The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made sourdough biscuits last night! They turned out tasty, but only two truly looked like biscuits (with the distinct rise on the sides). I definitely patted the dough out too thin.

Planning on hopefully going through enough bread this week to bake more sourdough this weekend, or next weekend at the latest. 

It was surprisingly easy with my sourdough starter. I'll try your recipe too, once these are gone!

I hope you had musterd and beer with those Leggo!

They look great!

Did you buy sourdough starter? Or go the "wild" route? Looks so flippin' good.
I bought mine from King Arthur Flour. But I think I'll probably start my own at some point too. Depends on how many starters I want to be in charge of, as I also got one sent to me that's osmotolerant, and good for lighter, sweeter breads (like brioche, for example). I have yet to rehydrate it and start to bake with that one, though.

I'm about to get super lazy with my sourdough bread baking this weekend, using this no knead recipe: https://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-bread/

I'd actually rather be able to stick to one of the two recipes I've had successful bakes with earlier in this thread, but my friend's baby shower (twin baby boys!) that I'll be going to tomorrow won't allow me to do that. So instead, I'm deviating from the advice that is to get to know one recipe very well before you experiment with others, and throwing my starter at a fourth recipe in five sourdough bakes (third in four naturally leavened bakes). Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yayyyy more sourdough! I actually went with my normal recipe. and just changed a couple of things per my weekend schedule. I'm pretty happy with the results -- happy enough to freeze my prettier loaf whole, and take it across the country with me this Friday (defrosting on the plane) to gift to my best friend and her fiance!

Here are a couple of pictures of the process (I'm not great at remembering to take pictures before the finished loaf, but remembered to take a few here).

Just after the long proof (I used a different set up here to get prominent rings, and it worked!):

2018-06-11 Fifth Naturally Leavened Sourdough Before Scoring.jpg

Post-scoring, ready to go in the oven!

2018-06-11 Fifth Naturally Leavened Sourdough After Scoring.jpg

Baked:

2018-06-11 Fifth Naturally Leavened Sourdough Loaf.jpg

Yummmm!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back