The Felix & his Supersonic dive

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sigh...

...you are entitled to your opinion and I'm not going to change your mind so I'm not going to try.

Again, I can think of riskier tasks out there people do for a job with no love.
not to prolong this, but....exactly what jobs are you thinking of? (please don't list professions like fireman, policeman, military, etc. where the potential for lethal attack or emergency circumstances pose a lethal threat).

^
tumblr_m7a7imo3I01rbvksbo1_500.gif

Off the top of my head... coal miners, high elevation structure or antannae techs, construction workers, oil rig roughneck, or even the operators in the HF plant onsite.

I would have to hazard a guess to say that the fatality rate for people people who have ventured to an altitude above 100,000 feet is much higher then any of those professions.

Off the top of my head... coal miners, high elevation structure or antannae techs, construction workers, oil rig roughneck, or even the operators in the HF plant onsite.
And I suspect years of expereince and subsequent OSHA regualtions on all of these professions have pretty much identified all of the potential hazards associated with these jobs. The regulations are intended to minimize any risks and make the job as safe as possible. Sure accidents happen but they are typically due to some sort of worker error and/or improper training. In other words they get the equivalebnt of "an entire crew who did R&D to mitigate all perceivable risks associated with that stunt".

And I suspect years of expereince and subsequent OSHA regualtions on all of these professions have pretty much identified all of the potential hazards associated with these jobs. The regulations are intended to minimize any risks and make the job as safe as possible. Sure accidents happen but they are typically due to some sort of worker error and/or improper training. In other words they get the equivalebnt of "an entire crew who did R&D to mitigate all perceivable risks associated with that stunt".
And if you attempted this "stunt" a few hundred thousand times I'm pretty sure you'd end up with plenty of failures.

It's fine. You are entitled to have your own opinion...

...even if it's wrong. ;)

and you can pick your friends....

and you can pick your nose....

but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ srsly? :p

... turkey bubbles freeze to nuts fiiled with moose rust :blink:

wait. what were we talking about again?

Oh yeah, how to put a wetsuit on right.

10.gif

Again, I can think of riskier tasks out there people do for a job with no love.
not to prolong this, but....exactly what jobs are you thinking of? (please don't list professions like fireman, policeman, military, etc. where the potential for lethal attack or emergency circumstances pose a lethal threat).
Walmart greeter on Black Friday.

Back