The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read some people saying it's ok to drive with no oil in the front diff if you don't put it in 4WD... but I'm not sure I buy that since Jeeps don't have locking hubs and the front axles/driveshaft are always spinning?

If it's really upwards of $600 (and I can't see it being much less than $400), I probably won't bother getting the seals replaced.  This isn't a daily driver for me--I mostly keep it around for hauling stuff I don't want to put in one of the "nice" cars, and for plowing snow.

If the R&P are spinning, needs oil.  Even with no real load the gears and bearings will get crazy hot and start eating themselves.

Sounds like MP needs to Uber it home tonight. :(
Ha ha, we don't even have Uber available here.

I'm not expecting to run with the diff empty, but I'll have to keep a close eye on the oil level to make sure it doesn't leak too much.

I learned something new over the weekend - through the horrible app known as "nextdoor"

Summary:

• Guy at Soccer Park was there for his kids soccer game has his car keyed (Tesla)
  • Tesla's apparently snap photos when there is movement detected around the car when it is parked
  • Results-- Fairly good evidence of the activity taking place
  • This quickly escalated from Nextdoor to FB, then to the local Denver news, hope they catch this woman!
(Also now I am going to have to make faces and do funny dances when I park next to Tesla's from now on)

IMG_2022.PNGIMG_2023.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
My car has been dropped off at the stealership... Just waiting for the call to tell me how much $$ I have to give them on top of what I already will be paying for the regular service!

I drop my car off next week for inspection at the dealership (they have a shuttle). here's hoping i'm not asked for the tint certificate again since i don't have one and told him that last year.

What the heck is a tint certificate?
Several states have inspections that require them to check the % tint as part of the inspection.  I guess some give you separate paperwork indicating it checks out OK.  NC puts it all on the same inspection report, but they charge you extra to do the tint check.

Oh, like tiny in the windows? For some reason, my mind first went to the tiny of the color of your car, about which I would not know why anyone would really care.

I do know some states have regulations about the window tint though.

Oh, like tiny in the windows? For some reason, my mind first went to the tiny of the color of your car, about which I would not know why anyone would really care.

I do know some states have regulations about the window tint though.
Yes, window tint.  They limit the percentage (and coverage for the windshield) for driver and officer safety.

MIL took the 'rolla to the stealership while we were camping in the woods last week to take care of some recalls (thanks, Takata...).  They found numerous other areas of concern and wanted to help her get the car right for a nominal fee since she was already there.  For example, a rear taillight was out and they were about to charge her $100 to change it.  I did it when I got back for about $4.  They also wanted to do coolant change (did it early this year, still niiiiiice and pink), plug change (did it early this year), air filter change, and remove the air in the tires and fill it up with nitrogen.   :rolleyes:   Thankfully she didn't do any of it.  They're "stealerships" for a reason.  They didn't even give the 'rolla a complimentary wash.

So I finally bought the bullet on the impact gun and got the wife's oil cannister off (with just one pull of the trigger) - (from my oil changing story a while back)

The annoying part was I couldn't find the can where I keep my "fittings" for my air tools and was just an hour of throwing shit around the garage, only too make another trip to home depot..

Id say based on the look of the filter the place we paid to change the oil didn't change it either, it was literally in pieces.. but the impact gun was cool as shit, I may go back to doing my own tire rotations just to be able to use it for something..

@roadwreck - on the same type cannister I put a hose on the end of the "plug" that helps drain the oil cannister and it makes a huge difference in the amount of "spill" that occurs - not sure the size but maybe 5/8"?  makes it a breeze..

@roadwreck - on the same type cannister I put a hose on the end of the "plug" that helps drain the oil cannister and it makes a huge difference in the amount of "spill" that occurs - not sure the size but maybe 5/8"?  makes it a breeze..
Good tip.  

I recently purchased an oil extractor to assist with oil changes on the VW.  Since the filter is on top of the engine I "should" be able to change the oil without needing to get under the car.  Also looking forward to using it for the lawn mower oil change, which is always a PIA. 

So I am overdue in changing the lubricant in my front and rear differentials - This looks pretty straightforward on the "youtube", its just not something I've done before - any real tricks to it?

Have a drain pan that'll fit under the diff and go for it. If you split the diff, be sure to have RTV sealant and / or gasket maker on hand to seal things back up. This "repair" is probably the easiest lube changes there is.

Latest posts

Back