemed to for about 6 months. in June it did it again. so i did it again. Now for the third time in les than a year it is missing bewteen 45-55mph and i am tired of replacing the stupid things. the way i see it there are three possiblities:

1) its not the ignition coils and just coincidenal that replacing them fixes it temporarily

2) i am getting crappy coils.

3) im doing it wrong.

So fast forward a month or so, I have never gotten around to replacing the coils because the problem was so random that it never became a priority. Sunday i pull into church and there is steam coming out from under the hood. I cant find the leak, so i have a different mechanic look at it. He cant find a leak either but he had to put in ALOT of antifreeze. He asked if it was missing and i said yes (told story about coils). He thinks its a head gasket or some other god awful problem. could this have been my problem all along and not the coils? If so whats this going to cost roughly to fix?

First of all: The biggest problem you have is owning a FORD!! Should've bought a Chevy :p

Seriously though... an easy way to check if its your head gasket is to pull out the dipstick and see if it looks like there's a water/antifreeze and oil mixture. If the coolant isn't leaking out of the engine and the head gasket is blown then its all going into the oil pan. Also this would cause it to overheat, which explains the steam. Not a cheap fix as you have to take apart the top of the engine to replace the gasket. Best of luck. Hope this helps!

Try replacing the ground wires and make sure their bolted to the frame well. If there is a bad connection, it could be wearing the coil.

See if your local library has the factory service manual for your truck. If they do, follow the steps to replace the head gasket. Did this with my Tracer and, even though it initially was intimidating tearing into the top end, after everything was said and done, the repair was fairly simple. :)

First of all: The biggest problem you have is owning a FORD!! Should've bought a Chevy :p
Q: How do you double the value of a Chevy?

A: Put gas in it.

Q: How is a golf ball different from a Chevy?

A: You can drive a golf ball 200 yards.

Q: Why are there sidewalks beside streets?

A: So Chevy owners have a safe place to walk home.

Q: How much wood could a GM truck haul if a GM truck could haul wood?

A: As much as the Ford towing it.

Q. Whats the difference between a Chevy and a Tampon?

A. A tampon comes with its own tow rope

Q. Why do Chevys have magnetized bumpers

A. To pick up the parts that fall off other Chevys

Q. How do you make a Chevy accelerate 0-60 mph in less than 15

seconds?

A. Push it off a cliff.

Q. What is found on the last two pages of every Chevy’s owners manual?

A. The bus schedule.

Q. What did the auto parts counterman say when the customer said,

“I’ll take a set of wiper blades for my Chevy”?

A. Sounds like a fair trade.

Yet,

this thread is about what type of vehicle?

F.O.R.D. = Fixed Or Repaired Daily

F.O.R.D. = Found On Roadside Dead

could go on and on

Found on repairman's doorstep

Found on rack daily

Ford Owners Recommend Dodge

Full Of Rust Deposits

Faithful, Obedient, Reliable, Dependable

F**ker Only Rolls Downhill

Fancy Oil Recycling Device

Found On Rubbish Dump

Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Depreciation

F***ing Old Rebuilt Dodge

For Old Retired Drunks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet,
this thread is about what type of vehicle?

F.O.R.D. = Fixed Or Repaired Daily

F.O.R.D. = Found On Roadside Dead

could go on and on

Found on repairman's doorstep

Found on rack daily

Ford Owners Recommend Dodge

Full Of Rust Deposits

Faithful, Obedient, Reliable, Dependable

F**ker Only Rolls Downhill

Fancy Oil Recycling Device

Found On Rubbish Dump

Frequent Overhaul, Rapid Depreciation

F***ing Old Rebuilt Dodge

For Old Retired Drunks

They can't even give away Chevy's - That's why they put a bow-tie on it for their emblem

Q. What do you call a Chevy with brakes?

A. Customized.

Q. How do you make a Chevy go faster down hill?

A. Turn the engine off.

Q. Why don't Chevy's sustain much damage in front end collisions?

A. The tow truck takes most of the impact.

Q. What do you call Chevy passengers?

A. Shock absorbers.

CHEVROLET

Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time

ford-sucks1.jpg

A man pulled up next to a little girl walking home from school and said "If you get in, I'll give you a lollypop." The girl kept walking. Following along slowly, the man said "Come on and get in the car with me and I'll give you two lolly pops." She kept her eyes on the sidewalk and continued on her way. The man said "Get in with me and I'll give you this whole bag of lollypops!" Finally, the girl turned and said "Look daddy, YOU bought the Ford, YOU ride in it!!!"

Its funny how strong brand loyalties are. My dad was a grease monkey for many years and would agree with DVs interpretation.

Hope you can figure out the problem with your truck!

Back