Time to end affirmative action?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Affirmative action based on gender

• should be stopped

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • should continue

• no opinion

• Total voters
To quote James Caan in The Program:

Yeah, but when was the last time 80,000 people showed up to watch a kid do a damn chemistry experiment? Why don't you stick the bow-tie up your ass?

:eek:ld-025:

Athletics are a a mixed bag.

Yes, it does suck that some serious idiots get full scholarships to college for athletic ability alone.

However, most of them go to state schools, and they bring in a LOT more money than their education costs.

When I was at Ohio State, not only was all of the equipment for the football team and all of the apparell for the other sports provided by Nike (heck, we even got jackets, sweatshirts, sweatpants, polos, hats, sneakers, etc just for the rifle team), but the school was paid 4.5 BILLION from their endorsement deal. Thats a loooot of money to put towards education, even when you subtract the cost of all the full and partial athletic scholarships. All that is before you factor in how much they make off the merchandising and filling 105,000 seats every other weekend.

^^^^So I guess that it is right to deny entry to a decent student who really wants to make a career, who only wants a chance to prove he can do it, and take instead a talented athlete who is not thinking about being a useful pro and help the society, but it is thinking about being a pro and have a day of glory for himself every Sunday, just beacuse will help the university raise more money.

I understand. Do not like it but understand what is this all about. It must be a great joy for the universities when, at the Super Bowl, they present the starting line up and it says: Joe Smith, 320 pounds, College: XYZ University. That is seen by millions and millions.

The pharmacist diploma at Walgreens or CVS is overlooked most of the time and, if seen, only some costumers will give a hoot.

Hoot Hoot.

DK, I'd assume we all pretty much agree with you, but to make you feel better, try looking at it as if that athlete is raising enough $$ to pay for his and two other guys tuition.

it may help ease the pain.

College athletics ought to just go ahead and drop the pretense and become semi-pro.

they should only let the pro players say what school they went to if they actually graduated. that would give more time on MNF to show the cheerleaders!

I don't watch football because it really gets in the way of watching the cheerleaders.

they should only let the pro players say what school they went to if they actually graduated. that would give more time on MNF to show the cheerleaders!
I like your idea. Every now and then you get the guy that says what high school he graduated from. I like it when you hear 'John Doe, PS-45'.

i think they should let the cheerleaders say what school they went to while simultaneously jumping on a trampoline (ala The Man Show)

not necessary we'll share it, I just expanded on his excellent idea.

I think the cheerleaders from opposing teams should wrestle each other during half-time.

^^^^So I guess that it is right to deny entry to a decent student who really wants to make a career, who only wants a chance to prove he can do it, and take instead a talented athlete who is not thinking about being a useful pro and help the society, but it is thinking about being a pro and have a day of glory for himself every Sunday, just beacuse will help the university raise more money.
2lad40i.gif

Back