The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never run into these canister filters.  Are they only in foreign cars, or do any USA  cars have them?
They're becoming the new standard, especially on 4 bangers.  Even my 08 Saturn had one, and I know the Ecotec engines have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out I lied... come to think of it, my 1979 Yamaha XS750 had a cartridge filter.  It was a PITA because there was an O-ring you had to fit just right in the filter cover and it you didn't get it in the groove right it would be pinched and ruined if you tightened the cover down on it.  I went through several O-rings on that damn thing.

I've got a canister fuel filter on the diesel...does that count?

Gets changed every 15,000 miles or so.  It's in a big plastic housing right on the frame rail on the driver's side so at least it's pretty easy to get to.  Has a handy dandy spot for a 32mm socket on the bottom for taking it off, but being plastic, there are lot's of stories of the housing breaking off (common enough that you can get a replacement on Amazon for $30).  I use a socket wrench in conjunction with a strap wrench. 

FYI, in case anyone was wondering about JK car issues.  Looked at my horn wire and it corroded right where it connects to the actual horn.  Wanted to figure out how to fix it, but was getting frustrated by my dad 'helping', so I took it to an auto stereo shop.  Guy fixed it for $10, I gave him a $20 for getting it done with no frills.

Thank god.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Durango does have the best towing capacity for the V6's until you get into the luxury European SUV's.  The Traverse is probably the most cost-effective.

If you get the Durango make sure to get the tow package with the extra engine and transmission cooler - I had a v8 Durango with no tow package and it would overheat like a SOB. But it was pulling a "huge" boat..

But I for the money and long term gains I don't think you  get much better fuel efficiency with the V6 over the V8 - Its like you are slightly over stressing the smaller V6

Re-done'd the front brakes on the Silver Bullet (my 'rolla) this weekend.  The DS brake had been pseudo-stuck and really cooking the rotor for a while.  Ended up replacing rotor, hose, pads, caliper piston, piston boot, and slide pin boots on the DS.  The PS got the pad, rotor, and slide pin boots treatment.  New brake fluid and brakes work like newish.  Two weeks I got new tires so now i have no hesitation taking corners with a little spirit.

now i have no hesitation taking corners with a little spirit.
images

If you get the Durango make sure to get the tow package with the extra engine and transmission cooler - I had a v8 Durango with no tow package and it would overheat like a SOB. But it was pulling a "huge" boat..

But I for the money and long term gains I don't think you  get much better fuel efficiency with the V6 over the V8 - Its like you are slightly over stressing the smaller V6
But pop-ups weigh next to nothing so the V6 shouldn't have any problem with it.

Yeah I agree but it just seems the V8's hold there value down the road in terms of resale and trade in - I always go with the V8 if I have an option.

Very true.  Do the V8 Durangos have the cylinder deactivation?

Even though you might only use 4wd a handful of times here in the Cincy area, you still always get it because resale is better.

the one on my jeep is on the top of the engine and IMO it s awesome, easy to replace, no mess.. the Toyota version just sucks - I will probably just have the wife take it and get the oil changed at the old shop we used, they only charge $45 bucks- but you have to leave it all day..

also thanks for stopping by RW!
So the one on my new car is on top of the engine.  Haven't had to change the oil yet, but looking forward to having easy access to the oil filter.   In other news, I got rid of my dependable & economical Honda Fit for a VW Golf R.  I'm an idiot but the car is a riot. :D

Anyone see the Ford Ranger commercials on MNF last night?  Not sure why it took Ford 20+ years to figure out that a 4 door Ranger would sell - the thing looks pretty sharp - & The Classic Ranger was probably one of the most reliable vehicles they made - I had 2 that each went to 150K miles on 4 bangers with no issues.

The smaller pickups aren't going to sell that great unless they cut prices considerably.  The Colorado numbers weren't great, and the Ranger initial numbers were just OK.  The problem is that they're mid-sized pickups, not compacts, and the 4 door models only have 5 foot beds.  A decently optioned one will run you just south of $50K before tax/title/BS.  At that point, you're already into a mid level Silverado.  If you want a stripper truck, it's only $7K difference and the Silverado has more cargo, more towing capacity (even the 4 banger has a higher tow rating than the Colorado), and newer interior.  They're just so close to one another cash wise for the most part, that it borders on "not worth it" to look at the smaller truck when you get to that point.  I'd have killed for GM to come back with a "real" S10.

But everything is in the $40K range these days though - If they stay $10 grand under the Tacoma they will probably do well.  I don't think I will ever need a full size truck to be honest. Even if I had room to park it I just don't know what I would do with it - My future may include a tear drop trailer but that's about the extent of it.

A guy I worked with got the Chevy Colorado and it just is an odd truck, it reminded me of that weird truck car Subaru tried to make. It just doesn't drive very well - and not very comfortable - it actually rides worse than riding shotgun in a 4 runner.

That Gladiator is growing on me, but its way out of my price range, but they don't look right without 35's at least.

Latest posts

Back