Tips for Maryland Test Takers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, this post has been very informative, as I will be taking the Maryland PE exam in April, 2018.  Quick question to the OP regarding the "secret" Timonium Rd entrance.. Is it possible to just enter the side entrance in the morning and skip having to move my car at lunch altogether?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, this post has been very informative, as I will be taking the Maryland PE exam in April, 2018.  Quick question to the OP regarding the "secret" Timonium Rd entrance.. Is it possible to just enter the side entrance in the morning and skip having to move my car at lunch altogether?

Thanks in advance.
It should be possible to use the side entrance. There were cars in that side lot when I got there in the mornings both times so they had to get in somehow.

I just always came from a hotel north on York Rd and took the first entrance. Even though I was sufficiently early the second time, I didn't  want to try to drive that extra 1/4 mi in traffic around the corner. I'm not local to Hunt Valley so I didn't want to tempt fate. If you are familiar enough with the area, or have scouted it out ahead of time, or are just really early, go ahead and try there first.

Good luck in April!

It should be possible to use the side entrance. There were cars in that side lot when I got there in the mornings both times so they had to get in somehow.

I just always came from a hotel north on York Rd and took the first entrance. Even though I was sufficiently early the second time, I didn't  want to try to drive that extra 1/4 mi in traffic around the corner. I'm not local to Hunt Valley so I didn't want to tempt fate. If you are familiar enough with the area, or have scouted it out ahead of time, or are just really early, go ahead and try there first.

Good luck in April!
Thanks!  I'm coming up from Northern Virginia so I will definitely be staying at a hotel near the exam site the night before and will give it a shot.  I'd rather pack a lunch, eat in the car, and save the 5-10 minutes time for mental regrouping prior to the afternoon session instead of having to worry about where I'm parked.. 

I love NoVa/DC/Baltimore traffic! (Said no one, ever).

-J

Time for the biannual thread bump.

Remember to keep all electronics (except approved calculator) and jewelry at home or in your car.

Good luck on Friday!

Happy home stretch, Maryland peeps.. Can anyone point me to where I can find the "Maryland Specific Exam Rules" that have been mentioned? I'm fairly confident about the exam material, but with less than a week to go, I want to be sure I am compliant with the exam site rules regarding things like clear plastic bins, what consists of an "approved comfort aid", whether I will run afoul of the proctors for drawing process lines on 11x17 psych charts, etc. The DLLR website isn't helpful, as it seems to only discuss the requirements to be seated for the exam, but not rules for the exam itself. Other than the exam notice, and the general NCEES rules, is there somewhere else I should be looking for Maryland Specific exam rules that are above and/or beyond the exam notice and the NCEES rules? I also want to check if my fitbit is good to go (jk) 

Thanks, 

-J

Happy home stretch, Maryland peeps.. Can anyone point me to where I can find the "Maryland Specific Exam Rules" that have been mentioned? I'm fairly confident about the exam material, but with less than a week to go, I want to be sure I am compliant with the exam site rules regarding things like clear plastic bins, what consists of an "approved comfort aid", whether I will run afoul of the proctors for drawing process lines on 11x17 psych charts, etc. The DLLR website isn't helpful, as it seems to only discuss the requirements to be seated for the exam, but not rules for the exam itself. Other than the exam notice, and the general NCEES rules, is there somewhere else I should be looking for Maryland Specific exam rules that are above and/or beyond the exam notice and the NCEES rules? I also want to check if my fitbit is good to go (jk) 

Thanks, 

-J
In Oct 2013 they sent out the NCEES examinee guide, exam authorization sheet which included a box at the top with site specific instructions, and a separate page with Maryland site specific rules. I don't recall them sending it out the last one in Oct 2014. Back then they sent everything in a single email (or a link to a site with everything). No one else has mentioned the Maryland specific rules sheet since then either. I included it in the original post a couple years ago because I thought it was still a thing. Maybe it's since been phased out.

So long as you follow the more restrictive rules from the NCESS guide and authorization sheet you should be okay. They'll reread the rules before the test and give you an opportunity to "get legal" before everything starts.

You can always contact DLLR if you have any questions.

We're less than 10 days out from the test so it's time for the semi-annual bump of the Maryland test takers. Feel free to post any questions here about taking the test in Maryland.

This is a living thread so the reader can see how the rules have changed over time *cough* fitbit *cough*. Likewise, after you take the test next week come back and post your own insights and advice. Especially if anyone has an answer to the seat cushion question.

Remember to read the all of the rules, leave your electronics in the car, and wear nothing on your wrists. Good luck next week!

Especially if anyone has an answer to the seat cushion question. 
FWIW.. I brought and used a seat cushion (April, 2018). It was never an issue with the proctors. I brought it into the room in my clear crate along with my other materials, and left it on my chair during the lunch break.  I didn't notice anyone else with a cushion, but it was a room with 300+ test takers so I can't be sure. I definitely received a lot of jealous looks from other test takers when sitting back down for the afternoon session. I highly recommend bringing a cushion simply to minimize the number of potential mental distractions during the exam.

If in doubt however, check with the board. 

Semi-annual

6b8c71ab9fdad57fa1dc8170459533c0.336x252x126.gif

Post any Maryland specific questions or advice here. Feel free to come back after the exam and share anything new too!

Leave all electronics and in the car and wear nothing on your wrists.

Good luck next Friday!

and wear nothing on your wrists.
Maryland does allow you to wear a wrist watch (but it can not be a smart watch). I took the test in October 2018 and if you didn't bring a watch you were out of luck. There was absolutely no clock during the morning test. During lunch the proctors set up two very large digital count down clocks which were used during the afternoon test. 

Maryland does allow you to wear a wrist watch (but it can not be a smart watch). I took the test in October 2018 and if you didn't bring a watch you were out of luck. There was absolutely no clock during the morning test. During lunch the proctors set up two very large digital count down clocks which were used during the afternoon test. 
Interesting. Anyone else take it April 2018? If I'm recalling correctly, I brought a wrist watch and they would not allow them. They had the large countdown clocks the whole exam so maybe that's why. But it would be nice if they were consistent!

Semi-annual bump. Be sure to read, re-read, and comply with the (more restrictive) rules on your exam authorization. Leave all non-approved electronics in your car.

Feel free to post any Maryland specific questions here, or to post your own experiences.

Good luck next week!

I would like to make a couple of updates:

1. Exam was held in the Exhibition Hall.

2. There isn't a clock. If you have the choice, spring for an analog watch. I had a proctor try to confiscate my "dumb" digital watch. I put it away. Then I BEGGED to used it. She conferred with a different proctor who said my watch was fine.

3. Definitely bring a cart or something on wheels if you have more than a few books. People shuffled from one line to another carrying bins and crates and they just looked miserable. Also there's a lot of standing and waiting in line in the dark. Make it easy on yourself and bring a cart to move around as needed. 

Also, don’t wear a hoodie or sweatshirt with a hood. Guy sitting across the aisle from me had to take off his sweatshirt and take the exam in his tank top undershirt.

I feel bad for him. Supposedly cold helps people think better, but i wouldn't want to test that theory during the PE.

I can confirm seat cushions are fine...glad I brought one, those chairs were ridiculous!

We're about two weeks out, so it's time for the semi-annual bump.

I don't know if the Maryland exams are being held at the State fairgrounds, but if they are then you may find this thread useful. Post any questions you may have in this thread, and come back after the exams to share any site specific advice.

As always read and reread all of the rules and instructions for the exam; especially anything new related to covid. 

Good luck next week!

We're about two weeks out, so it's time for the semi-annual bump.

I don't know if the Maryland exams are being held at the State fairgrounds, but if they are then you may find this thread useful. Post any questions you may have in this thread, and come back after the exams to share any site specific advice.

As always read and reread all of the rules and instructions for the exam; especially anything new related to covid. 

Good luck next week!
What a great thread! The exam is still being held at the fairgrounds in the exhibition hall. For COVID, everyone will have their own table, spaced 6 feet apart from other tables. I'm taking the ArchE PE, and plan on having 2 rolling suitcases in order to carry all of my references, practice problems and binders with notes. I read the earlier post about clear plastic bins, is it possible to bring those in addition to the suitcases? So I can organize everything in the bins and put the suitcases against a wall? Good to know about the clocks, I'll have to go find a mechanical watch this week

Back