~~**-- The Weather Thread --**~~

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had to shovel the roof this past Saturday as the warm temps following tons of snow had me worried. It wasn't getting below freezing even without the sun shining. That usually doesn't happen in February up here at 10k above sea level.

At least it's been warm and sunny for the past two days. More snow coming tomorrow, but we're off to Florida so it can do what it wants. Vacation - oh yeah.

Fill the leg of an old nylon stocking or pantyhose with ice melt pellets and lay it perpendicular across the ice dam. The pellets will melt a trough in the ice dam to allow the trapped to flow off the roof. It sounds silly but it works to help draing water off of the roof.

I feel your pain. We used to have significant water ingress from ice dams. When I re-roofed about 5-6 years ago I had the entire roof covered in ice and water shield and made sure that the membrane was run over the roof edge and onto the fascia boards behind the gutters. I have plenty of icicles forming now but no water inside (fingers crossed it stays that way).

We have a winter storm warning up. NOAA is saying 4"-7" for MSP.

I bet we only get 3"-4" from this.

We had a warm front come in and it made for one hell of a burst of rain and some drawn out thunder and lightning at about 2am last night. Woke up everyone in the house, including the dogs. Wasn't able to fall back asleep, so I'm dragging ass today.

Prediction is for rain this after noon and warming for the next few days with more rain. I'm hoping all the melting snow and rainwater gets into the ground and is not diverted into my basement. Also hope it doesn't for a skating rink in my driveway/basement. I not real big on skating.

40's and 50's all week. Not sure when we're supposed to get precipitation again, which is surprising considering I washed the car on Saturday...

ice dam: DECOMMISSIONED!

With the use of a hammer, chisel, drill, roof rake and a torch I was able to remove the section of the dam which was causing the leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fill the leg of an old nylon stocking or pantyhose with ice melt pellets and lay it perpendicular across the ice dam. The pellets will melt a trough in the ice dam to allow the trapped to flow off the roof. It sounds silly but it works to help draing water off of the roof.

I feel your pain. We used to have significant water ingress from ice dams. When I re-roofed about 5-6 years ago I had the entire roof covered in ice and water shield and made sure that the membrane was run over the roof edge and onto the fascia boards behind the gutters. I have plenty of icicles forming now but no water inside (fingers crossed it stays that way).
and this is genius my friend. I still have ice dams across the rest of my roof with the exception of today's task, so you can bet I will be using this. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
40's and 50's all week. Not sure when we're supposed to get precipitation again, which is surprising considering I washed the car on Saturday...
AKA the rain dance of inhabitants of the arid West.

Still funny as hell... I was just at Krogers and people were staring out the window with freight! It's raining!!!!!!!!

Back