The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some interesting tips, related to the conversation about gait a while back: https://www.runnersworld.com/personal-best/4-ways-to-master-your-running-form
Thanks for posting. My change in gait has been revolutionary - I went from being able to run no faster than a 10 minute mile, to reliably running 3 miles at a 8.5 minute pace, without significant pain afterward, too. (although lately one of my knees is starting to bother me).  I know that's not very fast compared to real runners, but it's pretty damn fast for me.

Thanks for posting. My change in gait has been revolutionary - I went from being able to run no faster than a 10 minute mile, to reliably running 3 miles at a 8.5 minute pace, without significant pain afterward, too. (although lately one of my knees is starting to bother me).  I know that's not very fast compared to real runners, but it's pretty damn fast for me.
Dleg, that's awesome!

Ohhhh I got a late birthday present (my original one was lost in the mail) and it's the beautiful Garmin Forerunner 235. I can't wait to try it out!

Now that I finally have my arm band to carry my phone, too, this will likely revolutionize my runs.

I'm registered for a half marathon in April and am actually going to attempt to train for it, in the hopes of finishing under 1:45.

To track distances and donate to charity at the same time. Ever heard of the Charity Miles app?
I sure have. But having a smart device on your wrist should suffice. Which then syncs up to your phone upon reconnecting. That's particularly why I went with the Samsung Gear Fit 2. GPS, heart rate monitoring, altitude tracking, and 4GB of storage space so I can also stream music from it to my wireless headphones. :thumbs:

Let's step up your technology game Leggo... :p

I sure have. But having a smart device on your wrist should suffice. Which then syncs up to your phone upon reconnecting. That's particularly why I went with the Samsung Gear Fit 2. GPS, heart rate monitoring, altitude tracking, and 4GB of storage space so I can also stream music from it to my wireless headphones. :thumbs:

Let's step up your technology game Leggo... :p
You shush! I clearly don't understand all of the functions of the piece of tech I received two days ago and have not even tested out yet.

Also, phone? To take photos!

giphy.gif

Ohhhh I got a late birthday present (my original one was lost in the mail) and it's the beautiful Garmin Forerunner 235. I can't wait to try it out!

Now that I finally have my arm band to carry my phone, too, this will likely revolutionize my runs.

I'm registered for a half marathon in April and am actually going to attempt to train for it, in the hopes of finishing under 1:45.
Dang good luck!  Wish I could run that fast. 

Dang good luck!  Wish I could run that fast. 
Thanks! I have never done it before, and the course on the race I'm shooting for isn't the easiest course.

My PR right now is 1:48:08, which I ran on a fast course last March with little training. While knocking 3+ minutes off my time won't be easy, I think it's doable!

Thanks! I have never done it before, and the course on the race I'm shooting for isn't the easiest course.

My PR right now is 1:48:08, which I ran on a fast course last March with little training. While knocking 3+ minutes off my time won't be easy, I think it's doable!
Oh yeah, 3 minutes should definitely be doable!  

I've been hovering in the 1:55-2:00 range the past several years, but I don't think I do enough speed work to take me over that hurdle.  

Oh yeah, 3 minutes should definitely be doable!  

I've been hovering in the 1:55-2:00 range the past several years, but I don't think I do enough speed work to take me over that hurdle.  
That's exactly my situation, too. I don't do any speed work at ALL. But I'm thinking my new Garmin will help considerably with that.

That's exactly my situation, too. I don't do any speed work at ALL. But I'm thinking my new Garmin will help considerably with that.
The Garmin would be a fun tool to have!  I didn't use any kind of tracking for years, but have been liking my Milestone Pod.  And it lets me know what I need to work on with my form.

The Garmin would be a fun tool to have!  I didn't use any kind of tracking for years, but have been liking my Milestone Pod.  And it lets me know what I need to work on with my form.
Huh, I've never even heard of that! It looks interesting.

so yesterday I was supposed to have a 3:30 meeting with a client near my house, client cancelled at the last minute, I had my running gear with me so I went ahead and called it quits for the day and went for a run on one of the trails near my house since its probably the last day of 50 degree weather for a while.. and I get about half way into the run and see a bunch of dudes in orange safety vests on the trail and as I get closer its my boss and some of our construction management people who were out doing some pre scoping work for an upcoming proposal on the trail (its owned by the neighboring city where I live, and was just like, ughhhhhhh hey guys... just trying to get this on my go pro for the presentation interview! :D  

Back