The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man from reading the article looks like some overpaid UAW forgot to put some grease on the driveshaft during assembly?  Id hope they would find out who did that and make sure they got the job at starbucks they deserve!

Just scheduled a 75k checkup for my little Suby for next week, mainly because it hasn't been checked out for a while and has a kind of annoying rattle under the hood that makes the car sound scary but we were once told it was just a minor weld that was coming apart a little bit. Anyway, it doesn't sound great when it's being driven, though the car drives just fine and actually isn't driven that much besides the weekly grocery trip and occasional weekend trips (like Yosemite this past weekend).

I'm kind of not looking forward to seeing what they pull on me... But will do my best to not get swindled by the stealership!

Just scheduled a 75k checkup for my little Suby for next week, mainly because it hasn't been checked out for a while and has a kind of annoying rattle under the hood that makes the car sound scary but we were once told it was just a minor weld that was coming apart a little bit. Anyway, it doesn't sound great when it's being driven, though the car drives just fine and actually isn't driven that much besides the weekly grocery trip and occasional weekend trips (like Yosemite this past weekend).

I'm kind of not looking forward to seeing what they pull on me... But will do my best to not get swindled by the stealership!
I had something similar with my old Chevy Cavalier and it turned out to be a heat shield rattling against the exhaust. Simply bent it back toward the car and problem was solved.

Haha probably.

We actually do need new windshield wipers but I know you can just pop 'em on and off and they're like $20 at an auto parts store.

Haha probably.

We actually do need new windshield wipers but I know you can just pop 'em on and off and they're like $20 at an auto parts store.
I just tried Bosch Icons and they are horrible. Started streaking within a month so I'm going to go back to Rain-X Latitude next time around.

Cheapest prices I have found are at Walmart or on Amazon.

Rock Auto if you can wait 2-3 days for shipping is where I always buy my consumables.

Rock Auto if you can wait 2-3 days for shipping is where I always buy my consumables.
giphy.gif

It hasn't rained here since early June, but it will start to snow in a few weeks so its always a mad dash for folks to replace them after that first event.

I've already bought 10 gallons of windshield washer fluid  cause that shit flies off the shelf faster than the wiper blades...

Good to be prepared.

I just ordered some Rain-X windshield wipers for my car. It won't actually start to rain here until around November, but I've been meaning to get new wipers for like a year now, at least. Nothing like the reality of a trip to the stealership to help me get them!

The front axle U-joins on my XJ needed replacing , so went ahead and got axle shafts replaced, along with wheel bearings and brakes.  Now the front left axle leaks.  I'm assuming the axle seal is bad.  It's not leaking a ton--maybe a couple teaspoons after I drive my normal commute.  Safe to continue driving, and keep an eye on the fluid in the diff?

Replacing the seal looks a bit more involved than I'm willing to do myself.  The kicker here is the shop that did the work (I assume he didn't replace the axle seal in the process) went out of business literally a couple days after the work was done.  I haven't priced out having the seals replaced at another shop, but I'm guessing a few hundred $$.

@mudpuppy, I'm dealing with a similar issue with the wife's truck.  We had a bunch of front end work completed (including fluid changes in the diff's) and the shop royally messed up the seals.  As they had a really tough time finding the original issue that brought the truck to them in the first place without my direct intervention, I'm working with another shop to get the repairs done.

Leaking seals are something to keep an eye on as the diff fluid can get low, causing a more costly repair; plus as it leaks onto the brakes, can damage the pads / cause ineffective braking conditions.  I would recommend finding another shop to get both seals replaced before winter hits.  

The cost from my '12 ram 3500 was $600 for seal replacement, including a front end alignment and u-joint upgrades.

He probably damaged it during axle install/removal (easy to pinch the lip).  Front axle leak not as important as rear.  Should be fine to keep driving if diff level is OK.

Back