The Automotive Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what a load of carp. The GM safety police are now in panic CYA mode.

My neighbor has a 201 HHR. He's a salesman and he drives all over creation. The repair part is on back-order at the local Chevy dealer. He went down and said he felt "unsafe" driving the car so they gave him a new Buick rental car until the part comes in. He's had it for a week and a half so far. What a freakin scam...and a waste of money.

k7zclimbrtw1phrvgu4p.jpg

I believe the loan has been repaid or forgiven. Thanks to Obama.

what a load of carp. The GM safety police are now in panic CYA mode.

My neighbor has a 201 HHR. He's a salesman and he drives all over creation. The repair part is on back-order at the local Chevy dealer. He went down and said he felt "unsafe" driving the car so they gave him a new Buick rental car until the part comes in. He's had it for a week and a half so far. What a freakin scam...and a waste of money.
I have noticed a ton of lawyer commercials on TV

looking for people to sue GM.

Does a timing belt make a Light squeaking noise before it breaks?
What Matt said. I'm guessing they probably put a new belt on when they replaced the pump. My Dodge Ram had a pretty bad chirp from the first time I test drove it which the sales guy said they would fix. I told them the serpentine belt was out of alignment. They said it was a bad belt so they replaced it. Still chirped. I told them the serpentine belt was out of alignment. They said it was a bad pulley so they replaced it and it still chirped. I told them the serpentine belt was out of alignment. They said it was the tensioner so they replaced it and it kept chirping. I told them the serpentine belt was out of alignment. They finally checked the pulleys and found out the PS pulley was a little off. They fixed that and it's been quiet ever since.

Take it back and tell them to align the pulley on the new pump.

not to mention that timing belts are usually toothed belts because the engine timing really cant tolerate any slippage ans still run right. They just up and fail with time which is why it's crucial to change them out at the recommended interval. Any manuf that sells a car with an interferenc motor and a timing belt is a douchebag IMHO. But I'm sure they're out there.

My car has what is called an "engine toothed belt" that is recommended to be changed at 120,000 km or 8 years, whichever comes first. It was done in 2011. I have had a timing belt failure once many years ago in a Mercury Lynx but no engine damage occurred, everything stopped including the valves and pistons.

So I never updated...

Took the car back and they said the pulley was also broken so they replaces that an said for the "hassle" of them

Not fixing it right first time they pit on a new free serpentine drive belt...

Was fine for about two weeks now it squeaks noisier than it did before?

I've got to get some new tires soon so I am just going to get it looked at at 4-wheel drive parts... They were pretty good people back home...(when I put the new tires on)....

not to mention that timing belts are usually toothed belts because the engine timing really cant tolerate any slippage ans still run right. They just up and fail with time which is why it's crucial to change them out at the recommended interval. Any manuf that sells a car with an interferenc motor and a timing belt is a douchebag IMHO. But I'm sure they're out there.

Add GM/Daewoo to the douchebag list, for my Aveo. Recommended timing belt replacement is 60k miles and I'm at 58k, so I'd better start looking into that.

So the Land Cruiser needs leaf springs, we got new tires and now the fenders are rubbing...can't decide whether or not to go with new springs or used springs for the half price.

So the Land Cruiser needs leaf springs, we got new tires and now the fenders are rubbing...can't decide whether or not to go with new springs or used springs for the half price. 
Get new if you intend to run the vehicle into the ground. Used will wear out faster and you'll have to repair them again.

Just realized I've never posted a pic of the LC...

1985_LC.jpg

Tex Jr. ran it through a puddle...This was before the new tires.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ even with that photo, I'd go with new. Dont want to blow out the suspension too soon; especially with the puddle jumping going on!

Back