--**-- The Infirmary --**--

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ Damn, my parents have a house in Mayfield (~20 miles south). Surprised they didn't say anything about it.

2nd cold in the past 3 weeks.

Damn! Better be gone before vacation in 2 weeks. Must infect entire family now to get it gone before we leave.

Also on my second cold in three weeks, and at work. This sucks. I am drinking hot water.

head ache, cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose... hmmmm, I am pretty sure that all symptons are related to the stuffy nose and I think that I will spend a bit of time in bed with a bottle of nyquil or something simlar today.
I get to spend today. . . working! Wooohoo! I was really confused all morning as I got ready why there weren't any DJs on the radio, and then driving in another radio station had a fill in DJ and the school was closed and it finally dawned on me that it's a 'holiday' for the gov't types. And DJs apparently.

Enjoy your cushy gov't jobs while the rest of us work hard! :poking:

Also on my second cold in three weeks, and at work. This sucks. I am drinking hot water.
Going to work sick is why people repeatedly get multiple colds in the 1st place. Take the sick days - your job is not life or death to the client or you boss.
I would, but I don't get sick days. And I would've taken Friday off, but we had a shareholder's meeting with votes...so that's why I was working...usually, I try to have more consideration for my coworkers about passing around my germs.

head ache, cough, sore throat and a stuffy nose... hmmmm, I am pretty sure that all symptons are related to the stuffy nose and I think that I will spend a bit of time in bed with a bottle of nyquil or something simlar today.
I get to spend today. . . working! Wooohoo! I was really confused all morning as I got ready why there weren't any DJs on the radio, and then driving in another radio station had a fill in DJ and the school was closed and it finally dawned on me that it's a 'holiday' for the gov't types. And DJs apparently.

Don't forget bank employees.

Hey, some of us govt employees still have to work today too.

Going to work sick is why people repeatedly get multiple colds in the 1st place. Take the sick days - your job is not life or death to the client or you boss.
I would, but I don't get sick days. And I would've taken Friday off, but we had a shareholder's meeting with votes...so that's why I was working...usually, I try to have more consideration for my coworkers about passing around my germs.
And what would happen if you physically couldn't make it in to work? Someone would cover for you if something really needed to get done. Everyone gets "sick" days, it just depends on what the company's definition of that is.

And what would happen if you physically couldn't make it in to work? Someone would cover for you if something really needed to get done. Everyone gets "sick" days, it just depends on what the company's definition of that is.
True. At my company, sick days are just taken out of the PTO bank. However, a majority of the employees apparently value their PTO for vaca, as most come to work sick and suffer, sniffle and spread. I guess it's good for the immune systems of the masses.

I get neither sick days, vacation days, holiday pay, or any other type of PTO. If I'm not at work, I don't get paid, simple as that. Makes decision making a lot easier.

I can count on one hand the amount of days I've stayed home sick since college. I just don't seem to get sick. Worst case for me is a scratchy throat and some sniffles.

I am also like chaos...If I'm not there it's not getting done, no one else is working on it; it's just me. I am basically an independent contractor; I work under the umbrella of a corporation for health insurance and what amounts to timesharing of overhead expenses like IT, office space, insurance, and sometimes technical assistants.

I can count on one hand the amount of days I've stayed home sick since college. I just don't seem to get sick. Worst case for me is a scratchy throat and some sniffles.
Same here :thumbs: . I've been with my current employer for 5+ years and in that time I took 1 sick day which turned out to be more of personal day as I wasn't sick and needed to take of some things on the home front.

therein lies a fundamental problem with PTO. The company combines "sick" time and "vacation" time, they are not giving out more vacation time. "sick" time should be used when you are sick.

I used to get 2 weeks of "sick" time and 2 weeks of "vacation" time under the old system. We had the option to join the PTO system where we earn 22 days off + 2days of "extended sick" time (extended sick can only be used after 3 consecutive regular PTO days + doctor's note).

PTO system works alot better for those of us who don't use/need sick time off.

Back