Time off of work...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which best describes your time off situation:

• 1-2 wks with no approval regarding content.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2 wks with approval regarding reasons for time off.

• 2-3 wks with no approval regarding content.

• 2-3 wks with approval regarding reasons for time off.

• 3+ wks with no approval required.

• 3+ wks with approval required.

• Are you kidding? I am my own boss!

• Total voters

McEngr

Reaction score
I ask this question because my boss rejected my request for time off to help a friend move. I requested well in advance and stated that I'd come in over the weekend if necessary. My company is changing its policy on time-off approval: you have to get permission and state why you want to leave at least 2 weeks in advance unless it's an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that legal?? How can they dictate how you spend your leave?

Ours is kind of a "go when you get the chance" kind of deal. I think I have about three weeks per year, But, I only take one full week off. I'll take a Friday now and then to make a long weekend to go hunting, fishing, and diving.

My boss is a really great guy! He doesn't believe in staying at work just to be there. Finish your work and get out!

Of course we work some over time when it's necessary, and maybe even put in some time on the weekends (very rare). It all balances out in the end.

But, I've never been denied vacation time.

If I want a day or so, or a long weekend, I just tell my boss. If I want extended time, I fill out a form. I can generally take whatever time I want, it's just a matter of filling out stuff for accounting purposes.

The thing when it's a long break is that I coordinate it with my boss. He generally likes one of us here to man the shop.But as long as that's cool, I'm all set.

I ask this question because my boss rejected my request for time off to help a friend move. I requested well in advance and stated that I'd come in over the weekend if necessary. My company is changing its policy on time-off approval: you have to get permission and state why you want to leave at least 2 weeks in advance unless it's an emergency.

You still working for that dude? WTF? We have to get approval 30days in advance and we're not allowed to take more than 1week off at a time, but I've never been denied days. They also stretch the rules a bit, it's possible to get approved for more than 1wk at a time and with less than 30days notice. It really just boils down to making sure someone can cover the work while you're away.

If they ever asked me why I wanted to take time off I'd tell them that there was going to be a death in the family that day and see what they said. That really rubbed me the wrong way McEgr, it's none of their business why you take the time off, a simple yes or no answer is all they need to give you.

I'm not sure. Any legal-ese out there? I was quite pissed at the time, but my friend understood.
McEng:

you sure seem to have some strange issues where you work. If you asked well in advance AND offered to put in "off-time" to cover any work flow and they STILL said no, then I'd call in sick and go help your friend.

I'm not sure they can legally require you to tell them why you want the time off and morally it's wrong for them to pass judgement on how to spend your free time (unless your a criminal or a pervert).

I think the short answer is NO most companyies don't operate that way.

good luck

I'm with Metro on this one. If the shit goes down, and you need a day, I think by all means you should be granted it.

If you walk up to the boss and ask for a week off the day before you want it, that's different. But every once in a while, life happens, and you need some time to handle it.

I agree with you Metro & VT. They always ask me why/what/etc. I am planning to do with my time off, sometimes I tell them, sometimes I don't. It is none of their business... and I like to keep my work life separate from my personal life anyway.

I don't even know how much vacation I get... its not documented anywhere. I do keep a log for myself of when I am gone, when I work a weekend, etc. just in case it comes up. I have never been denied a day/time off, but then they know I don't abuse it.

I took a day off last year to help a friend move, they approved it, and I took a company truck to help them move (and it was a 6hr drive each way).

Last edited by a moderator:
McEng:you sure seem to have some strange issues where you work. If you asked well in advance AND offered to put in "off-time" to cover any work flow and they STILL said no, then I'd call in sick and go help your friend.

I'm not sure they can legally require you to tell them why you want the time off and morally it's wrong for them to pass judgement on how to spend your free time (unless your a criminal or a pervert).

I think the short answer is NO most companyies don't operate that way.

good luck

True, but on the flip side of the coin, the company is NOT required by law to give you time off or vacation. What we all take for granted.....is really a perk to the job. So, from that perspective, if they want to be f'tard about it (and how you spend it), they are within their legal right to do so. However, is it bad policy? I think so. Is it bad for morale? Absolutely. Would I want to work there? No way! :eek:ldman:

McEngr, it seems like this company has been yanking with you forever on a lot of ;) issues. There are plenty of other engineering companies out there. Don't waste anymore of your time with these blood sucking :asthanos: I'd say cut your loses and move on. Besides, any ENGINEERING company that does not recognize the value/hardwork/dedication of obtaining the PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING LICENSURE (regardless of what state it's in), certainly won't be able to tell it's ass from its elbow . :true:

In response to the poll, I get 2 weeks paid every year and my boss doesn't give a damn how I spend it. We have a relaxed atmosphere and everyone busts their ass when their on the job, so my boss is appreciative and more than willing to approve time off without giving a damn.

It makes for a high morale working environment, which is turn, makes us work harder for our boss and thus makes him more :eek:ldman: ;) :asthanos: :true: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents:

He is a smart dude because he come out WAY WAY WAY AHEAD financially.

Thanks for all the responses guys... I'm trying to avoid looking like a loser every time I post :eek:ldman: , but just for the record, I'm just biding my time until I get my PE reference from him. Then, I'm gone!!!

True, but on the flip side of the coin, the company is NOT required by law to give you time off or vacation. What we all take for granted.....is really a perk to the job. So, from that perspective, if they want to be about it (and how you spend it), they are within their legal right to do so.
Big, the only exception that I'll take to this is qualify it with is PAID time off is a perk. In McE's case he was willing to "pay back" the work by working extra hours, he was just looking for permission to modify his work hours.

Most engineering firms don't keep store hours and the employees that do need to be there during traditional "working hours" aren't the engineers.

I'd say cut your loses and move on. Besides, any ENGINEERING company that does not recognize the value/hardwork/dedication of obtaining the PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERING LICENSURE (regardless of what state it's in), certainly won't be able to tell it's ass from its elbow .
'tis true bigwolf... the morale has definitely hit a low for me. All I'm focusing on is doing my job well and training myself for that next step, which is inevitable.

Don't cry for me... I've already moved on (in my mind), and I'm going to let the owner (not my immediate supervisor) know of my decision soon.

BTW... It's FRIDAY!!! :eek:ldman:

Big, the only exception that I'll take to this is qualify it with is PAID time off is a perk. In McE's case he was willing to "pay back" the work by working extra hours, he was just looking for permission to modify his work hours.
Most engineering firms don't keep store hours and the employees that do need to be there during traditional "working hours" aren't the engineers.

Excellent point MA_PE

'tis true bigwolf... the morale has definitely hit a low for me. All I'm focusing on is doing my job well and training myself for that next step, which is inevitable.
Don't cry for me... I've already moved on (in my mind), and I'm going to let the owner (not my immediate supervisor) know of my decision soon.

BTW... It's FRIDAY!!! :th_rockon:

McEngr--That's good to hear. Glad to hear you are going to get what you need and then hit the road. Those assholes aren't worth the time of day.

Happy Friday in deed!!!!!!

I get 3 weeks paid vacation every year, plus the obligatory paid holidays. Xmas, New Year's day, Mem. day, Labor day, Turkey day and July 4th :unitedstates: :210:

I really can't complain about the amount of vacation time, even though I'm sure I could figure out how to use 2 months or so each year. :th_rockon:

My boss usually asks me where I'm going as he rubber stamps my vacation form, but just because he's genuinely curious, not because he'd say "no" if he didn't approve of my activities.

wow Mcengr, every time I think my boss sucks I am going to read through your threads..

I am sorry you are in that situation, I would hate to put up with that bullshit day in day out.

wow Mcengr, every time I think my boss sucks I am going to read through your threads..
I am sorry you are in that situation, I would hate to put up with that bullshit day in day out.
LOL! I wish I could've seen this comin' before I said "yes". He's only been a manager for 6 months. My old boss was a 30+year veteran for structural. He's STILL on his vacation and won't take phonecalls from Mexico. I don't blame him... he couldn't get along with my new boss as it is... :th_rockon:

Speaking of time off does anyone elses spouse "spend" their vacations for them? Come June Ill have about 2 weeks of vacation saved up and my wife has it perfectly budgeted for our two vacations this summer (Gulf Shores and Ireland). It really pisses me off because I would rather have one of those vacation weeks saved incase I want to take a random day off here and there. I asked off for Ireland already because we bought the plane tickets and one week of vacation is fine. Im trying to figure out how to tell her I would rather skip Gulf Shores this year (her whole family goes, 40+ people) and keep my vacation days.

Back