The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K, I haven't baked in like forever. But this morning, I put the sourdough sponge (essentially, the "mother dough") together for a dozen (!!) bagels I intend to somehow fit into making this weekend. 

I'm really not sure when I'll have time, since I'm going to two birthday parties tomorrow (one in the daytime, outside of the city, and one in the nighttime, luckily in the city), and then going to the A's-Giants game in Oakland on Sunday, which will eat up most of the day.

But hey, homemade bagels are worth it!!

I've made a bazillion batches of superhero muffins lately and a triple berry buttermilk bundt cake but that's it. 

1. It's too hot

2. I'm never home

3. I can't stand my boyfriends oven plus my baking stuff is at my place not his so I'm not particularly inspired to make much while I'm there.

I really wanna bake. But my coworkers are also unappreciative, inconsiderate assholes. But boyf's coworkers like and appreciate my baking so this winter, they get the cookies! 

K, I haven't baked in like forever. But this morning, I put the sourdough sponge (essentially, the "mother dough") together for a dozen (!!) bagels I intend to somehow fit into making this weekend. 

I'm really not sure when I'll have time, since I'm going to two birthday parties tomorrow (one in the daytime, outside of the city, and one in the nighttime, luckily in the city), and then going to the A's-Giants game in Oakland on Sunday, which will eat up most of the day.

But hey, homemade bagels are worth it!!
Did y'all ever end up making sourdough pizza?  That sounded really good.

Muffins galore!

E02A916B-C76D-4D70-9964-0EE6CFD96A72.jpeg

I also made a blueberry lemon buttermilk Bundt cake... Here it is without it's lemon glaze:

2FA90DDA-0950-4B8F-ADA4-68BA73E45367.jpeg

I was and still am super stoked that it came out of its mold without sticking at all!

Oh but we've had no problem eating it! It's not super healthy... It had a lot of butter and a fair amount of sugar in it.

To offset that when the muffins we're being made, I subbed in the butter normally required for the recipe with coconut oil. The muffins required sugar too, but at least it was (much less, by volume) brown sugar.

Yeah, because the person eating an entire bundt cake covered in a sugar glaze is super concerned about counting calories.

Haha! I sure as heck didn't eat the whole thing. Pawned off more than half of it on drunken friends Saturday night. They were willing takers!

46 days until I can bake guilt freeeeeeeeee

My bestie is placing a King Arthur Flour order at some point soon and is getting me a sourdough starter.

So I'll be making sourdough bagels at some point after the exam. And feeding the starter while I study - hope it doesn't die like my cactus 

I just placed a KAF order yesterday... But for some flour. Can't wait for you to get your starter, @LyceeFruit! I use the Peter Reinhardt NY Style method of bagels using my sourdough starter. That's what it's been for the photos (I think) I've posted here! And most of my bread recipes have come from theperfectloaf.com. Maurizio has never led me wrong!

I'll be in Colorado next weekend.  I'll update this thread as needed.
They have professional bakers here, no need to bake your own - you can get pretty much anything in an edible format, from gummy bears, chocolates, pretzels, etc..

I only know by having done research for "science"

But in all reality you should check out one of the larger shops while here, even just to look, its a riot.  I took my Atlanta cop friends to the one in Vegas (its about the size of an Office depot) and they were like What the Fuck world am I in???

I just placed a KAF order yesterday... But for some flour. Can't wait for you to get your starter, @LyceeFruit! I use the Peter Reinhardt NY Style method of bagels using my sourdough starter. That's what it's been for the photos (I think) I've posted here! And most of my bread recipes have come from theperfectloaf.com. Maurizio has never led me wrong!
thanks for the tips! I figured I'd just use whatever KAF had on their site lol

I think she's also getting both of us some flour - I no longer remember what I asked for. But standard KAF flour is easily accessible for us (AP, wheat, whire white, bread, etc) since KAF is considered local, the major grocery store here carries it. I personally don't notice a difference if I use store brand or KAF but KAF is an employee-owned company and local so I find that important to support

Hey bakers - what do you use for mixers than can power through the occasional heavy/thick dough?  Mrs. Supe wants a KitchenAid mixer,  and I'm wondering if the Classic Plus is good enough, or if we need to shell out the big bucks for the Artisan series.  She mostly does cookies/cakes, very rarely a bread or biscuit dough.

Hey bakers - what do you use for mixers than can power through the occasional heavy/thick dough?  Mrs. Supe wants a KitchenAid mixer,  and I'm wondering if the Classic Plus is good enough, or if we need to shell out the big bucks for the Artisan series.  She mostly does cookies/cakes, very rarely a bread or biscuit dough.
The standard KitchenAid (with dough hook recommended) should work fine. We love ours.

Back