The Baking Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of us in Colorado and Washington also have our "special" brownie recipes.
giphy.gif

I lied.  I didn't make pumpkin pie.  I picked up my farm share and someone foisted a half-dozen, over ripe, bananas onto me.  I instead made pumpkin banana bread?  Utilizing buckwheat honey as my moisture?  Never made the recipe before, so I'm trying it now for breakfast.  Butter and drizzled honey on a slice.

My mother used to make buckwheat pancakes and I swear those things would practically mummify me, they were so dry. Ugh. 

Paying a friend to make pies for Thanksgiving. I'll post them like I baked them. 

My mother used to make buckwheat pancakes and I swear those things would practically mummify me, they were so dry. Ugh. 

Paying a friend to make pies for Thanksgiving. I'll post them like I baked them. 
Strangely enough, my grandmother used to get buckwheat pancake mix from a friend, and they were the best pancakes I've ever had.  I never was able to figure out what brand the mix was after she passed, and after trying three or four, just gave up looking.

Strangely enough, my grandmother used to get buckwheat pancake mix from a friend, and they were the best pancakes I've ever had.  I never was able to figure out what brand the mix was after she passed, and after trying three or four, just gave up looking.
My mother has a cooking skill that allows her to turn anything good bad. 

It came from this cookbook, which she kept as a Bible: https://www.amazon.com/JANE-BRODYS-GOOD-FOOD-BOOK/dp/B0082AHK5I/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6A1BNWFZYSYR930FZ7FG

I'm now dying that it's "Living the High Carbohydrate Way." That doesn't sound keto. 

Here's the recipe:

YIELD

ACTIVE TIME

TOTAL TIME

INGREDIENTS

• Dry ingredients for a mix for 16
    • 2 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
    • 1 1/3 cups unbleached flour
    • 1 cup corn meal (or oat, millet or buckwheat)
    • 1/2 cup wheat germ
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 4 tsp baking powder
    • 2 tsp baking soda
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 cup dried buttermilk mix
    • 1/3 cup powdered non-fat milk
    • To make a batch for 4 servings:
    • 1 1/2 cup mix
    • 1 1/4 cup water
    • 1 egg white
    • 1 TBsp oil
    • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    • yogurt, fruit and syrup (optional)

PREPARATION

1. To make the mix, thoroughly combine all the dry ingredients and store in container in a dark place. To make enough pancakes for 4 people, combine the liquid ingredients and quickly stir them into 1 1/2 cups of the mix. Add more mix or water to make the thickness you prefer. Pour cakes into a very hot greased skillet and flip when ready. Top with yogurt instead of the traditional butter and fruit and syrup.

I made chocolate chip cookies last night for a friend's birthday today. But the mix was premade. They look good!

Didn't taste them (probably a mistake) because I only made one dozen, and there are going to be 10 people at the house tonight... I didn't want to show up with 10 or 11 cookies, haha!

Didn't taste them (probably a mistake) because I only made one dozen, and there are going to be 10 people at the house tonight... I didn't want to show up with 10 or 11 cookies, haha!
You can't bake cookies and not taste them. I think it's punishable by death in some places, at least in the south.

Back