The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ever since I was little I have wanted a 68-69 Camaro.  I am only 39 so its not like I grew up with one or anything and I am not a grease monkey, so I'm probably not the typical owner of one.  Still I cant help but drool over them.  I am able now to get one if I want and have been looking for a few months.  I've found this 68 local that has had a frame off restoration.  I've shown it to a friend that owns one and a few other peeps that are more mechanically minded than me and they have all given the go ahead.  My wife loves the idea and I can kick the old truck out of the garage and keep this thing in a semi-conditioned area.  I'm looking for a reason to not do it.  Can anyone talk me out of this? 
Clean car, not so original that you wouldn't want to drive it, nope, you're screwed.  Give that man his money.

The only reason to not buy that car is that everywhere you go old dudes with ponytails and sleeveless denim jackets will be talking your ear off!

The only reason to not buy that car is that everywhere you go old dudes with ponytails and sleeveless denim jackets will be talking your ear off!
On the bright side - at least it's not an early Corvette.  Then it'd be flag jackets with socks and sandals.

Nice looking car.  There are a lot of 68-69 Camaros around.  If you’re confident in your friends recommendation and the price is right.  Go for it.

350?  Auto or 4-speed?

On the bright side - at least it's not an early Corvette.  Then it'd be flag jackets with socks and sandals.
Lol I used to work with a dude that owned a 60-something corvette. He always wore his flag pollo, the flag jacket when it was cold, had flag pins on his backpack, and drank out of a flag coffee mug. I didn't know there were others like him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol I used to work with a dude that owned a 60-something corvette. He always wore his flag pollo, the flag jacket when it was cold, had flag pins on his backpack, and drank out of a flag coffee mug. I didn't know there were others like him!
I'd put money on him having at least one of the creepy car show dolls, too.

18n3j3z2skwkfjpg.jpg

Nice looking car.  There are a lot of 68-69 Camaros around.  If you’re confident in your friends recommendation and the price is right.  Go for it.

350?  Auto or 4-speed?
350, 4 speed.

Clean car, not so original that you wouldn't want to drive it, nope, you're screwed.  Give that man his money.
My thoughts too.  I dont want to be afraid to drive it and maybe put in AC and bluetooth.  If it was numbers matching original (I wouldn't be able to afford it for one thing), I wouldn't want to change it or drive it.   Not the case here.  Yall aren't much help.  I guess I'll have to go get it.  Ill let you know.

$1400 gets you a Vintage Air Surefit setup for early F body.  That's the way to go.

If you're looking for an excuse, the only thing I can come up with is maintenance.  From the picture, it looks like a carb.  Could mean there would need to be some adjusting of mechanicals, i.e. jets, points, etc. at times and since you admit you're not a grease monkey....  On the other hand, since it's all mechanical, you could take to a shop and it probably wouldn't be terribly expensive to get work done.  If it had been updated to fuel injection there might not be as much routine fiddling, but when you did take it to the shop, they'd just charge you a lot more to hook it up to a computer.

Okay, so it isn't really an excuse so much as an argument going full circle back to buying the car...but I tried. 🥴

Looks sharp!   Were going to Ouray in August if you want to come hit up Black Bear Trail with us?

Not sure I want to try that in a vehicle (other than a "REAL" Jeep). I mountain biked that about 15 years ago. It's beautiful, but very technical. Not sure I trust my offroading silz that much yet.

Make sure you blast the CW McCall song the whole time you're riding that trail!

I've got a buddy that tried to do it a couple years ago but he was too early in the season and there was too much snow.  I might check and see if he's done it since them.

Make sure you blast the CW McCall song the whole time you're riding that trail!

I've got a buddy that tried to do it a couple years ago but he was too early in the season and there was too much snow.  I might check and see if he's done it since them.
"Doggone-it, Roy Gene!  How many times do I have to 'splain it to you?  When I tell you to put a rock under the wheel, I mean ROCK!"

on my 2002 Tahoe it keeps blowing the fuse for the ATC (Auto transfer case for the 4WD)  the "internets" say this happens often with drastic changes in weather ( and we have had 60's one day, 20's the next) but still seems odd.

Any other chevy truck owners with the Auto 4 Wheel Drive button have this issue?  Its  a cheap fix but I am thinking something larger looms?

Back