The Running Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job, @Dleg! I actually have never specifically considered my strike, but I know I like to run in shoes that provide me with more of a mid- or forefoot strike than a heel strike. I injured myself in some old running shoes that weren't the right fit, and after I injured myself, I looked back at an old race photo and saw that I was heel striking hard! No bueno. Also, don't be surprised if you get sore in different parts of your legs (calves in particular) when you change your strike. But it should go away as you start to work those muscles like they should be used!

Speaking of races, I have a 12k on Sunday! Yay!

Cool!  I am looking forward to really training for a 10k now, if this actually fixes my problem. In the past, whenever I went beyond 5k I started developing shin splints, so I would have to cut back.  I am fairly certain now it was just from the biomechanics of how I was running.  

It also helps that I went to a real running store after I initially changed my gait, and got properly fitted for a new pair of shoes using their gait analysis system.  But I really think the gait was 90% of the problem. Heel cushioning and positioning can't overcome the basic stresses involved in running that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done, @Dleg!

My 12k yesterday was fun! I was pretty sleepless going into it for various reasons, but I ended up running it in 59:23, so that was pretty cool. I told myself during the race that I would be pleased with myself if I ran it in under an hour, but wasn't paying any attention to how long it was taking me (despite the fact that I was tracking myself on Strava). So when I rounded the last bend and say the clock turn to 59:00, I sprinted my way to the end (it wasn't far!) to get in under that one hour mark.

Now I'm really thinking I should invest in a running watch. I've heard great things from multiple people about the Garmin Forerunner 235, which can count steps, track runs, track bike rides (either on a stationary bike or actual bike), can sync to Strava, and has a heart rate monitor in it. It's even waterproof up to 50M down, which would be great if I decide to get more into open water swimming. That has basically everything I'm looking for! Now it's just a matter of when I bite the bullet...

Dleg, are you running on the road or something?

Try running on the grass, it helps with those shin splints.

Yeah, that's not a realistic option (plus these days I am running dirt roads, which is pretty forgiving.)

I have struggled with the shin splints for over 20 years now.  I have tried everything. The only thing that makes any sense at all is the running style.  So far it is working, now 3 runs into it. It's going to take a while to make it feel more natural, but the 4 minutes improvement over a 5 k run has held, and so has the lack of shin splint pain.  Pretty amazing. 

any of you hardcore runners have a non fit bit watch like this:?

https://www.rei.com/product/121185/garmin-fenix-5-multisport-gps-heart-rate-monitor-watch

I wouldn't normally spend this much on  a watch / toy.. But we've got a thing going on with our work insurance where we can get up to $500 bucks in gift cards for doing various crap, like earn $25 for going to get your bloodwork, $100 for getting a physical, $50 bucks for doing a 5K,etc... I'm right at $300 so far and I was thinking of getting one of these.  I've never cared for the fit-bits, they just don't sit on my wrist well, bought one XL and returned it.

What I mainly want is one that I can use for running that tracks distance and speed, hiking (some GPS functions) and tracking ski runs.

A friend of mine that competes in Ironman races uses a Garmin Fenix, and he swears by it.  But then again, he needs the water resistance and has the bicycle attachments that connect to the Fenix to record cadence, etc.

I have a lower-spec'd, lower priced Garmin (don't remember the model) that has heart rate and GPS, and it is pretty awesome.  I like that it maps your runs and keeps track of steps per minute, stride, "lap" times (usually just 1 mile split times, but I think you can configure it for actual laps), etc.

I've got several friends that use those and seem to really enjoy them.  It also tracks elevation gained and lost, so that's cool.

HFS, $600?! :blink:

That's essentially like buying another smart phone. Definitely has a nice feature set though.

The one I have also has on-board heart rate monitoring, GPS (auto-maps activities), Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc. so it can be used independently from a smart phone (that was my goal). These features though seem to be quickly becoming the norm I think.

yeah but it will show you your location in real time on a map, even in the middle of BFE CO Elevation 12,000 feet & then lets you plot your course backwards - its like a digital back azimuth....

untitled-6-1492011559-ymlZ-full-width-inline.jpg

reviews on batt life are good but I worry about having "one more" thing to charge all the time..

I have a Pro-Trek backpacking watch now and it is awesome. solar powered, tracks elevation and has a compass but no "map" and doesn't give distance and speed.

& I don't buy myself all that much these days...

@Road Guy do it! I'm thinking about investing in a Garmin watch myself. But I'm looking at the Forerunner 235. It has great reviews from some others I've talked to about it.

I really like the 235 and would probably get that if it had the built in altimeter. I believe it shows you your elevation after you sync but not during?

I think it will also come in handy for snowshoeing and other winter activities that may not be good to get lost in...

Started running again.  Trying for three times a week.   In week 2.  It rained today so I didn't run. Already making excuses. 
And I had a beer instead.   Did run today though. 

Thanks.  Ran twice this week.  Need one more.   Not as easy as it was when I was in my 30s. 

Ran with my new watch last night before the rain. Man I guess the trail signs along the trail are off. I thought I had been running 5 miles and it appears I have only been running 4.2 L

It’s kind of sucks to look down and be like, shit I am only running a 12.5 minute mile…

Back